Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Caravan on property. Legal to live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Spill the beans where in my favourite town are you building and what are you building.

we building in rexford. Where are you?

I believe that there is (maybe in only some municipalities ?) a regulation stating that you need to move any mobile caravan from one site to another within any continuous three month period.

So now the question is:
    What is the definition of "a site"?
    Very many years ago when building our own home in Gauteng we lived in a caravan in a park home estate close to our stand where we were building.
    It was more than 18 months.
    We just had to move the van off the individual site for one night, then move it back the next day once per quarter.
    Question is: Does your place constitute ONE site or could you demarcate another immediately adjacent (on the same property)?

THEN just shift it once per month from the one "site" to the other for one night and then back again to original position. (YES ?)
    It is honestly the way that I would handle the situation.
    By the way: After all objections and regulations have been applied and maybe enforceable your house will have been built and occupied anyway ...
    Just go for it !!

EISH ! Many ways to skin the cat.
    (I have never understood why ANYONE would want to skin a cat in the first place and I would certainly NOT approve of any such action at all.)

Enjoy your build and remember: "Don't worry - be happy."
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I believe that there is (maybe in only some municipalities ?) a regulation stating that you need to move any mobile caravan from one site to another within any continuous three month period.

So now the question is:
    What is the definition of "a site"?
    Very many years ago when building our own home in Gauteng we lived in a caravan in a park home estate close to our stand where we were building.
    It was more than 18 months.
    We just had to move the van off the individual site for one night, then move it back the next day once per quarter.
    Question is: Does your place constitute ONE site or could you demarcate another immediately adjacent (on the same property)?

THEN just shift it once per month from the one "site" to the other for one night and then back again to original position. (YES ?)
    It is honestly the way that I would handle the situation.
    By the way: After all objections and regulations have been applied and maybe enforceable your house will have been built and occupied anyway ...
    Just go for it !!

EISH ! Many ways to skin the cat.
    (I have never understood why ANYONE would want to skin a cat in the first place and I would certainly NOT approve of any such action at all.)

Enjoy your build and remember: "Don't worry - be happy."
    Good point about the time it will take to enforce etc.
    Think we just going to go for it come wroste case and will just sending some beers and cake over to all the neighbors

Thanks for the encouragement! It's Our first build, daunting and exciting at the same time.
    the 4x4 forum have been such great help.thanks everyone for the advice.
    Last edited by horizon; 2021/10/23 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    In one of my favorite coastal holiday towns (Bothastrand near Groot Brak) there used to be a stand with a minimal small building, probably a small kitchem bathroom and storeroom. Come holiday time, the owner would rock up with his caravan and tents and have a lekker holiday on the lawn.
    Perhaps if you can start off with building a minimum allowed structure, and then do the rest as extensions, you could follow a similar route?
    I'd love to have a similar setup, somewhere close to KNP.
    Erect minimal infrastructure with one or two caravan stands for now.
    As moola comes in, build pensioners' house as add-on to the built infrastructure, but leave the caravan stands for visiting friends.

Issue is to find a site where this will be acceptable.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by horizon View Post
    Think we just going to go for it come wroste case and will just sending some beers and cake over to all the neighbors

Thanks for the encouragement! It's Our first build, daunting and exciting at the same time.
    This would depend who picks it up. If your local Neighborhood Watch gets wind of it they will report it to law enforcement who will send the building inspectors out. Bear in mind that breaching bylaws could leave you with a significant fine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zebellon For This Useful Post:

On my neighbour's property in George there are 2 caravans that have been there for the last 19 years. They are in a horrible condition. I've done minor building alterations in that period for which I have had to pay the fees and get the building inspectors to my place. I asked the last one, who came for the inspection how it works that I have to pay the fees, do the plans and build according to standards and my neighbour just pulls 2 big caravans onto his property with none of the above. His reply to me was that they can do nothing, I must report it to the health dept. If I were you I'd speak to the neighbours and go ahead and park your caravan on site. The authorities won't give you permission and they are reluctant to get involved.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Davian74 For This Useful Post:

If you may not park a caravan permanently then make it appear as temporary as possible?
    My Life Loving It

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris G For This Useful Post:

Most if not all municipalities will not allow such. Best you can hope for is as a "site office" during building operations.
    Last edited by ALPA4; 2021/10/24 at 11:31 PM.

My uncle and aunt stayed in their caravan for 20 months while doing the owner-builder thing on Hermanus, had 'site' water and electricity and there was no neighborhood or municipality issues.
    Neil

15. The Following User Says Thank You to neoT For This Useful Post:

Anyone know what the rules are regarding living in a caravan on your property?

we recently bought some land (Knysna) and are waiting to get plan’s approved before we build. On top of this the place we stay at has been sold and they are doubling the rent (really nice guy!). All in all, we have to be out over dec/jan, which means every house now is rented only on very high daily rates due to the high season.

So, hence our idea to put a caravan on our property until the house is being built.

Any ideas or idea be greatly appreaciated.
    Thanks in advance and excuse the terrible grammer
    Living on fixed property is also governed by city bylaws. These laws are different from city to city and town to town. The city bylaw most probably will restrict the amount of people living on a stand. a Caravan will not be seen as fixed property. I doubt if the bylaws will have a problem with a caravan. Things that might be a problem with some bylaws are sanitation and water. I suppose that can easily be side stepped with a porta potty and a 1000l water tank on a none fixed stand. Most important, make sure your neighbours are happy with your caravan, they are usually the complainants! Might be a good idea to put a fence, like a wall, before you move. Again, make sure your neighbours do not have a problem. Some towns and cities have a by law that allows a structure for a builders shed and will allow a "buiders toilet" connected to the sanitation system, provided you have approved building plans.

Following with interest since we have also just bought a stand in Knysna. Alas our stand is in a country eco estate and for sure the HOA will not allow us to live in a caravan on site while building
    I am considering finding a nearby caravan park or farm where the farm owner may be amenable to us camping in a quiet spot on his land. Perhaps explore those options?
    Turning a 10 minute job into an hour
    Gary
    49 on Cherry Guesthouse
    2008 Pajero 3.2 GLX LWB (A)
    2012 Conqueror Courage

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enduroguy For This Useful Post:

In Kouga is dit legal lyk dit vir my. Daar bly n persoon nou al 10 jaar of meer in 2x karavane in Aston Baai, 17 Cormorant cresent.

we recently bought some land (Knysna) and are waiting to get plan’s approved before we build. On top of this the place we stay at has been sold and they are doubling the rent (really nice guy!). All in all, we have to be out over dec/jan, which means every house now is rented only on very high daily rates due to the high season.

So, hence our idea to put a caravan on our property until the house is being built.

I did the exact thing in Plettenberg Bay and was given 1 week to remove the caravan as only a watchman was allowed to stay on site until a certificate of occupation had been issued check with the planning department

As an alternative, why not rent a small garden flat in the same suburb so you are close to the building site?

Yip start at local municipality, I am sure that as long as building is in progress it should not be an issue. Hopefully you have lodged plans or it has been approved in which event I will start building. It might be that if you meet certain conditions you can park legally for longer. Caravan parks often use caravans as accommodation, same at yacht clubs. Caravans often used as temporary accommodation.

Quote Originally Posted by carlhe View Post
    In Kouga is dit legal lyk dit vir my. Daar bly n persoon nou al 10 jaar of meer in 2x karavane in Aston Baai, 17 Cormorant cresent.
    One can see the caravans behind the structure - photo from Google Street view.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 4x4 wannabie; 2021/10/25 at 03:54 PM.
    Metalian Maxi

Quote Originally Posted by zebellon View Post
    In the Overburg we have recently had this particular issue with a group that occupied their property and lived in a caravan and tents. The Overburg bylaws state that one person may occupy a site in a caravan only while building is in progress. Suggest you consult with the Knysna municipality to determine legality.

and here is your answer, begin digging a hole and building has commenced, all your neighbours will be happy to have an owner builder in and the "locals" will see a new source for raw materials for their own owner builds

Smile Re: Caravan on property. Legal to live in?

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    I would say if you own the land, then there will be no issue.

The caravan is not a permanent structure and require no building plans to park it somewhere ect.

Hell, I live in my caravan in campsites and I don't even own the land. I rent it for a few days.
    If it was me .I would get water lights and sewer connected get a 10 square metre wendy house as abolution block . park caravan live in it and inform municipality of intention to build.

If they give you grief ,say that you will appear in court to defend any fines ,using the principal that the law must be equal and that as soon as the municipality stops squatter camps developing and declares them illegal and in contravention of by- laws you will also comply.
    Once you park your caravan on your property and start living there . I cant see them being successful in removing you, even if this goes to court .

We live in desperate times made worse by a failed governance , courts will see you as a responsible citizen making great sacrifices to uplift yourself without reliance on the state. Caravan live -in parks exist .Here in Durban there are such parks.

Here in La mercy A while back a family[white] sold their property in Umdloti bought a large stand here and was allowed to live in 3 containers and start building their house. No one objected . It was never seen before ,but was successful. Hope it goes well for you.

If it had squatters and a few tin sheds it would be an informal settlement and untouchable?

David Vierra
    ‘21 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 3.5L M/T (Sold)
    ‘52 Beech Bonanza

“The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge”
    – Daniel J. Boorstin

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

I would go the different route, immediately invite the neighbours to beer and braai and talk to them and explain your situation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast