Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    George
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 2

    Default Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Hi everyone,

    I recently reached out to the 4x4 community to get advice on a solution for towing my trailer, as well as solo camping/overlanding. The thread expanded to compare the 100 series v the 200 series in the petrol and diesel variant, and not too long ago I was convinced that despite the fuel consumption on the 4500 EFI, it was the one to go for. BUT.....

    My gut feeling (and advice bot on this forum, as well as on the web) always pointed me to the 100 series 1HD FTE as the the vehicle to settle for. The problem is they are very pricy even second hand, not to mention that they basically do not exist on the second market. I continued browsing the usual websites (Gesigboek, Tandvleisboom, Rommelpos ens) and then this absolutely stunning LC100 series 2005 model 1HD-FTE pops up. I have never seen any LC100 in this condition. Absolutely pristine from the inside and outside. 201K's on the clock, engine looked brand new. Original Radio. The gear shifter showed minimal wear. I can go on and on about this vehicle's condition but anyway, I saw the add late on a Saturday evening and by Sunday I had the plan laid out to have the cash transferred to the dealer (a reputable one) and have the vehicle collected on Monday. All I had to do was call them on Monday and explain that I will buy the vehicle cash and will come and collect it after I made the transfer on Monday.

    Sadly, by 6:55am on Monday, I was informed by the receptionist who obviously arrived at work a little earlier than usual seeing that they only open at 7am, that the vehicle was already sold on Saturday.

    I have never really had a thing for cars but I have started developing a bit of an obsession to find a LC100 in good condition as they are all generally long in the tooth and most have been used and abused. But after I saw this diesel LC 100, I was so disappointed that I feel I have missed a once in a lifetime buy.

    So all this made me rethink my strategy.

    Am I just stupidly obsessed with finding a LC100, or do I need to get over my love affair of chasing the unicorn, and settle for and equally capable (if not better) vehicle other than a gemstone of a LC100 1HDFTE. After all, is it not about the journey that the vehicle will provide, rather than the vehicle itself.

    I need therapy

    Cheers
    Last edited by Bonedome; 2021/10/20 at 07:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanked: 2022

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Have you actually driven one yet?

    reason I ask is I have driven stock patrol turbo diesel motors (the 4.2 and the 3.0), and come away EXTREMELY disappointed with both.
    modified is a different story.

    I would look at the 4.5 petrol
    still. But thatís just me.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    George
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Have you actually driven one yet?

    reason I ask is I have driven stock patrol turbo diesel motors (the 4.2 and the 3.0), and come away EXTREMELY disappointed with both.
    modified is a different story.

    I would look at the 4.5 petrol
    still. But thatís just me.

    Many many years ago when I was younger, I drove a 4500 efi in the sands of Saudi Arabia. That is where I first realised the Japanese really know how to build an indestructible car.

    But the experience has sufficiently eluded my memory to make any informed decision as it stands now.

    Funny how we want what we can't have...

    What exactly was it that disappointed you about the cars?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Age
    56
    Posts
    96
    Thanked: 49

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    I really like the fact that you are so passionate about a specific vehicle. I say keep looking. There will be another one and hopefully you donít have to wait too long. Good luck and I hope you find that unicorn.
    Mark Prutton

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanked: 2022

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonedome View Post
    Many many years ago when I was younger, I drove a 4500 efi in the sands of Saudi Arabia. That is where I first realised the Japanese really know how to build an indestructible car.

    But the experience has sufficiently eluded my memory to make any informed decision as it stands now.

    Funny how we want what we can't have...

    What exactly was it that disappointed you about the cars?
    not disappointed by the cars. But just their engines. The lack of power from those diesels. Maybe the cruiser diesel will be different, but I have a feeling it will be similarly lackluster to put it mildly.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    not disappointed by the cars. But just their engines. The lack of power from those diesels. Maybe the cruiser diesel will be different, but I have a feeling it will be similarly lackluster to put it mildly.
    Don't drive a 4.2 cruiser diesel then. Speedo is a calendar.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gqeberha
    Age
    50
    Posts
    16,179
    Thanked: 6102

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Don't drive a 4.2 cruiser diesel then. Speedo is a calendar.
    Fast, is not something they are known for, but I never realised quite how slow they were until I drove Herman's Donkie for a month...they can certainly go anywhere, just not fast

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    39
    Posts
    7,494
    Thanked: 6486

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Have you actually driven one yet?

    reason I ask is I have driven stock patrol turbo diesel motors (the 4.2 and the 3.0), and come away EXTREMELY disappointed with both.
    modified is a different story.

    I would look at the 4.5 petrol
    still. But thatís just me.
    The 1HD FTE is something different. Probably the best diesel turbo that Toyota ever made. I still believe they should have taken that engine and develop it further, rather than going V8 route.

    But they are scarce and fetch a premium.
    Gert Grobler

    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,598
    Thanked: 6542

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Also look at the 200 Petrol...the 4.7.

    Amazing Car.

    Maintenance is cheap as chips.

    And above 6km/ litre.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10,692
    Thanked: 4610

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    The 1HD FTE is something different. Probably the best diesel turbo that Toyota ever made. I still believe they should have taken that engine and develop it further, rather than going V8 route.

    But they are scarce and fetch a premium.
    Spot on Nys
    Yes the 1HD never to be confused with the 1HZ.
    It is a direct injection engine turbo engine.
    The Aussies make huge hp out of them.
    Even used by some Patrol racing teams as EGT stays in limits when pushing hard.

    The 1hd-FTE made 151kW and 430Nm in stock trim.

    Only problem is that they are scarce in SA and expensive to rebuild.
    Last edited by grips; 2021/10/20 at 08:48 PM.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    George
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Yep they are very scarce indeed. I have seen a few on the market that have been abused, and although I am sure they work just fine, I am still very reluctant to buy one unless I have 100% conviction that it was well taken care of.

    Just on a slightly different note, was the LC100 1HDFTE imported into the SA market by Toyota, or were they grey imports from Australia etc. I notice a lot of VX 100 LC's models, typically of the 1999-2000 vintage in the 3 speed auto gearbox, but they are all grey imports. Just the little red button left of the gear lever with Japanese writing (which translates to "Disconnect") below it is a dead give away that they were grey imports.

    So now that the love of my life has left me, do I keep looking? I have been looking for almost a year now and when I finally saw one worthy of buying it got snapped up almost immediately. What alternatives on the market provide just as good offroad capability, reliability? I am sure the LC's are at the bottom of the list when fuel economy is a priority.

    Let's not forget that ultimately I want to go and camp, see the bush, 4x4, get stuck, tinker with my solar panels, listen to the animals while making coffee in the bush, enjoy the smell of bacon and eggs under the African skies.......

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    34
    Posts
    575
    Thanked: 934

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonedome View Post
    Yep they are very scarce indeed. I have seen a few on the market that have been abused, and although I am sure they work just fine, I am still very reluctant to buy one unless I have 100% conviction that it was well taken care of.

    Just on a slightly different note, was the LC100 1HDFTE imported into the SA market by Toyota, or were they grey imports from Australia etc. I notice a lot of VX 100 LC's models, typically of the 1999-2000 vintage in the 3 speed auto gearbox, but they are all grey imports. Just the little red button left of the gear lever with Japanese writing (which translates to "Disconnect") below it is a dead give away that they were grey imports.

    So now that the love of my life has left me, do I keep looking? I have been looking for almost a year now and when I finally saw one worthy of buying it got snapped up almost immediately. What alternatives on the market provide just as good offroad capability, reliability? I am sure the LC's are at the bottom of the list when fuel economy is a priority.

    Let's not forget that ultimately I want to go and camp, see the bush, 4x4, get stuck, tinker with my solar panels, listen to the animals while making coffee in the bush, enjoy the smell of bacon and eggs under the African skies.......
    AH the love affair..... mine is with a 2.8 straight 6 defender. The stupidest thing I have even done was sell that vehicle... EVER!

    But having said that.. your last paragraph is the most important one. There are many vehicles that can do that. I settled on an EFI and after the drive back from Bethlehem after collecting from Petri I was in love. However.... there are two vehicles that I want and if the opportunity came up I would sell this LC tomorrow. Hehehe.
    Last edited by AfricainHD; 2021/10/21 at 05:30 AM.
    Mike

    Out in the bush!

    2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Oasis
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 8602

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Strangely enough, when it comes to vehicles such as the 105LC or the 3.lt patrol, I have no desire for quick acceleration nor to drive at 130kph.

