Default Power tools: Battery adapters

So with a number of different brands of power tools out there, I find it quite pointless in having to buy new batteries for different tools.

Batteries don't last forever, so being able to inter change the batteries between different brands would be great

I don't have a lot of cordless power tools, only a decent Bosch 18V cordless drill with 2 batteries.

Obviously I can expand on the Bosch range with what I may need, but Bosch does not make everything.

Even thinking of going battery operated lawn trimmer, but now another brand, with a separate set of batteries.

I've come across these adaptors on Banggood:

Battery adapter for bosch 18v li-ion convert to for makita 18v power tools Sale - Banggood.com

Adaptor would obviously need to match the trimmer I go for, but in the long run, it might save on having to purchase a separate charger and battery if they all the same voltage.

Anyone use the battery adaptors? Or manage to source them locally?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to franshorn For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Power tools: Battery adapters

I think you need to choose a vendor an stick with them. I have gone with Dewalt and they seem to have the best record of maintaining some degree of backward compatibility.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by franshorn View Post

Anyone use the battery adaptors? Or manage to source them locally?
    There have been several tests of the adapters. They work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OkT_SU6GSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMssklzoBAk

The issue is the quality of the battery.........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Interesting.
    We have a Bosch cordless drill and Bosch cordless vacuum cleaner.

I just ordered a cordless chain saw last night. No prizes for guessing the brand
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

I think these adapters are the future. Most amateurs start with cheaper tools and then gradually invest in higher quality brands, but we all have a Ryobi that refuses to die. Sticking to one brand is ideal, but not practical.
    Let us know your experience.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    There have been several tests of the adapters. They work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OkT_SU6GSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMssklzoBAk

The issue is the quality of the battery.........
    it also makes the tool bulkier so it makes a lot more sense to stay within your eco system. Only reason I see to buy outside of your chosen range is there is a specific tool you want from another manufacturer that is better than your system, be it because of price and/or performance.

but it is nice to have the option of using adaptors - see the makita battery to Dewalt tool is aprox R600 incl shipping so not too bad
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/10/18 at 12:24 PM.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Makita replacement battery is horribly expensive. This could quite well be a solution.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

I have the dewalt adapters. They allow one to use the different dewalt batteries in dewalt tools (ie US to RSA)

They are made in china.

They work. They are not ideal. They move the weight of the tool and it becomes uncomfortable to use.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to silver6933 For This Useful Post:

I also started off with Bosch cordless drill with extra batteries...then the drill got stolen and after insurance paid I had a lot of batteries...

but its difficult to get Bosch stuff, local Buco actually gave up on them, says the rep only comes by every 6 months, if that. So I now have a Makita grinder and edge trimmer/weedeater and loving it. Will be getting the Bosch battery adapters from Banggood soon so very interested in the feedback on this thread. want to get a impact cordless next

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
    I also started off with Bosch cordless drill with extra batteries...then the drill got stolen and after insurance paid I had a lot of batteries...

but its difficult to get Bosch stuff, local Buco actually gave up on them, says the rep only comes by every 6 months, if that. So I now have a Makita grinder and edge trimmer/weedeater and loving it. Will be getting the Bosch battery adapters from Banggood soon so very interested in the feedback on this thread. want to get a impact cordless next
    Buy this one, you will NOT be sorry, nothing comes close in terms of price vs power. There is a little writeup in the tooldrool thread on mine.
    https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/impact-wrenches/2067870/

Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-19 075521.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  107.7 KB
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

I 3d printed an adapter from my old Ryobi drill and i'm using my makita batteries on it. I did notice that the Ryobi will simply drain the battery till there's nothing left in it where as my makita drill will cut out at a certain battery level. So the Ryobi is most probably harming the battery.