Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Hi everyone,

    I've been trawling the forums for the last few days and have seen so much good information. What an amazing community! I'm basically looking for a second hand 4x4 that can be used for towing a horsebox legally. We also want to use it for trips up to Namabia now that we have family that are moving there.

    Requirements:
    * License TARE over 2000kg
    * GCM and Towing Capacity of vehicle can tow 2000kg

    I've roughly narrowed it down to Pajero LWB or Prado. Any recommendations on year/model or is there other vehicles worth also looking at? I know the Disco is also very capable, I'm just so nervous they have issue later in life and can be expensive to repair


    Initially I was nervous of getting a second hand car, but it seems lots of people here have had good luck with vehicles over 200k. Anything other tips and things to watch out for when buying second hand?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,214
    Thanked: 834

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    I will probably get shot for this, but a 3.0 TDi T2 Touareg is a very capable towing vehicle, it will certainly be cheaper to buy than the other options you have listed. It is only a 5 seater (where the others are 7 seaters), so not sure if that is a requirement. Keep the extra money saved on the purchase price for repairs and maintenance. The V10 will tow the horse box like it isn't even there, but the risk of expensive maintenance is higher.


    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

    '07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

    '01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,798
    Thanked: 2691

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by matdehaast View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I've been trawling the forums for the last few days and have seen so much good information. What an amazing community! I'm basically looking for a second hand 4x4 that can be used for towing a horsebox legally. We also want to use it for trips up to Namabia now that we have family that are moving there.

    Requirements:
    * License TARE over 2000kg
    * GCM and Towing Capacity of vehicle can tow 2000kg

    I've roughly narrowed it down to Pajero LWB or Prado. Any recommendations on year/model or is there other vehicles worth also looking at? I know the Disco is also very capable, I'm just so nervous they have issue later in life and can be expensive to repair


    Initially I was nervous of getting a second hand car, but it seems lots of people here have had good luck with vehicles over 200k. Anything other tips and things to watch out for when buying second hand?
    As per many threads on the trailer section and eslwehre, make sure the GVM of your trailer is below the tare of the tow vehicle, otherwise you are looking at an illegal tow combo. The prado had 1500kg tow rating for most of its life, so make sure you confirm that the specific vehicle you are looking at has a greater than 1500kg tow rating.

    I think any SUV will make a great tow vehicle. I would not overlook fotuners as I see loads of them towing horse boxes around Kyalami. If the budget stretches higher, i think the cruisers/patrols will also make for a great tow vehicle.

    Post some options of what you are looking at. For sourcing a vehicle Perti Osshuizen has a very good reputation here on the forum. HenriS also seems to assist a few members with giving potential buys a once over and also seems to get very good reviews.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hillrise, Kempton Park
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,583
    Thanked: 2595

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    What is the GVM of your horsebox?
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    What is the GVM of your horsebox?
    a 2 berth horse box has a GVM of 2800kgs..............

    I'd say a Disco 3 V8 will do the job.

    (If you're into horses as pets, you have too much disposable income anyway, D3 maintenance shouldn't be an issue after a farrier has been past for the hoofs..........and the vet has come past for the teeth.........and the horse whisperer has been past for that cranky gelding............)
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,424
    Thanked: 2186

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    I have a friend that farms with horses. He pulls his 4 birth horsebox, plus a foal in die centre, with a 2.2 T6 Ranger. He is on his 2nd or 3rd 2.2 so the power and torque should be enough.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    32
    Posts
    497
    Thanked: 95

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    I have a friend that farms with horses. He pulls his 4 birth horsebox, plus a foal in die centre, with a 2.2 T6 Ranger. He is on his 2nd or 3rd 2.2 so the power and torque should be enough.
    Illegal according to the law, so you might run into issues with the cops doing this. Unless the trailer has service (additional brakes) in the form of air or electrically assisted brakes, which is quite uncommon
    Last edited by DevonEllett; 2021/10/22 at 11:17 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    He is on his 2nd or 3rd 2.2 .
    I'm not surprised. Probably trades them in before the warranty expires.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post
    What is the GVM of your horsebox?
    Current GVM is 2400kg but I am going to get it reduce to 2000kg because its not towing more than that. Hence the 2000kg tare requirement in the original post.

    As far as I have seen there are only a few that have a tare above 2500kg, Disco 3 is one of the few I've seen that is.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I will probably get shot for this, but a 3.0 TDi T2 Touareg is a very capable towing vehicle, it will certainly be cheaper to buy than the other options you have listed. It is only a 5 seater (where the others are 7 seaters), so not sure if that is a requirement. Keep the extra money saved on the purchase price for repairs and maintenance. The V10 will tow the horse box like it isn't even there, but the risk of expensive maintenance is higher.
    Thanks, will look into the Touareg it isn't one I considered. Any idea what its maintence and costs are like for 150k mileage?
    Last edited by matdehaast; 2021/10/22 at 12:35 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    34
    Posts
    555
    Thanked: 875

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by matdehaast View Post
    Thanks, will look into the Touareg it isn't one I considered. Any idea what its maintence and costs are like for 150k mileage?

    Go have a look in the Volkswagen section under Treg Owners Thread. You will get a good indication of potential issues on the vehicle.
    Mike

    Out in the bush!

    2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:


  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,424
    Thanked: 2186

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'm not surprised. Probably trades them in before the warranty expires.
    Probably, I didn't ask when exactly he trades it in.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,424
    Thanked: 2186

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by DevonEllett View Post
    Illegal according to the law, so you might run into issues with the cops doing this. Unless the trailer has service (additional brakes) in the form of air or electrically assisted brakes, which is quite uncommon
    The Gauteng and Mphumalanga speedcops probably know as much as I do about the towing capacity of a Ranger. This friend is driving like this for about 20 years. First 2,5 WLT Ranger, 3.0 Isuzu, and then the 2.2 Rangers.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,798
    Thanked: 2691

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by matdehaast View Post
    Current GVM is 2400kg but I am going to get it reduce to 2000kg because its not towing more than that. Hence the 2000kg tare requirement in the original post.

    As far as I have seen there are only a few that have a tare above 2500kg, Disco 3 is one of the few I've seen that is.
    I think Patrol tare is around 2700kgs from memory.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    The Gauteng and Mphumalanga speedcops probably know as much as I do about the towing capacity of a Ranger. This friend is driving like this for about 20 years. First 2,5 WLT Ranger, 3.0 Isuzu, and then the 2.2 Rangers.

    I'm not concerned to much about the cops. More insurance and liability. Its all fine untill something happens and then insurance say NOPE!

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,214
    Thanked: 834

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by matdehaast View Post
    Thanks, will look into the Touareg it isn't one I considered. Any idea what its maintence and costs are like for 150k mileage?
    It depends a lot on in what shape the car was when you bought it, and what has been done. 150k km is fairly on the low side for these cars. They can be expensive to maintain, and I would recommend you take it to a specialist if you decide on one. But to give you an idea, I bought mine for R140k, I did all my repairs myself with input from the very active Touareg owners group, I spent about R30k in a year, if you don't do any work yourself lets double that. So then you are at R60k plus the R140k I paid and you end up at R200k, which is still less than what you would pay for a similar vehicle. My car was bought on 210k km, so also a fair bit older than what you are looking at. The guy that bought the car from me apparently has not had any further issues, so looks like I fixed all the stuff that was broken... Unfortunately mine did have most of the common issues, so even with doing your homework that is still possible, hence why I say that you should go into it with open eyes.

    Now for the positives, the air suspension is fantastic, it works well and is perfect for open road and gravel. The 4x4 system works very well allowing the Touareg to drive places most people don't expect to see it. Power is good and fuel consumption is not unreasonable, perhaps on the heavy side for a 3.0Tdi, but then again the car isn't exactly brand new tech. Apart from the common faults the cars are reliable and very strongly built, which is why the fairly small outside dimensions of the Touareg hides a 2.3t GVM (the V10 is even heavier).

    The V10 would be the ultimate towing vehicle (in my opinion naturally), but is perhaps overkill for what you want to do.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOG90IQEbhI


    '12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

    '07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

    '01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,542
    Thanked: 896

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Since you asked about the Pajero, post 2010 models had the more powerful engine and would be my choice model wise.

    Having said that you can actually look at a couple of double cabs as well, there are a couple with a tare more than 2T. For doing a lot of towing I would rather go bakkie than SUV.
    ....

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:


  20. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 2nd Hand Vehicle for Towing recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    It depends a lot on in what shape the car was when you bought it, and what has been done. 150k km is fairly on the low side for these cars. They can be expensive to maintain, and I would recommend you take it to a specialist if you decide on one. But to give you an idea, I bought mine for R140k, I did all my repairs myself with input from the very active Touareg owners group, I spent about R30k in a year, if you don't do any work yourself lets double that. So then you are at R60k plus the R140k I paid and you end up at R200k, which is still less than what you would pay for a similar vehicle. My car was bought on 210k km, so also a fair bit older than what you are looking at. The guy that bought the car from me apparently has not had any further issues, so looks like I fixed all the stuff that was broken... Unfortunately mine did have most of the common issues, so even with doing your homework that is still possible, hence why I say that you should go into it with open eyes.

    Now for the positives, the air suspension is fantastic, it works well and is perfect for open road and gravel. The 4x4 system works very well allowing the Touareg to drive places most people don't expect to see it. Power is good and fuel consumption is not unreasonable, perhaps on the heavy side for a 3.0Tdi, but then again the car isn't exactly brand new tech. Apart from the common faults the cars are reliable and very strongly built, which is why the fairly small outside dimensions of the Touareg hides a 2.3t GVM (the V10 is even heavier).

    The V10 would be the ultimate towing vehicle (in my opinion naturally), but is perhaps overkill for what you want to do.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOG90IQEbhI
    Thanks Commander that is some great insight! You mention some common issues with the Touareg? What are those common issues and what is the repair price of those?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •