Default Spare Wheel Mounting - Venter Trailer

Greetings All

Where does one typically carry the spare wheel for a fairly elderly Venter Trailer?

My 7 foot trailer must be 20 years old but credit to the manufacturer is in remarkable condition. I have always transported the spare in the nose cone. That being said there appears to be a threaded bolt mounting point just behind the axle which I assume is for a spare?

I have upgraded the rims to 13" as well on the trailer - so if this is a mounting point for a spare - it might now be too small for the bigger rim and tyre!

I am not unhappy with carrying the spare in the nose cone but wondered if there were any other (safe) options?

With thanks and kind regards

Default Re: Spare Wheel Mounting - Venter Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Gus3 View Post
    Greetings All

Where does one typically carry the spare wheel for a fairly elderly Venter Trailer?

My 7 foot trailer must be 20 years old but credit to the manufacturer is in remarkable condition. I have always transported the spare in the nose cone. That being said there appears to be a threaded bolt mounting point just behind the axle which I assume is for a spare?

I have upgraded the rims to 13" as well on the trailer - so if this is a mounting point for a spare - it might now be too small for the bigger rim and tyre!

I am not unhappy with carrying the spare in the nose cone but wondered if there were any other (safe) options?

Yes, below trailer behind axle. Just make sure there is a hole trough the threaded bolt for a padlock. And fill the keyhole with grease otherwise mud and gunk will spoil your day when you need to to change a wheel.
    Jaco Nell

Thank you Jaco

Excellent point re padlock.

I assume that there is some kind of steel plate / nut type set-up which "keeps" the spare in place?

I appreciate the feedback sir.

Kind regards

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gus3 For This Useful Post:

Greetings All

I had the ‘99 version. Upgraded to 13” with ease and it still fit in the original position behind the axle.
    Sent from my iPhone

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Thank you Jaco

Excellent point re padlock.

I assume that there is some kind of steel plate / nut type set-up which "keeps" the spare in place?

I appreciate the feedback sir.

Kind regards
    These spares are easily available from Venter Trailers Stores or online

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RoddieJ For This Useful Post:

Thank you Sir

I made this little handle with nut to hold spare in place. Much easier than to battle with a ringspanner or socket roadside. Handle's lowest point still higher than axle, so no ploughing and collecting "middelmannetjies".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jaco Nell

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

I have mounted my spare on the front of the trailer, which could have been quite easily attached at the back, on the side, underneath - the choice is yours…
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    I made this little handle with nut to hold spare in place. Much easier than to battle with a ringspanner or socket roadside. Handle's lowest point still higher than axle, so no ploughing and collecting "middelmannetjies".
    That is a very practical solution- well done !

Only problem I have with a spare being mounted underneath a trailer,is having to remove it when you get a flat when driving on mud or wet areas ie climbing underneath and battling. Why not mount on top of nose cone or trailer lid,making sure you have sturdy support inside as well as locking tyre inside lid ie tyre outside with a bar going through tyre rim and lid and secured and locked inside lid.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Only problem I have with a spare being mounted underneath a trailer,is having to remove it when you get a flat when driving on mud or wet areas ie climbing underneath and battling. Why not mount on top of nose cone or trailer lid,making sure you have sturdy support inside as well as locking tyre inside lid ie tyre outside with a bar going through tyre rim and lid and secured and locked inside lid.
    I have since sold the trailer but would now have considered moving ti to the nosecone area or maybe on one side.
    The short handle arrangement above is brilliant and would have made it much easier.

If you want to mount a tent on top of the trailer the spare would be in the way there.
    As you get older it is not only the mud / wet etc. issue but also it becomes a two man job especially to place the spare back into position under there.
    Fo sho. I had my spare for the trailer in the usual place underneath
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

I do not get your problem regarding muddy or wet areas. Easily solved - send the WIFE. 🥴🤕🤕
    Jaco Nell

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

And fill the keyhole with grease otherwise mud and gunk will spoil your day when you need to to change a wheel.
    I have many padlocks on my touring rig - spare wheels, gas bottles, jerry cans etc.
    I aways block the keyholes and the holes where the shackles enter the body of the padlock.
    After doing that I never have a problem unlocking any of the padlock, even after many years of not been operated.

I've never used grease however. My thoughts are that that may cause other problems when inserting the key into the lock and pushing (dirty) grease into the padlock.
    Instead I use Prestik or Car Body Non-Setting Sealant Putty.
    It's easy to remove when required and comes off in one clump.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    I have many padlocks on my touring rig - spare wheels, gas bottles, jerry cans etc.
    I aways block the keyholes and the holes where the shackles enter the body of the padlock.
    After doing that I never have a problem unlocking any of the padlock, even after many years of not been operated.

I've never used grease however. My thoughts are that that may cause other problems when inserting the key into the lock and pushing (dirty) grease into the padlock.
    Never had a problem with grease - but once I had to use a padlock, will let it soak in Sunlight liquid before using it again.
    Last edited by jaconell; 2021/10/19 at 11:50 AM.
    Jaco Nell

The Venter trailer Spare Wheel issue was a focus point when I upgraded my trailer. When rebuilding the whole chassis I decided to make it longer and move the nose cone forward with the spare wheel in between. I balanced this with adding fuel brackets at the back so the trailer remained balanced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venter rebuilt.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	603.3 KB 
ID:	633346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6833.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	490.2 KB 
ID:	633347  
    The more we talk about what is wrong, the less we see what is right in this world.

I do not get your problem regarding muddy or wet areas. Easily solved - send the WIFE.
    I take it (1) you are not married or (2) you smoke and drink powerful pain blockers and rocket fuel or (3) you drive a 4x2 have big testicles and your wife is not a member here nor knows any lady here
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

I take it (1) you are not married or (2) you smoke and drink powerful pain blockers and rocket fuel or (3) you drive a 4x2 have big testicles and your wife is not a member here nor knows any lady here
    Happily married to a blonde bomb for 21 years.

Often smoke and drink powerfull stuff, but not painblockers (is Mampoer rocket fuel?).

Have a 4x4.

Meduim sized ones.

WIFE DOES NOT PERUSE THIS FINE FORUM (nor does any of her boring and all-knowing friends).
    Jaco Nell

Happily married to a blonde bomb for 21 years.

Often smoke and drink powerfull stuff, but not painblockers (is Mampoer rocket fuel?).

Have a 4x4.

Meduim sized ones.

WIFE DOES NOT PERUSE THIS FINE FORUM (nor does any of her boring and all-knowing friends).
    Hahahaha
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

I do not get your problem regarding muddy or wet areas. Easily solved - send the WIFE. 🥴🤕🤕
    EISH !!!!!
    I can try but it will not fly.
    Also may not be good for general happiness .... etc.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post

So then given your comments I guess that you have a trailer "Cuff" lock and chain as well ? (Security device and safety chain combination).
    I tested one off-road with the trailer a few years back and still use it to this day - now on the small caravan. (Not off-road!)
    Peter Hutchison