    I have a soft spot for the 4.2 slow donkey too after I went fishing with a mate of mine in his 4.2 cruiser. He literally dropped the clutch, in 1st low, and the cruiser drove on the beach just on the engine's torque.

    Those engines just don't die.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

    Frikkie is my pel en ek erken dit...
    Ja die mense se ou Frikkie is 'n tappet...
    Tune tune baboon

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woestyn Willem For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    krugersdorp
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,664
    Thanked: 683

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Fast, is not something they are known for, but I never realised quite how slow they were until I drove Herman's Donkie for a month...they can certainly go anywhere, just not fast

    and that is what this forum should be about!
    go anywhere and enjoy the ride!

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:


  21. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gaborone, Botswana
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,635
    Thanked: 1870

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    not disappointed by the cars. But just their engines. The lack of power from those diesels. Maybe the cruiser diesel will be different, but I have a feeling it will be similarly lackluster to put it mildly.

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Spot on Nys
    Yes the 1HD never to be confused with the 1HZ.........
    Exactly.

    I had the early 1HDT 12valve with aftermarket intercooler in a 80VX. It was just a pleasure to drive.
    Kobus

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,466
    Thanked: 5971

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Finding a 100 Cruiser with 1HDFTe engine in good nick is what some people's dreams are made of! There might still be a couple left but they are sought after and go quickly and for stupid money. The VX 100 with 1 HDFTe was sold by Toyota SA but there are a big number of grey imports as well. Another vehicle to look for is the 100/105 GXL with 1 HDT or 1 HDFTe. There are a number running around in SA. Basically a less fancy version of the VX but same mechanicals. I have even seen one with SFA therefore the 105 moniker. But you will have to be wide awake to catch them.

    For starters I'd suggest you join Land Cruiser Club of SA as well.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  24. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,670
    Thanked: 4978

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Fast, is not something they are known for, but I never realised quite how slow they were until I drove Herman's Donkie for a month...they can certainly go anywhere, just not fast
    The trip down to PE was the longest and most dangerous I ever had.

    A 3.0 diesel Patrol is fine if your gravel journey starts outside your gate, but if your trip includes ANY open road driving I would get something else.


    My Jeep is like the Ship of Theseus...

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,598
    Thanked: 6542

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Old Dealer Pal of mine just down the road has a 2003 LC 100 VX with the ( Help me here ) "older" 4,2 TDi, I think the IHD, the 12 Valve??

    Anyway.......VERY VERY nice and unique Car.

    100 VX, in MANUAL, with original Toyota factory winch, standard suspension (not AHC), and SFA. Yes, SFA.

    It's obviously a grey import.

    I think its a sort of a GXL or Sahara spec, but "labelled" VX in the particular Country of Destination it was originally built for.

    He wants silly money for it - understandably. Bought it with demo mileage LONG time ago, currently on around 260000km or thereabouts.

    But VERY VERY nice Car, used on tar all its life, I dont even think Oom Donald knows where LR is.

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    640
    Thanked: 432

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Fast, is not something they are known for, but I never realised quite how slow they were until I drove Herman's Donkie for a month...they can certainly go anywhere, just not fast
    They really are, especially in the station wagon form. Family had a 1HZ 80 series for a few years that my brothers and I used to use to cruise around in on holiday or just for a camping weekends away somewhere requiring a 4x4. The plan was to convert it for overlanding but my dad decided it was just too slow. I absolutely loved that car. I think the only thing slower than that I've driven was our old 3000d Hilux. That was another story altogether. But again so suited to the farm, just don't drive the 500km odd to PE in it and expect it to take a day.

    But OP I am completely with you. I would love to own a 100 series with the 1HDFTE motor. They just give me goosebumps and they sound so nice (I like diesels). That or an 80 with the 1HDFT engine (or if I'm being naught a 1HDFTE conversion). I would love to park either one in my garage one day.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/10/21 at 09:47 AM.

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bethlehem
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,598
    Thanked: 6542

    Default Re: Have I become stupidly obsessed with a Land Cruiser 100 1HDFTE

    One of the nicest Cars I had was a 80 VX, IHD engine, in manual. Gave me close to 10km/litre.

    And THE most beautiful thing I ever saw was one year at Sterkfontein - Guy there had this MINT 80 Series TDi, the "Blue Marlin" Edition. Wet dream stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •