Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Water & electricity meters overreading?

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    How do you know about my showering habits
    Half pint - Not Half-Pint
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcochezzi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Ian (OP), the quantities that you mention (water) cannot be right.
    We have on our property 3 rental units plus our own residence, a swimming pool (larger than average).
    I do occasionally water the garden but not excessively.
    So in water terms this means:
    4 x
    Washing machines
    Hot water geysers, showers, etc.
    Topping up the pool from time to time.
    And 4x water use for washing dishes ... whatever.
    The worst reading we have ever had was 44 Kl for the MONTH. (Probably toped up pool more than once or something)
    We usually average around 15 - 19 Kl per month for the entire property.
    I'd say your meter is running slow, which is good for you, or your tenants have poor cleaning habits...
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    That is really interesting as a few years ago I was involved in a project where the electricity generated for a city and by the city ..........
    Energy (kWh) meters installed at consumer premises are calibrated against a sub-standard meter.
    These consumer meters are generally Class 1 meters with a deviation in accuracy of <1% of the energy consumed and usually have factory calibration certificates when new.
    I'm not aware of any validity time period being stipulated with these meters.

The sub-standard meters used in test/calibration desks used to calibrate the consumers metes are regularly checked and calibrated against a laboratory sub-standard meter and are issued with a calibration certificates.
    The laboratory sub-standard meters are regularly checked/tested against the national standard meter (SABS) and these meters have calibration certificates.
    The national standard meter also has its own check/calibrate process.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

We are 7 people in our household, and generally use between 25 and 35 kl per month, depending on how enthusiastically the gardener waters the garden and washes the cars once a week.

Our water pressure is very low though, which I suspect may help to curtail long showers.

Had a huge water leak on our meter a while ago, but fortunately (for us), it was on the municipal side.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2007 Volkswagen T5 4Motion

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Imvubu For This Useful Post:

Expensive, but may save you in the long run

GaugeIT Daily Ultrasonic Smart Water Measuring & Monitoring Device

https://www.takealot.com/gaugeit-dai...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 2021/10/22 at 02:43 PM.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    I'd say your meter is running slow, which is good for you, or your tenants have poor cleaning habits...
    Would this maybe due to the muni "restricting" the flow (pressure?) rate due to water saving efforts?
    They reduced the aperture through which the water flows through the meter, effectively reducing the volume of water that could flow through the meter within any given time period.

If so, I like it, because then I am doing my "bit" to save water and in the process reducing costs.

However, just yesterday, I had a new tenant (1st month in situ) from one of the units stating that their water use was above what they would expect.

So maybe there are some other factors here?
    I monitor both water and power usage (quantity, not cost) on the property very carefully and have records going back several years so I think that I have a good feel for it by now.

Power use in units seems to be more consistent than water though - not sure why that would be.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Would this maybe due to the muni "restricting" the flow (pressure?) rate due to water saving efforts?
    They reduced the aperture through which the water flows through the meter, effectively reducing the volume of water that could flow through the meter within any given time period.

If so, I like it, because then I am doing my "bit" to save water and in the process reducing costs.

However, just yesterday, I had a new tenant (1st month in situ) from one of the units stating that their water use was above what they would expect.

So maybe there are some other factors here?
    I monitor both water and power usage (quantity, not cost) on the property very carefully and have records going back several years so I think that I have a good feel for it by now.

Power use in units seems to be more consistent than water though - not sure why that would be.
    Must be, well its either the restriction, or your meter is running slow all by itself (faulty) which works to your cost advantage..

Electrically I had an employee that swore blindly she and her husband only used 12 units of electricity per month, I told her its impossible, yet that is what she bought, prepaid if I remember well.. guess her meter also ran 'slowly'..
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

When air is passed through a water meter like after a water outage and the pipes are being bled, the impellor spins very much faster than it would with water. Hence a much higher reading.

This happened where I used to live and an engineer was hired to work out the ratio. Huge credits were passed.

After a water outage I always let my nieghbours bleed the pipes before I open. IE do not open your taps immediately after a water outage.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

In my experience electricity meters dont over-read. If faulty, they slow down and stop. So readings get lower until zero usage

Water meters on the other hand can over read if air is passed through them as said above, so after water outages the meter can over read until the air is bled out of the system

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2