Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Workmanship may cause your vehicle to burn to the ground

Couple months back, I purchased my Triton. It had a drawer system in the back, with an aux battery somewhere below it.
    I went to a very well known 4x4 fitter on the east rand, asked them to remove the drawers, go over the 12V system in the back, and fit a solar controller + brad harris while at it.

They did so, and all is well. This week, the brad harris plug for my fridge had no power, I though let me check the wires and while at it, fit a new battery box, the one that came with the car was a bit worse for wear.

See below the workmanship, this is for the fridge connection and the solar controller which they fitted. After removing what seemed like 3 rolls of insulation tape I could not believe my eyes. Needless to say, I've now fitted all new lugs, heatshrink and insulation tape where needed. You can see they obviously did not have the correct size lugs either (even though they are 4x4 fitters), so they sommer drilled the holes bigger.

How these connections lasted as long as they did (± 6 months), no one knows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lug1.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	633530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lug2.jpg 
Views:	432 
Size:	229.0 KB 
ID:	633531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lug3.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	633532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lug4.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	633533   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lug5.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	633534  

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Workmanship may cause your vehicle to burn to the ground

Shocking...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to caesarcp For This Useful Post:

All I can say is........

Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

Eek

What you would expect from illegal connections from pavement EL box.
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Holy smokes
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

That is disgusting work. Then to charge unsuspecting customers good money for that is just not on.
    I have had jobs where it takes longer to fix the previous person's bad workmanship than it would have to do it from scratch. If you are going to offer a service make sure you have the tools and spare parts on hand to do the job correctly.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

This sort of stuff irks me! You can clearly do a better job yourself but insurance, warranty policies, manufacturers etc are so quick to jump on the 'you need an accredited installer'.

To be accredited you just need to belong to some membership you pay every month.

And at what shops now charge for labour, I'm not paying you to do the job for me, I'm paying you because you should be an expert and better than me at the job.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Couple months back, I purchased my Triton. It had a drawer system in the back, with an aux battery somewhere below it.
    I went to a very well known 4x4 fitter on the east rand, asked them to remove the drawers, go over the 12V system in the back, and fit a solar controller + brad harris while at it.

They did so, and all is well. This week, the brad harris plug for my fridge had no power, I though let me check the wires and while at it, fit a new battery box, the one that came with the car was a bit worse for wear.

See below the workmanship, this is for the fridge connection and the solar controller which they fitted. After removing what seemed like 3 rolls of insulation tape I could not believe my eyes. Needless to say, I've now fitted all new lugs, heatshrink and insulation tape where needed. You can see they obviously did not have the correct size lugs either (even though they are 4x4 fitters), so they sommer drilled the holes bigger.

That is SHOCKING!!
    Everyone is allowed to make a mistake, but that is not a mistake!! take the photos to the installer and ask the question.

And that is the sole reason that I personally do ALL my electrical aftermarket wiring and electrical installations myself.
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metalmachine For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post

Haibo - this is why I am doing the wiring myself for my trailer controller and power for my load bin power. Top tip, I bought one of those electrical fish tape things that the sparkie use to pull wires through conduit. I managed (with the help of my son) to get all the power cables inside the chassis rails inside the plastic wrap stuff. Much happier with this arrangement.

Bl!xem .....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hou op om almal altyd gelukkig te probeer hou, Jy is nie n braaibroodjie nie

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    This sort of stuff irks me! You can clearly do a better job yourself but insurance, warranty policies, manufacturers etc are so quick to jump on the 'you need an accredited installer'.
    Would a DIY job "certified" by an accredited auto-electrician suffice for insurance purposes? I would pay a auto-elec to go over my install.

The saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself" seems to ring more and more true in today's world.

Why protect the fitment center though. Name them.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Would a DIY job "certified" by an accredited auto-electrician suffice for insurance purposes? I would pay a auto-elec to go over my install.

The saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself" seems to ring more and more true in today's world.
    I don't see why not. Because that is how it works in these commercial stores... One guy is qualified/certified but there are 5 or 10 people doing installations. So much better to do it yourself and then just get someone to OK it.

The part in red I also completely agree with and I've learnt it multiple times.

With the above being said though, when it comes to automotive electrical work I cannot recommend Tino from G4 outdoor enough! His work is stellar and he comes to you.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by caesarcp View Post
    Shocking...
    only if it was AC.
    in Morne case:Burning.

joke aside
    Luckily he discovered problem on time.

That is just piss poor, sincerely, go back and speak to the fitment center owner and show them the level of work being done, whoever the person was did that does not deserve to work on vehicles..
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

I have seen this before, Its a typical example of people using unqualified people to do their work. Cheap labour yet the consumer needs to pay a premium for "qualified" people to do the job.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

24. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

in this case it is a distinct lack of pride and workmanship. 98% of faults that I find are hidden under insulation tape.

If you can, rather use uninsulated copper lugs rather than those yellow lugs, then shrink wrap it afterwards.

Price is about the same anyway but your reliability will be much higher.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

I had a similar experience with my trailer. Pulled the power panel out to find that either the manufacturer or the previous owner had wired the whole thing using red and black cables interchangeably. One connection would have 2 red cables the next 2 black cables.

Lights had been wired in by simply twisting two cables together inside the split loom.

The charger had been bypassed as the connection from the car went straight to the battery.

In my case I can't say who did what so will avoid the blame game but I will be re-wiring the entire trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmachine View Post
    That is SHOCKING!!
    Everyone is allowed to make a mistake, but that is not a mistake!! take the photos to the installer and ask the question.

And that is the sole reason that I personally do ALL my electrical aftermarket wiring and electrical installations myself.
    You are lucky you know what you arte doing >> I battle with changing Light Bulbs so with a job like this its LA Sport in PE here we come

Things like this make me see red, you don't have the skill to do something yourself, you pay a so called professional good money to do it for you since they are supposed to have the no how and then you end up with something which can't even be called workmanship.

I'd follow it up with them, take those pictures to the owner / manager and demand a explination.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast