Default Kasanka and beyond - advice please

Greetings fellow travellers... Some advice required please

We are fortunate to have a booking in Kasanka to view the bats around 12th Nov. After that we are pretty free other than slowly making our way up North to ultimately leave our vehicle in Tanzania till early next year

Now for the unknowns... Given that we might be on the cusp of the rainy season, is it practical to travel East and try to fit in South and/or North Luangwa?... And if so what route would one consider?

We are predominantly campers, and prefer camping over lodges etc. Travel solo (only vehicle), so need to be slightly cautious of getting caught with our proverbial pants down.

Apart from Kasanka, no other bookings (prefer to travel without too many plans).

An opinion or two would be greatly appreciated

Dankie by voorbaat!

Default Re: Kasanka and beyond - advice please

Hard to be wise. But wishing to incorporate both South and North Luangwa into your trip, you would need at least 10 days of dry weather after your Kasanka leg. Even modern meteorology can not give very reliable forecast for 10 days ahead.

If I were in your shoes, being a solo vehicle, I would probably not dare to risk tje whole South to North Luangwa and up the escarpment traversal at that time.

If the weather forecast for the next few days after Kasanka would be encouraging (and if it was overall still dry at that time), I would probably rather venture into Bangweulu Wetlands for few days. From there, you can continue into Mutinondo wilderness and then to Kapishya hotsprings. There you can get reliable up to date information about roas conditions into North Luangwa from Mark Harwey and possibly visit it for a short stay. Or even venture into NE Zambia to see some of the many waterfalls there.

My 2 cents.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

My understanding is that North Luangwa closes for the rains at the end of October. The pontoon over the Luangwa river is packed away also. South Luangwa has some all year access, but that is via Lusaka, Chipata and Mfuwe. The infamous 05 is NOT accessible that late in November. I have written about the 05 on this forum. A search will bring it up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

If I were you I would do the Luangwa valley (north and south) on your way back from Tanzania - after the rains in June/July. The Luangwa valley is one of the finest wildlife areas in Africa.

The southern African rainfall pattern reaches southern Tanzania in December, but who knows with climate change... Northern Tanzania has a different rainy season to southern Tanzania - it is subject to the Indian Ocean monsoon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Use this at your own discretion.

I would send 28t trucks loaded with sugar to Mansa, Kasama, Mpulungu, Chama, Mpika, Chipata and surrounds, all year round. That part of Zambia wasnt the one that would give me headaches regarding weather related delays and bogged vehicles.

The best will be to ask locally, closer the time. Since you arent making firm arrangements, you will have the flexibility to adjust your routes accordingly.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

Thank you All ... Very much appreciated

I think you have underscored my initial concerns about trying to gamble with the Luangwas' late November... As you say, Bwana from the North, rather do that area on the way back (might be two years time)

Will also make use of local knowledge and enjoy the opportuties that present themselves at the time. Right now the Bat's are our priority

Will keep the forum updated with a trip report

Please do keep us informed with a trip report or rolling commentary.

Safari njema!

I took the 05 from Mfuwe and back last weekend, road was in pretty reasonable condition but would want it to be wet. On the way back we caught some rain in the northern part of SLNP, only a few mms (<10mm) and the black cotton soil got very very slippery.
    we also had rain in Mfuwe this morning, so the rains aren't far away. Late November in definitely off the cards in my opinion better to do what wazungu said and catch it in June/ July when it isn't a thousand degrees and the roads are passable.
    2002 HZJ105R Land Cruiser - being built as an overlander

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ozranger For This Useful Post: