Default Gate Motor Problem

I have a problem with my Gemini gate motor. When I press the remote it opens too far, past its limit. It then stays there and wont close. When I press the remote to close it, nothing happens. I can hear a click but it wont move. Anybody have some advice please? Can it be the battery that needs replacing?
    2004 Grand Cherokee 2.7 Overland Montana Pretoria

Default Re: Gate Motor Problem

You need to reset the limits it would appear as your program appears to have become corrupted. It is easy to do when you have the manual.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

I've had this with centurion gate motors. There is chopper disc which electronics uses to measure distance travelled. If this disc or sensor is dirty or damaged. The motor drives past end stop and then goes into fault mode. Have to basically clean and reprogramm to get it to work.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wylie E For This Useful Post:

I did reset the limits but still does the same. So I suspect it must be a faulty disk you mentioned. Is this the disc?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No it is inside unit the picture you posted is the origin magnet. Once this magnet passes sensor motor starts count on disc inside where it counts so it knows where to slow before it reaches end stop. This so it doesnt bash into end stop at full force. It does the same when it closes so as to do a soft close.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    No it is inside unit the picture you posted is the origin magnet. Once this magnet passes sensor motor starts count on disc inside where it counts so it knows where to slow before it reaches end stop. This so it doesnt bash into end stop at full force. It does the same when it closes so as to do a soft close.
    Thanks a lot. That makes sense. Looks like I need an expert to fix it.

I have a similar issue with my centurion motor, in my case its intermittent and its due to where my rail joins the one tooth is slightly shorter an sometimes the motor skips the tooth and then goes a tad too far.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

What helped me is i opened the gate by hand and then locked it again. Then press the button. Self learn mode of the limits
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by Sam vd Merwe View Post
    What helped me is i opened the gate by hand and then locked it again. Then press the button. Self learn mode of the limits
    Hi Sam is you gate motor D3 evo or what motor is it?

Its a old one. But i google it. You tube got the vid somewhere
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

If it an old one D3. To program it you need to disconnect charger and battery. There is on the rhs near connector a jumper that needs to be bridged. When you put power back status will flash and then co.e on solid. With gate engaged half distance. L1 led with be illuminated. Press the button and hold until L2 illuminates. Press the button for about 2 seconds then release. The gate will then go to end stops and back and forth twice. It will stop in pedestrian open position. Should not do that and fail then your chopper disc sensor is dirty or fail. If stopped ok remove jumper and then gate should work again.

You need a new battery.
    SPOON!

My highjack of this thread please.

I have an old D5. Usually it works just fine and always closes nicely. The battery is quite new and I replaced the PC board as well.

Problem is on opening. Sometimes but without a fixed pattern, it decides to only open partially. If you try a few times it might then decide to open properly. The other trick is to jump out of the car and give it a helping hand by pushing a little. This is an intermittent problem which may be more prevalent in inclement weather, but might also just be my imagination.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by waldo_g View Post
    My highjack of this thread please.

I have an old D5. Usually it works just fine and always closes nicely. The battery is quite new and I replaced the PC board as well.

Problem is on opening. Sometimes but without a fixed pattern, it decides to only open partially. If you try a few times it might then decide to open properly. The other trick is to jump out of the car and give it a helping hand by pushing a little. This is an intermittent problem which may be more prevalent in inclement weather, but might also just be my imagination.

Any ideas?
    Make sure your battery connections are tight and no corrosion. Also check that the bearings in rollers are not binding. All can add to problems

Related
    My D5 starts misbehaving - not opening all the way, and when I set the limits the shyte starts!

It picks up the first stop(open) but not the second stop(closed)!
    I tried to let it pick the closed stop first (by releasing and moving the gate to another position) but it searches open first.
    Sometimes it hits the stop and gets jammed(stalled) - big headache, lift gate up over stop to fix!
    Replacing battery helps sometimes!
    Any tips or advice will be nice!
    Beware the wrath of a calm man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lappies Labuschagne View Post
    Related
    My D5 starts misbehaving - not opening all the way, and when I set the limits the shyte starts!

It picks up the first stop(open) but not the second stop(closed)!
    I tried to let it pick the closed stop first (by releasing and moving the gate to another position) but it searches open first.
    Sometimes it hits the stop and gets jammed(stalled) - big headache, lift gate up over stop to fix!
    Replacing battery helps sometimes!
    Any tips or advice will be nice!
    Check where the lock mechanism is if there is oil seeping out below the locking wheel, your chopper disc which sensor picks up is probably full of oil so it cant measure same run every time. You need to strip unit down and clean out completely. Replace seals there are 3 o rings and a main seal behind the gear that drives gate. When all clean and put together. Reinstall and put about 80ml oil back into gearbox via filling hole below where battery sits. Then it should function again. Have about 3 or 4 rebuilds like this already.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    Check where the lock mechanism is if there is oil seeping out below the locking wheel, your chopper disc which sensor picks up is probably full of oil so it cant measure same run every time. You need to strip unit down and clean out completely. Replace seals there are 3 o rings and a main seal behind the gear that drives gate. When all clean and put together. Reinstall and put about 80ml oil back into gearbox via filling hole below where battery sits. Then it should function again. Have about 3 or 4 rebuilds like this already.
    Seems I will have to go that route.
    What kind of oil do I use?
    Beware the wrath of a calm man.

I've used Castrol gtx oil. Has same consistency as the stuff Centurion supplies. When stripping you need to take 4 torque screws out then locking wheel comes off. The sensor is in vertical tube on top of where chopper disc is. Pull sensor out and fitting has bayonet fitting. Take circlip out of drive cog and cog should come off. Turn shaft pin to 12/6 position and knock pin out. If these 2 items are difficult to remove you will need wheel puller and a drift to knock pin out. Clean and use water paper or sand paper to get them to go on freely again. Once you remove motor, 2 screws on top. You then need to remove the mount for motor. The drive shaft can now be removed. Then you can tap main drive shaft out. The bearings on main shaft and bottom of drive shaft are open bearings (no seals) the top bearing on drive shaft is a semi sealed bearing and have had to replace as ants and sand had got into it. The rest were washed out with petrol or paraffin. There's a small o ring that fit into housing behind chopper disc and seals release shaft. The other 2 big o rings seal back plate to housing whe locking wheel is fastened back into place. Note orientation for sensor pipe. The shroud behind cog has 2 torque screws and 4 clips hold it into place. There is a normal spring loaded seal behind it. Reassembly is basically reverse of disassembly. Good luck.
    Last edited by Wylie E; 2021/10/25 at 10:27 AM.