Thread: Road trip

Default Road trip

Good afternoon all
    As the subject states, my wife and I are taking a road trip which will include travelling from Calvinia to Sutherland to Ceres. We will be driving in our Isuzu 4x4 and what I would like to know is the condition of the roads on this route. I have heard that there is one section of road between Sutherland and Ceres that is especially hard on tyres and if that is the case I would consider going via Maaitjiesfontein if that will be the better route.
    Any assistance and advice will be highly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Road trip

I drove the R365 from Sutherland to Ceres earlier today. There were the odd sharp stones, but in general it was a smooth drive. There was also some water damage here and there, but nothing serious. It really was an easy drive, with some nice passes and views. Just keep your eyes on the speedo and on the road, as there are a couple of dips and bumps that you donít want to hit at speed.

No reason to go via Matjiesfontein!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

I've done this route numerous times over the years for work, tyre pressure makes a massive difference to comfort levels and peace of mind.
    In both the Ranger and the Dmax I dropped down to 1.8.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GreigD View Post
    Good afternoon all
    As the subject states, my wife and I are taking a road trip which will include travelling from Calvinia to Sutherland to Ceres. We will be driving in our Isuzu 4x4 and what I would like to know is the condition of the roads on this route. I have heard that there is one section of road between Sutherland and Ceres that is especially hard on tyres and if that is the case I would consider going via Maaitjiesfontein if that will be the better route.
    Any assistance and advice will be highly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    This is the route I drove last week Monday & Tuesday. The circled areas are pretty corrugated and stoney, but keep an eye out, deflate to 1.8 (cold), stay below 80km/h and keep inside the ruts and you'll be fine.

Amazing how the R355 improved as soon as you enter the Western Cape.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~135000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 35000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post: