Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Coming to your neighborhood: Radiant portable mini nuclear reactors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    Apparently very safe:

Radiant says its fuel "does not melt down, and withstands higher temperatures when compared to traditional nuclear fuels." Using helium as the coolant "greatly reduces corrosion, boiling and contamination risks," and the company says it's received provisional patents for ideas it's developed around refueling the reactors and efficiently transporting heat out of the reactor core.

Well Ebola is also safe - As long as it is stored away in a lab in a cryogenic test tube on the other side of the world. Oh wait, wasn't there something similar that escaped from a lab about 2 years ago.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Default Re: Coming to your neighborhood: Radiant portable mini nuclear reactors.

There have been several development cycles on these mini reactors. I think Russians have working one. ASEA proposed on around 1970.

Two big problems:
    - Nuclear regulations are for the big unit. These mini reactors require totally different regulations. They do not exist.

- Terrorism risk. If it is container size it can be stolen.

Technology exist. In the link you see defueled American nuclear sub reactor sections. They are in the open so that satellite can monitor them. If I remember right this is under SALT II treaty.

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map...s/view/google/

Nuclear subs are not called Boomers because they are noisy. Subs that carry nuclear missiles are Boomers. When the missile hits = Boom. Boomers are actually so quiet that they are practically impossible to find until they start launching. French and British Boomers collided on patrol few years back. I think they have learned and now use different areas. American Ohio subs are given an area and only few crew members know what is their position within that area. Nobody on the land knows. Russian subs are noisier but they stay close to the land protected by diesel electric subs.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    South Africa's attempt was probably one of the biggest money wasting scams ever.
    Couldnt agree more.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    There is a reason why the Ruskie nuke subs are called "Boomers" :-)
    Were they not called boomers because of their size and the amount of destruction they could release?

Anyways, interesting concept. Fascinating times we live in. I have always been one who is for nuclear power. Provided it is managed correctly, built properly and above all maintained 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by StangV2_0 View Post
    Were they not called boomers because of their size and the amount of destruction they could release?

Anyways, interesting concept. Fascinating times we live in. I have always been one who is for nuclear power. Provided it is managed correctly, built properly and above all maintained 100%.
    I am a MAJOR proponent and supporter of Nuclear Power.

Done properly and responsibly it is the same as other sustainable technologies. Like eating cows and wearing fur coats, using fuel in our cars, cereal in our bowls, Rock Music and Whisky in our veins.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

What was the scam ?And what is the storyabout the escom engineers?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

Done properly and responsibly it is the same as other sustainable technologies. Like eating cows and wearing fur coats, using fuel in our cars, cereal in our bowls, Rock Music and Whisky in our veins.
    Agree 100%. Many people refer to Chernobyl as an example of what will happen in a Nuclear Power Station accident. And it's not a good example. Let me explain.

The persons who designed the reactor were aware that activating a certain emergency shut down could cause catastrophic failure. But this was overlooked and swept under the carpet until after the explosion.

Is that still an accident?

Regardless. Done right it can help our country.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StangV2_0 For This Useful Post:

At some point the government invested R10 Billion per year into the research with zero results for all the years of research. I knew a couple of people that worked on the project and the money was just squandered away.
    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    What was the scam ?And what is the storyabout the escom engineers?

It was Cold War decision. Chernobyl type produces a bit more plutonium than other types Soviet Union had. They did the same test in East Germany. It nearly did have the same result. Originally The test was to be done at a unit near Finnish border but it was moved.

Accident in Japan was self made. Relates to loss of face. Japanese culture is the problem.

Not one of the nuclear reactors within Soviet borders have/had containment building. Japanese reactor was an old American design with some known issues. Containment was for instance way too small in size.

Soviets knew how to build reliable units. Here is the data for one of them:
    https://www.world-nuclear.org/reacto...aspx/LOVIISA-1
    Look at the availability. Finns added containment and Siemens controls. That early dip relates radiation damages on the reactor vessel. Issue was solved and copied to other similar units.

Quote Originally Posted by StangV2_0 View Post
    Agree 100%. Many people refer to Chernobyl as an example of what will happen in a Nuclear Power Station accident. And it's not a good example. Let me explain.

The persons who designed the reactor were aware that activating a certain emergency shut down could cause catastrophic failure. But this was overlooked and swept under the carpet until after the explosion.

Is that still an accident?

Regardless. Done right it can help our country.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

The problem is our Eeischkom maintenance wallahs cant follow a simple process to bleed hydrogen from conventional generation plants, can we trust them to properly and with processes maintain a nuclear plant. Koeberg appears to answer in the affirmative, but if we build a few more can we provide the skills, or afford to import them. With our older coal fleet aging out rapidly, Medupi and Kusile too badly designed to ever run at capacity, we're going to need something, and it can't take 30 years to build.

Smaaking the sound of home solar a lot. The techies must just keep coming with the storage innovation.
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2021/10/18 at 10:58 PM.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

I realise loads can be diversified, but 1000kW supplying 1000 homes (so 1kW/house) seems a little optimistic..
    Office Johnny
    2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold
    2011 Ford Escape 2.5 4x2

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    The problem is our Eeischkom maintenance wallahs cant follow a simple process to bleed hydrogen from conventional generation plants, can we trust them to properly and with processed maintain a nuclear plant. Koeberg appears to answer in the affirmative, but if we build a few more can we provide the skills, or afford to import them. With our older coal fleet aging out rapidly, Medupi and Kusile too badly designed to ever run at capacity, we're going to need something, and it can't take 30 years to build.

Smaaking the sound of home solar a lot. The techies must just keep coming with the storage innovation.
    Reality check. Solar based residential off grid is 100% feasible right now.

Just think about it. You go on a camping holiday for two weeks without Eksdom.

Why canít you do that at home ??

Not for now, but as a reminder to me, how they do it in Asia.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

It is, but more expensive than Eeischkom power, which means it makes sense in many areas, including predictability, but not financial. But I'm starting shortly. I've got two projects that need doing. A new roof, old one chowed stukkend by borer and probably won't take the solar panel weight. Second is a new kitchen, which involved taking out half a wall which houses the current DB. So I'll be sorting out the upstairs power when we do the roof, rationalise, go 12 volt, and build the new DB at the same time. That ties into moving the DB for the kitchen and dividing it into 2, one to be driven by the solar and inverter, the other grid linked for that day when we can feed I to the grid at a worthwhile rate and level. If that never happens, it will give the eventual new owners an out of solar if they don't feel like the maintenance.

And given that I'm in for about R250k - R300k for the two main projects, I'll have to take baby steps with solar.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Default Coming to your neighborhood: Radiant portable mini nuclear reactors.

Weíre going slightly off topic but letís just assume the thread has morphed to renewable energy discussion.

Hereís the big trap with solar that I see down the road:
    Grid power is the lifeline of ALL municipalities in SA. Nationally billions have been invested by private individuals/entities to cut the umbilical from Eishkom. The lawmakers will have no option but to enact powerful legislation to tax solar installations. Now your local municipality will get income from zero capital outlay from the state with a healthy boost from Vat on the assets.

This will come. There is no escape hatch other than jumping ship or running for the hills.

Seriously considering the latter specially after C19.
    Last edited by Zapiture; 2021/10/19 at 05:05 AM.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    Weíre going slightly off topic but letís just assume the thread has morphed to renewable energy discussion.

Hereís the big trap with solar that I see down the road:
    Grid power is the lifeline of ALL municipalities in SA. Nationally billions have been invested by private individuals/entities to cut the umbilical from Eishkom. The lawmakers will have no option but to enact powerful legislation to tax solar installations. Now your local municipality will get income from zero capital outlay from the state with a healthy boost from Vat on the assets.

This will come. There is no escape hatch other than jumping ship or running for the hills.

Seriously considering the latter specially after C19.
    True story. The same is happening here. Below is a photo from my front garden. Count how many houses donít have solar. I think itís only the new place right at the bottom, but give it a few months. This would be the same in any direction I pointed the camera. Since installing my 7kW panel I havenít paid an electricity bill, but weíre off the one side of the bell curve.

The only ones who donít have solar are those who canít afford it. The net result is that the poor are beginning to prop up the distribution network. Which is deemed unfair by the bleeding hearts and letís be honest probably not sustainable.

So what now? All sorts of new policies being discussed.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Finnish towns and cities have generally central heating systems = hot water pipes. Municipalities have used this system to tax users. There have been court cases to limit the extra "tax" on heating. With better and better heat pumps block of flats and houses do not want to join the money milking system. Now to drill heat pump pipes to ground they ask building permits.... Restrictions are coming as the golden goose is stolen.

Politicians are greedy buggers. They buy votes using public funds and when one source vanishes they look for an other. Today ALL extra fees are said to be there to prevent global warming and man on the street takes such stories seriously. Nothing to do with global warming - just greediness.

Taxes on electric cars are planned as those collected on petrol are reducing...
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

The problem with nuclear is not the technology it's the commercial viability. At inception nuclear makes commercial sense but not a single nuclear power station has come in on budget for the last 20 years with overruns of 30% or more, so in reality nuclear is way more expensive. This is why these smaller modular type projects are so interesting because in theory we should be able to get the commercials under control through repetition.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

As for taxes on renewables the issue faced by Eskom and municipalities is the concept of stranded assets as power stations and grids are used less and less thanks to off grid generation. Nersa has already knocked down Eskom's request for a capacity charge in their fee structure and similarly with municipalities but I see this raising it's head again as on site generation picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    As for taxes on renewables the issue faced by Eskom and municipalities is the concept of stranded assets as power stations and grids are used less and less thanks to off grid generation. Nersa has already knocked down Eskom's request for a capacity charge in their fee structure and similarly with municipalities but I see this raising it's head again as on site generation picks up.
    I'd like to think that it would be constitutionally impossible to bill me a "capacity charge" merely because the eThekwini municipality had the capacity to provide me with power, especially if I disconnect their feed. They'd have to do the same for every dwelling, formal or informal, and they'd be stoned to try that (sic). I'd expect to have Vumatel send me a capacity charge becuase they put a fibre termination box on my verge. I'm not using it, but I could, and might at some stage, but..

However, the last time they tried the "user pays" scenario it didn't exactly work (eTolls in Gauteng) so I can't imagine the authorities making that mistake again, so they're just going to generally tax for it in the lump of income tax we're supposed to pay. OT, I'll go away now.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    True story. The same is happening here. Below is a photo from my front garden. Count how many houses donít have solar. I think itís only the new place right at the bottom, but give it a few months. This would be the same in any direction I pointed the camera. Since installing my 7kW panel I havenít paid an electricity bill, but weíre off the one side of the bell curve.

The only ones who donít have solar are those who canít afford it. The net result is that the poor are beginning to prop up the distribution network. Which is deemed unfair by the bleeding hearts and letís be honest probably not sustainable.

So what now? All sorts of new policies being discussed.
    What policies are being mooted Bruce? SA will probably look outside for guidelines as usual so it would be of interest to get an idea of what Aussies are thinking.

Thanks
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast