Default Prado or Fortuner

Good evening good people, please help me decide, I am wanting to replace my Gwm steed and have been looking at the Toyota option, I have roughly around 200- 220k to spend depends on what I get for the Chinese mixed breed, looking for an SUV and decided auto is a must as left hip is giving me crap. Diesel and I prefer4 WD although not used often, Older prado obviously high kilos or newer fortuner also high kilos for my price range. I pull a small caravan or camp trailer from time to time.What should I do, I do most repairs myself but really donít want to be working on it every weekend. I also donít want to struggle for spares, I have had enough of that with GWM. I look forward to any advise given.

Cool Re: Prado or Fortuner

I would look prado. The fortuners are great bit over priced 9n the 2nd hand market. I guess demand drives this. Prado cost 150 or 200k more than rhe fortuner when new, yet similar milage similar age and are similar price 2nd hand. Yiu are gett8ng way mpre car for your money witht he same engines.
    Off road prado way more comfortable. Towing my echo 3 over gravel guys in their fortuners both new and old towing similar trailers all complained how rough the road was. I had commented to my family how good the gravel was. Maybe i am just used to the transkei. Lol.
    You wont go wrong with either, but to me the prado os a better package 2nd hand.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adamgweba For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Prado or Fortuner

I have a 2006 V6 Fortuner and it is great, however it will at somepoint be replaced by the Prado. Guess for me its sort of an Upgrade. But it will cost more than 200k for a comparative upgrade.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bobscratchit For This Useful Post:

Some great Mitsubishi options in that bracketÖ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kreefstert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kreefstert View Post
    Some great Mitsubishi options in that bracketÖ
    Sold my pajero swb to buy the prado. I agree also great cars and slightly lower resale so may get a newer lower mileage for same price.

Quote Originally Posted by steve scorpio View Post
    Good evening good people, please help me decide, I am wanting to replace my Gwm steed and have been looking at the Toyota option, I have roughly around 200- 220k to spend depends on what I get for the Chinese mixed breed, looking for an SUV and decided auto is a must as left hip is giving me crap. Diesel and I prefer4 WD although not used often, Older prado obviously high kilos or newer fortuner also high kilos for my price range. I pull a small caravan or camp trailer from time to time.What should I do, I do most repairs myself but really donít want to be working on it every weekend. I also donít want to struggle for spares, I have had enough of that with GWM. I look forward to any advise given.
    If your budget is 220k, you will get either a high mileage 120 diesel or a high mileage tuna d4d. Either way you won't escape the high mileage conundrum.

Ive never driven the 1st gen tuna but it seems they are uncomfortable per the owners.

The 120 diesel is not as powerful as the tuna but is definitely more comfie, but yet again you are not getting this beasts for racing, so I suspect you may enjoy the 120 better long term.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

I won't buy a diesel with that mileage you are looking at, but that is just me. In the 120's I would 10 times rather get the V6, but you said you wanted diesel.

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...60=0&so=1&pl=1
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...60=0&so=1&pl=1
    Will take a while to find the right one, but they are out there.
    Last edited by JacoE; 2021/10/22 at 10:27 AM.
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JacoE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by adamgweba View Post
    I would look prado. The fortuners are great bit over priced 9n the 2nd hand market. I guess demand drives this. Prado cost 150 or 200k more than rhe fortuner when new, yet similar milage similar age and are similar price 2nd hand. Yiu are gett8ng way mpre car for your money witht he same engines.
    Off road prado way more comfortable. Towing my echo 3 over gravel guys in their fortuners both new and old towing similar trailers all complained how rough the road was. I had commented to my family how good the gravel was. Maybe i am just used to the transkei. Lol.
    You wont go wrong with either, but to me the prado os a better package 2nd hand.
    Found a nice one (prado)with what looks like genuinely good kilos 185k on the clock but. Wife kicking her heals in as there is cracks on dash is this a common problem, can it be fixed in any way , I look past that and looks at the mechanical side.

Cracked dash on the Prados seem to be a thing and it's not an easy thing to fix. Last I heard you have to either fork out top dollar for a new one or phone Snymans and hope they have a spare from a rebuild lying around. Not really something to fix, rather than replace.

The cracked dash gives it character. I know FOR A FACT there isn't another Prado with a dash like mine :-)
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gootka For This Useful Post:

There is better options than toyota

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Quote Originally Posted by hein100 View Post
    I'm sure there is! Care to share, since you live out in the sticks where dependability is most important?
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hein100 View Post
    Yes but I want a Toyota, I test drove a few different suv, in my price range and Toyotas seemed all to feel better on the road and in the better condition. I also enjoy the paj but they had to many rattles.

Found a nice one (prado)with what looks like genuinely good kilos 185k on the clock but. Wife kicking her heals in as there is cracks on dash is this a common problem, can it be fixed in any way , I look past that and looks at the mechanical side.
    You can always put some sheep skin on the dash!
    In all fairness, the pre-owned segment is tough to tick ALL boxes in the right price. If the missus will twitch everytime she sees that crack, then DON'T buy it.

Prado will be more comfortable and most likely slightly lower mileage at the same price as a Tuna, but do go through the suspension and drivetrain to ensure oils have been changed at the correct intervals. Always spend 5 minutes on your back under the vehicle you looking at.

In your shoes i'll get the 120 V6...They are amazing vehicles, I had one of the last models with low km, still regret selling it to this day even though I got a crazy good price for it at the time. So you learn...
    2018 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT DC 4x4 A/T

I would definitely go the Prado route. I own a Fortuner and really enjoy it but my next upgrade will be to a Prado. Also consider that the Prado is not as high risk a vehicle as compared to the Fortuner.

If she hates the crack on the dash, you will regret buying that Prado everytime she see that crack.

There are some sexy dash covers you can fix atop the dash.... ? She can help you choose the cover.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    If she hates the crack on the dash, you will regret buying that Prado everytime she see that crack.

There are some sexy dash covers you can fix atop the dash.... ? She can help you choose the cover.

Recently sold my Prado 120 with a cracked dash, apparently very common ,Toyota quoted me a little over R 10 k to replace it about 18 months ago , cheap at that price

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Camel man 1 For This Useful Post:

Let me comment from a different perspective..... (Irrespective of motor).

In your budget, your options are previous model Tuna or 120 Prado.
    I own each of these, '04 Prado is my tourer and towing vehicle, and '06 Tuna is daily driver.
    Whilst both mine are V6 - and for what it's worth, that would be my recommendation, they are truly great motors - that is exactly where the similarities end with these vehicles.

I could climb into the Prado tomorrow and tow a van to Kunene and get out feeling like I just drove 100km. It is SUCH a comfortable vehicle and does everything effortlessly, quietly and in comfort.
    There is a reason the Tuna is cheaper to buy new than the Prado. It has none of the finesse and comfort that the Prado has. It's louder, it's smaller, it's more 'utilitarian' than the Prado.

The Prado dash is a given. Cracks you WILL have in the 120 - but a simple dash cover offered by many companies will resolve that very quickly - but on simple comfort and touring - it's Prado ALL THE WAY. Hands down!
    Last edited by Mark Trollope; 2021/10/25 at 11:01 AM.
    Mark Trollope
    Prado 120 V6, Fortuner V6, Hilux 2.7, Cruiser 80 EFi, Cruiser 75, Lexus RX350, Rav4 GX, Jaguar JAKI4

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Trollope For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Camel man 1 View Post
    Recently sold my Prado 120 with a cracked dash, apparently very common ,Toyota quoted me a little over R 10 k to replace it about 18 months ago , cheap at that price
    Replacing is 10k alright, but will they so it well that the new dash won't rattle? I would feel safer with a dash cover.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post: