Sekororo Trail - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sekororo Trail

Good to see you back, in one piece as it were, looking forward to those pics.
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is di oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Just in short, was a great trip and hanks a lot for the help from John and Louw to get that steering box to me. I will post some pics as well.
    Glad you got out how was the night alone their Henry? It was nice meeting you hope we meet again on another trip very soon I like your Cruiser nice vehicle and capable to. Did you get a steering box with a drop arm?
    We love our Landies8)

Bit of a writeup as I promised.

We left Musina at 14h00. Sekororo is waiting. So off we go. All packed and ready for the mountains. Just can't wait.

So we are heading for Camp David and Annie(the gps) says she knows where it is. Who are we to argue.

Got to Ofcolaco at 17h00 and Annie's routing is a bit screwed. Zoom out and we see that she has decided that she would rather send us through some farmlands, than to follow the roads, that she has loaded. In any case, we get to Camp David. R35pp for a campsite. When we get there, they have tents, with beds, for R85pp. So we opt for the tents.

Have a nice braai and hit the sack by 20h00. Sekororo is a hard task to tackle and we have to be AWAKE.

Up the next morning and we leave at 7h30. We need to get together by 8h00.

We get to the meeting point and only Louw and Garth is there. So we have some breakfast as we wait.

The rest of the guys arrive at about 9h00.

Some disappointments. My compressor is not working. (Found out today that the Cole Hersey that switches it on, is faulty). This means that I have no difflock.
    Then the Hilux SFA has steam coming out the bonnet. The heater selector valve has a crack and is squirting onto the engine.(Blanking off the heater pipes had that problem sorted.)

On the road by about 10h00. A long train of 9 vehicles. 1 Jeep, 3 Toyotas and 5 LR. Nice drive until we hit the meat of the trail. Only 2 read obstacles hear. 2 trees that was obstructing the road. Out comes the chain saw and problem solved.

On we go and things start getting hairy. The Disco and the Jeep with the TC makes us all look like amateurs. On this trail commitment and momentum is the name of the game. Take a big bite and go.

The staircase

With only 1 wheel in the back driving, there is no other way of getting Jaco around the corner.

Articulation guys. That is the name of the game.

Hold on guys. Just don't let go

I will let the pictures do the talking. Plenty fun and games on the way up. First casualty is Jaco. Breaks a sideshaft and twists the other at the staircase. The repair is to pull the center portion. Get the broken bit out. Put it back in, then put in the sideshaft that John brought with. The other came with Louw the next morning. That took 5min to get in.

Jaco at his best

Jaco's peril

That night John comes out with a pot of "boskos". Looked brilliant. It is a pot of his wife's brew, on the coals and then you braai bits of chicken and put it in the brew. This is where it gets fuzzy. John says that he tripped on a stone in the dark and fell with his hand in this hot pot of brew. 75% ended up in the fire. Nothing for us to put on the toast in the morning.

That night the wind arrived, found us and ripped the camp apart. Our tent is only 1,4m off the ground and was fine. The other tent was probably about 2m high and really got the brunt of the wind. When I looked out, the roof was about 500mm off the ground. It was bitterly cold.

The next morning we packed up, in the wind and we were waiting for Louw to get up with the sideshaft for Jaco. Jaco got his car going about 10min after Louw arrived. So off we go for the next days fun.

500m down and my steering box decides to part company with the steering mechanism. Clear a piece of indigenous forest and park the car out the way. Watch all the other guys go past and have their fun, without us. Hear them fighting with another nice tester of an incline and we are reduced to being spectators.

The piece of metal that was holding us on the road. Thank God that it broke doing 1km/h.

We were asked if we wanted to go with but we opted to stay with the car and get it ready for when the other steering box arrives. Gave us another day of camping in a beautiful indigenous forest. Just a bit cold though.

Waiting for better days

Cell reception was poor. So you end up hopping from 1 rock to the next to try and get constant signal. After a lot of running around, I located a steering box at N1 4x4. Got my guy from Musina to pick it up at 8h00 on Monday and deliver it to Ofcolaco. John and Louw collected it from him and then brought it up to us.

The cavalry

Took me 2hrs to get it in and the camp totally packed.

Fitting the steering box. (R7400)

Now to set off down the mountain. John was leading and it was 1km further that the fun started. First the steering link rod(I think that is the name) bends as we try and go down a real sticky decline. So we attach the strap to the LR and I pull it back and hold it steady. I feel like tits on a bull and really can only pass spanners. I really don't know my way around a LR. So Louw and John dive in under the LR and use a 4lb hammer and a ratchet and out comes a very bent rod. Then the bullbar serves as a straightener. Then the process is reversed. Get the rod back in.

Now John tries to reverse slightly, to be able to get the line right and the worst of noises. The diff is cooked. The rod is bent again. Out comes the rod. Straighten it. Get it back in and now we continue with a 2wd LR. Louw takes the wheel and decides that he will try and not use the brakes. That rod will bend again. This makes for some very exciting driving. And all of this in the dark. At times I couldn't see the track and couldn't see their tail lights. So Annie was my guide. I drove back on the tracks we laid down on the way up.

At the bottom we said or goodbyes and vowed to be back.

That night we slept at Camp David again.

Next morning we head of to Tzaneen. So I suggest we breakfast at "The Wheelbarrow". We leave there with our stomaches full and the car packed to the hilt. Swambo bought trees. About 30 of them. Mango, Avo, Litcie, Lemon, Orange, Macadamian. Also 12 pockets of oranges and 2 big bags of Avos. Maroela Jellie. Dried fruit. You name it. I had to remind her that we were not there in the truck.

Back in Musina at 12h00
    Last edited by Henris; 2009/07/01 at 08:49 AM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Henri you left out the part, there where you sat by the fire waiting for spares, and keep on repeating saying to yourself "please let a landy not have to tow me home"

Nice write up! Can't wait to see more pics, did you take any video by any chance?

So the list of spares to take along is growing to an extra LR sideshaft, wherever you go, and an extra LC steeringbox

That 'staircase' looks like suicide. Makes me nervous just sitting here in my office chair!

Will you do it again? I'd do it, in somebody elses car...
    White Fortuner
    Grey Duster

They say hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance?

Already told Louw that we will be back. Maybe when it is wet. Should be a lot more fun.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Already told Louw that we will be back. Maybe when it is wet. Should be a lot more fun.
    Oh well don't I look like a moffie now!

I just gotta spend about 100K on protection plates, sliders, protection plates for the sliders, rollbar, rollcage, maybe some trainer wheels, super absorbent undies and then I'm there like a bear!
    White Fortuner
    Grey Duster

They say hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance?

Ek hoor iemand wat saam met ons gery het,het ges al betaal ons hom ry hy nie weer daai roete nie.Groot skrik gevang.Die staircase was die maklikste van die hele trip.
    Last edited by JOHN GROBLER; 2009/07/03 at 01:02 PM.
    Land Rover Brotherhood
    Defender 3.5 v8
    Disco 3 v8 SE
    56 Series 1 107 bakkie
    Freelander 2 TD4 SE

Ek sal baie graag video wil sien, op fotos lyk alles altyd so maklik en glad nie groot of styl nie.

Nie eens 'n video sal die roete laat reg geskied nie dit was voorwaar taai maar ek wil dit weer doen Henri can't wait for the wet season it wil be fun John sien ek jou weer daar ouboet
    We love our Landies8)

eks reg as dit nat is!!
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Well then it sounds like we have to get a date from Louw.

John. please set it up.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

My gat juk!! Oom ek wil ook saam gaan. Sal mooi ry.

Kan IFS dit maak daar?
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Yes. IFS no problem. Will just have to have a raised suspension.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Kan IFS dit maak daar?
    I believe so a Disco 3 think it is heaven Louw said a couple of nissans has made it
    Last edited by pgaybba; 2009/07/04 at 12:02 PM.
    We love our Landies8)

putting this one on my list of lekker places. I am kinda tired of these fdrive around places like hennops and de wildt. At berakah a while ago we managed to go into situation due to all the rain, where it took an hour to do 500 meter. I love the techical stuff, packing rocks to make a road, scraping roofracks across trees and then getting back to the camp to clear the mud out the door handles.

But then I also don't really want to break my only vehicle either, Monday I have to go work with the thing.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

julle begin my regtig lus maak vir iets moeliker as Nelspruit se mountain trails. die route begin aan my krap. eers cheeky reg kry. wil September die olifants route gaan ry en dan is ek reg.
    laat weet maar guys. die route klink vir my REG.
    WEAPON OF MASS CONSUMPTION

33" Hankook MT's | Blitz 15" rims | RC 6.5" lift kit | Custom roof carrier | Roof top spots | Custom Rock rails | Raised fender flares b| Custom cup holders

To come:

Custom drop brackets | Custom front/rear bumpers | Rear tyre carrier | Winch | Home brew snorkel

Some pictures from Sekororo

LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast