Which regulations cover the safety of an alternate supply connected to switchboard? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which regulations cover the safety of an alternate supply connected to switchboar

I opted for Off-Line Configuration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Which regulations cover the safety of an alternate supply connected to switchboar

The reason attached hereto.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenT View Post
    I opted for Off-Line Configuration.

That is the UPS internal circuit.

You still need the external bypass switch.

The main reason for the external bypass is for safety should something go wrong with the UPS and it needs to be removed/rest/repaired.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/11/30 at 11:57 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

The new “PV Standard” SANS10142-1-2 (2021) has been published and is now law.

Was supposed to be middle 2022 ... but it is out.

All new installations and any alterations on old systems will need to comply

The following is the main points:

1. Labelling requirements have been updated dramatically and I would recommend budgeting significantly more for labelling as everything needs to be labelled twice at least.
    2. Requirement for a Disconnector has been brought in, with the following statement: “This disconnector shall be lockable and accessible to the supplier, which is typically located within or near the boundary of the owner’s property.”
    3. Single Line Diagrams are now to be displayed at points of isolation/control (e.g. at main DB)
    4. The installer shall ensure that a Planned Maintenance and Operations manual for the specific system is handed over
    5. The new Test Sheet in 10142-1-2 shall form part of the CoC and shall be done by the installation electrician.
    6. You need metal conduits if DC cables are longer than 5meters. ( ... this 5m point being questioned as I post this)
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	638230

And if not connected to the grid?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	638230

And if not connected to the grid?
    Then use the Standards as a Guide to Good Practices.

May help you in the case of an insurance claim if the system is compliant in the applicable areas.

Could also save somebodies life.

-------------------------

It's worth noting that a stand alone facility, even if it is not connected to the grid, still needs to be compliant in the applicable areas.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    That is the UPS internal circuit.

You still need the external bypass switch.

The main reason for the external bypass is for safety should something go wrong with the UPS and it needs to be removed/rest/repaired.
    Good day Fluffy, >>>UPS internal circuit<<< maybe on some. Mercer seems not and my Meanwell definitely not. Why I went for the offline configuration due to reasons on the Spread Sheet is sent sent higher up....

>>>You still need the external bypass switch<<< Affirmative by law (same as on a geyser, Aircon etc. - Isolation switch within 1? meter to protect the Sparkie)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    The new “PV Standard” SANS10142-1-2 (2021) has been published and is now law.

Was supposed to be middle 2022 ... but it is out.

All new installations and any alterations on old systems will need to comply

The following is the main points:

1. Labelling requirements have been updated dramatically and I would recommend budgeting significantly more for labelling as everything needs to be labelled twice at least.
    2. Requirement for a Disconnector has been brought in, with the following statement: “This disconnector shall be lockable and accessible to the supplier, which is typically located within or near the boundary of the owner’s property.”
    3. Single Line Diagrams are now to be displayed at points of isolation/control (e.g. at main DB)
    4. The installer shall ensure that a Planned Maintenance and Operations manual for the specific system is handed over
    5. The new Test Sheet in 10142-1-2 shall form part of the CoC and shall be done by the installation electrician.
    6. You need metal conduits if DC cables are longer than 5meters. ( ... this 5m point being questioned as I post this)
    Could you please provide a link for the information mentioned above.
    • 1960's 88" Land-Rover Series 2A powered by Isuzu C201 (Thermo King generator motor) (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list:2.8TD Isuzu engine transplant, Snorkel, New suspension, 33's on inverted rims, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit and brakes!

"Hierdie Landy het gees." - PhlippieV

Quote Originally Posted by Splitpin View Post
    Could you please provide a link for the information mentioned above.
    Wish I could. Have not bought it.

Was shared on another site by someone who has access, him thinking it a prudent idea to ensure our sparkies have the latest version.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2021/11/30 at 03:00 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

No worries, Found it on the SABS site.
    • 1960's 88" Land-Rover Series 2A powered by Isuzu C201 (Thermo King generator motor) (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list:2.8TD Isuzu engine transplant, Snorkel, New suspension, 33's on inverted rims, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit and brakes!

"Hierdie Landy het gees." - PhlippieV

I have just gone through the process of installing solar at my home. (I am not an electrician.)
    There are wonderfull machines out there and then there are completely outdated, ineffective machines that sell for low prices. The most expensive is not neccesarily the best value for money either. Be carefull, if you buy cheap you will most probably only get what you pay for. Then there are installers that have no idea what they are doing. Quite often good and qualified electricians that have more often than not, no idea how to design the best system for your specific setup. If he cannot supply you with a certificate, he should not be doing the installation.

Make sure you get a practical design and an official certificate for the installation. The first is to get the most bang for your money and the second is for your own safety and the insurance. My system is busy paying for itself and will do that in less than 3 years. Definitely the best return I have ever had on any investment.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK or get a trustworthy knowledgeable person to do it for you.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pieter de Waal For This Useful Post:

I think one must take note of what Pieter just placed. That is in line with my experience chatting to a few installers that jumped on the solar bandwagon.
    He has done a lot of research taking many hours and CAN go deep into the nitty gritty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter de Waal View Post
    I have just gone through the process of installing solar at my home. (I am not an electrician.)
    There are wonderfull machines out there and then there are completely outdated, ineffective machines that sell for low prices. The most expensive is not neccesarily the best value for money either. Be carefull, if you buy cheap you will most probably only get what you pay for. Then there are installers that have no idea what they are doing. Quite often good and qualified electricians that have more often than not, no idea how to design the best system for your specific setup. If he cannot supply you with a certificate, he should not be doing the installation.

Make sure you get a practical design and an official certificate for the installation. The first is to get the most bang for your money and the second is for your own safety and the insurance. My system is busy paying for itself and will do that in less than 3 years. Definitely the best return I have ever had on any investment.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK or get a trustworthy knowledgeable person to do it for you.
    One needs to find the gems out here ... qualified, experienced people at the right, reasonable price.

I have found a few ... and I have seen me arse a few.
    Political Correctness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2