Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wind energy

Default Re: Wind energy

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Not the expert but how many solar panels,inverter and batteries would equal the expense of one wind turbine that is not guaranteed to generate on most days as well as the expense to maintain said turbine . What is the pay back time Vs solar.
    My personal opinion (after much thought and minimum research) is that it will be a good backup system for off-grid solar applications along the Cape coast. But, it is expensive (apparently) to buy and install.

My friend put one up in Umdloti and it took the locals a few hours to complain and he had to take it down.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    My friend put one up in Umdloti and it took the locals a few hours to complain and he had to take it down.
    Noise??

Is the Microcare factory not in PE?
    They do solar and wind controllers.

Generally wind is not a good option if you living in town.
    Biggest issue is noise and size.
    On the farm you can do what you want to do, no problem.

You could also look at the vertical spinners. They create less noise and do not need such a large clearance area.

I have done all the calculations and for a normal household installation your money would be much better spent going Lithium batteries or installing more solar PV.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wetkit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    I have no idea why these are so expensive. I looked around a bit and you can get a 30kw three phase unit from China for prices in that range.

I am seriously considering importing one or more.

C
    Just check how much wind you get. I was going to build a home made 800W unit for fun until I realised that we simply did not get enough wind to power the puppy for any useful length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Noise??
    The also need to be mounted very high to catch the wind so would be a potential eyesore to neighbours. Probably above 6 or 7m above ground level min.

Noise??

Minced LBJ's
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

I think, if ever tested in court the green option will trump the aesthetics option.

It's coming.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Just check how much wind you get. I was going to build a home made 800W unit for fun until I realised that we simply did not get enough wind to power the puppy for any useful length of time.
    This is for the farm and the plan was to mount it on the edge of the escarpment. There is almost continual wind there. On a quiet day when there is no wind on the farm and we're not pumping water because the windmills aren't functioning, there is a nice cool wind blowing on the edge of the escarpment.

I'm worried now that those Chines specs may by suspect though after reading all of the above. In any event, the idea was that it would be in addition to solar panels to give that extra bit at night.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ralton View Post
    Are there manufacturers/installers of home wind energy systems I can contact?

Is wind energy a viable option Vs solar?

(in PE we do get the occasional breeze)
    Being in PE, just drive to the Pier, there is a wind turbine in use there. The noise factor is something to note. Don't think it will be wise

My experience with wind turbines is only what I have observed others do directly, but it might be relevant.

We have a wifi relay tower on a mountain that has struggled with solar only supply as the demand was getting more and more. In the end the solution was a wind turbine that would take over at night. It is about a 3 kW turbine and the concrete base for the tower extended 1 meter into the solid rock, it is not a tennis court sized deal, but it is substantial. It was a cheaper option than expanding the solar panels and batteries even more and it is more effective June - Sept than the solar panels.

On the other side I have seen farmers with also a combination of Solar, generators and Wind turbines in the 1 kW range , and those wind turbines tend to be high maintenance. I don't know if they are cheap chinesium or a better brand, but they often get damaged by strong winds and once a blade is out of balance or a bearing goes they tend go quick.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser
    Website https://www.gama4x4trails.com/home
    Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/JorsMalan

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Minced LBJ's
    Oh dear, yes. My wife will personally pull it down and tear it up after the first hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    Being in PE, just drive to the Pier, there is a wind turbine in use there. The noise factor is something to note. Don't think it will be wise
    Is this a big unit or are we taking about 2/3kw. There is a graph of a private guy who fitted a 2kw in Westville in a office park.

@Bigboy. The figures I mentioned was from the 1st link I clicked on after you mentioned the price range of Wind power.

Noise??
    I was involved in a windy site where a trial wind turbine was considered by the municipality. One of the people from the provincial environmental authority noted that she'd tried one (Chinese) in the KZN Midlands for her house and it had been very noisy. It blew itself to pieces (pardon the pun) in short order during strong winds. The muni lost interest when another of their trial turbine (which probably had 4m or 5m long blades, maybe more and a 15m or so tower, blew itself to pieces. Maybe look at marine suppliers and experience?

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Is this a big unit or are we taking about 2/3kw. There is a graph of a private guy who fitted a 2kw in Westville in a office park.

@Bigboy. The figures I mentioned was from the 1st link I clicked on after you mentioned the price range of Wind power.

Ja sorry the discussion got a bit mixed up between 1 kW and 3 kW units.

Point however stands, you are not going to put up a wind turbine whether 1 kW or 10 kW with a 6m pole or whatever and a bag of ready mix concrete. It will need something much more substantial able to take the weight and wind load generated at a specific height, it will probably have to be designed and signed off by a structural engineer, conform to SANS codes, local building regulations, environmental regulations etc. Eventually your support structure might just cost you more than the turbine itself.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ralton View Post
    Just had a look at the Tesus website and it certainly looks interesting.

The Tesup Zeus 3kw unit with controller and pole would cost less than R20k.

The wind blows every day in PE.
    That is why I posted the Tesup Zeus information. Good to see that they employ the brake in high wind times. The rotary type blades also look interesting. Also many different sizes.

Just putting it out there in case any of you missed it?
    Environmentally friendly?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...p-in-landfills

Quote Originally Posted by tripodontour View Post
    Probably many similar uses.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

We installed a Tesup unit on my FIL's farm a year ago to supplement the solar during the night. I honestly think they would have been better off just increasing the solar panels and battery capacity.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast