Default Pajero 3-Door 3.2DI-D Gen 4 Price Guide

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a 3d Gen 4 Pajero and have started looking around. There are a few with 200k km on the clock that are going for R250k. Is this roughly the going rate? Just want to get an estimate on what I should be looking at price wise.

Also any tips on what to look out for when going to see them?

Thanks
    Matt

Default Re: Pajero 3-Door 3.2DI-D Gen 4 Price Guide

Quote Originally Posted by matdehaast View Post
    Hi,

I'm interested in getting a 3d Gen 4 Pajero and have started looking around. There are a few with 200k km on the clock that are going for R250k. Is this roughly the going rate? Just want to get an estimate on what I should be looking at price wise.

Also any tips on what to look out for when going to see them?

Thanks
    Matt
    The price sounds about right. Full service history will be good and make sure all the 4x4 functions work. If that checks out you are good to go. Oh, if possible try to get a 2010 with the 140kW engine.

Big difference between the 120 kw engine and the 140 kw.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

The gen 4 came in 2 versions 1st from 2007 to 2010 120kw which should be cheaper , I have a 2008 with 93k on and if I sell will look at around R220 , then the 2nd version with 140kw and a few other upgrades from 2010 to now , they will sell for more probably starting at R250k for a high km one to R600k for a relatively new one , looks like due to this covid thing prices of used cars have gone high , or its just that new car prices have gone up so much .
    You must drive a gen 4 Pajero before purchase , they are not well built and rattle all over the place , but super reliable for the important things , for some reason the inside is not well made , there are some 'fixes' that people have done , but really one should not have to do that , I have had nothing fixed as it does not bother me , its not my daily drive
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Looking for a Gen 3 or Gen 4 3 door if any one ha or knovvz of one. Zorry laptop keyboard got a B&C .
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Hi Mat,

From what I understand from you other post this is for towing your horse box? While the shorty Paj has the same braked rating (3500kg) as the LWB it has a slightly lower Tare (2085kg vs about 2400kg in LBW). That means you have more wiggle room with the LWB with respect to staying within the legal aspects of South African towing regulations. I have no doubt that both (particularly in the high power 3.2 form) will comfortably and safely tow your box.

But to elaborate a bit. The Gen 4 Pajero did come in 2 major engine versions (2007-2010 = 120kw vs 140kw after 2010). The newer motor was not just a simple ECU tune, it was quite a significant reworking of the 3.2 and came with different injectors, turbo, intake manifold and revised gearbox ratios. It has quite a bit more punch than the earlier ones and is much lighter on fuel. Then the 2nd major difference is in the trim specification. GLX = not fancy = cheaper. GLS = more fancy = more expensive. Lastly, there was closer to 4 different generations of the Gen 4 (see here https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum/vehicles). The GLX was dropped around 2013 in South Africa.

The SWB always fetched a premium over the LWB. Similarly, the GLS fetches a premium over the GLX. So to be budget conscious and get the best value for your money I would suggest getting the GLX LWB with the 140kw motor. This will suit your needs very well and overall its a great car. I always believe in servicing my car with someone who genuinely knows the brand I'm driving. Do this with a Paj and you will have a very happy and long life with it.

By the way, have you checked if you have an EB license, most of us younger South Africans were automatically given a B license. That does not allow us to to over 750kg. If you need EB the only way is to begin the process all over again.

Cheers, enjoy the search

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Hi Mat,

From what I understand from you other post this is for towing your horse box? While the shorty Paj has the same braked rating (3500kg) as the LWB it has a slightly lower Tare (2085kg vs about 2400kg in LBW). That means you have more wiggle room with the LWB with respect to staying within the legal aspects of South African towing regulations. I have no doubt that both (particularly in the high power 3.2 form) will comfortably and safely tow your box.

But to elaborate a bit. The Gen 4 Pajero did come in 2 major engine versions (2007-2010 = 120kw vs 140kw after 2010). The newer motor was not just a simple ECU tune, it was quite a significant reworking of the 3.2 and came with different injectors, turbo, intake manifold and revised gearbox ratios. It has quite a bit more punch than the earlier ones and is much lighter on fuel. Then the 2nd major difference is in the trim specification. GLX = not fancy = cheaper. GLS = more fancy = more expensive. Lastly, there was closer to 4 different generations of the Gen 4 (see here https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum/vehicles). The GLX was dropped around 2013 in South Africa.

The SWB always fetched a premium over the LWB. Similarly, the GLS fetches a premium over the GLX. So to be budget conscious and get the best value for your money I would suggest getting the GLX LWB with the 140kw motor. This will suit your needs very well and overall its a great car. I always believe in servicing my car with someone who genuinely knows the brand I'm driving. Do this with a Paj and you will have a very happy and long life with it.

By the way, have you checked if you have an EB license, most of us younger South Africans were automatically given a B license. That does not allow us to to over 750kg. If you need EB the only way is to begin the process all over again.

Cheers, enjoy the search
    Quite correct. The cylinder head is evidently also different and improved, providing improved performance.
    Peter

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Hi Mat,

Cheers, enjoy the search
    ChasingSunsets thank you so much for all the great info!

Assuming the same engine, I assume the LWB has the same fuel consumption or roughly the same as the SWB?

Its my GF that will be doing the towing and she's got an EC license. So that is not a problem.

If you are going to be towing then I would definitely look for a Gen4 with 140kw engine. I went from a Gen3 to a Gen4 and the loss on torque between them particularly when towing is very noticeable and I tried a lot of them before I made my choice. 140kw introduced in late twenty10.
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2021/10/24 at 03:27 PM.
    Peter