Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Workmanship may cause your vehicle to burn to the ground

During my electrical apprenticeship I was not allowed to use insulation tape and to this day I detest the stuff. All cable terminations were inspected by my journeyman before I could insulate them with heat shrink. If required cable polarity was marked using pre-cut lengths of appropriate colour heat shrink spaced either 500mm or 1M apart along the length of the cable. Those pre-cut tubes of heat shrink had to be square and equal in length.

I had to use the correct size lugs both in terms of cable and bolt diameter and these were crimped twice with hydraulic crimpers, rotating the jaws 30 degrees between crimps to ensure a perfectly hexagonal crimp. Cables were terminated into lugs taking the natural bend of the cable into consideration. The cable insulation had to be snug against the shoulder of the lug and you had to be able to see that the cable strands were flush against the front of the lug through the inspection hole at the front of the lug. Woe betide the day you dared not get all the strands into the lug; there was no such thing as "trimming" strands(There is a reason you buy Stone Stamcor lugs).

All cable ties had to face the same direction and be spaced equally apart, then the tag ends were cut with a stanley knife so there were no sharp edges remaining.

Suffice to say I have high standards when it comes to electrical wiring but I also understand many people who do this kind of work were not trained the way I was, hence as long as it is done neatly and mechanically correctly I don't mind, however, I would go ballistic if the work displayed in the OP was done for me.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

The installer is going to get a talking toowhatever.He is there because he is cheap labour.If he can finish a product like that then the manager/owner dont care about the quality of the work they send out..Methinks the insurance companies should be made aware.If he is listed by them as a installer and he loses the listing he might jack up his game

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    The installer is going to get a talking toowhatever.He is there because he is cheap labour.If he can finish a product like that then the manager/owner dont care about the quality of the work they send out..Methinks the insurance companies should be made aware.If he is listed by them as a installer and he loses the listing he might jack up his game
    Yup, i'm not in the name and shame game, but this could literally cause someone's 4x4 to burn to the ground.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    This sort of stuff irks me! You can clearly do a better job yourself but insurance, warranty policies, manufacturers etc are so quick to jump on the 'you need an accredited installer'.

To be accredited you just need to belong to some membership you pay every month.

And at what shops now charge for labour, I'm not paying you to do the job for me, I'm paying you because you should be an expert and better than me at the job.
    you need an accredited installer, So what should I look for? Accredited with some national system?

If this is the standard of a 'national firm' then it gets difficult.

I need to rewire my bonnet full of wires because the standard of installation, so really want to know who to trust and what to look for.

Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bobscratchit For This Useful Post:

Against what standards are these accredited installers checked to see if they are competent?
    As a qualified aircraft maintenance engineer that holds a A and E category AMEL license I'd like to see if I can somehow get this accreditation. My training and licenses allow me to work on large aircraft mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and fuel systems as well as airframe and and jet motors.
    Surly an insurance company should be happy with an electrical installation I do on a vehicle. They don't seem to have a problem with big companies doing substandard work on clients vehicles.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3