Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 4

    Default Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    Hi all

    I'm wanting to get a set of load bars for my vehicle, which require roof tracks fitted in place of the existing roof rails. As far as I understand, it involves bending the tracks to a point that the T-slots aren't compromised, dropping the roof lining, drilling the roof and missing the airbags so requires a bit of experience. Alternatively, could the factory points that exist for the roof rails be used (see image), and will they be sufficient enough?
    Does anyone know of a place in Cape Town that will do the drilling etc if required?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof rails.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	633202

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Overlanding Southern Africa
    Age
    44
    Posts
    262
    Thanked: 113

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    Just use Alucab Loadbars. With modification, their supplied mounts can fit factory GV roof nuts.
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +64-21832765 (Currently in New Zealand)

    2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Overlanding Southern Africa
    Age
    44
    Posts
    262
    Thanked: 113

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars


    - Mount length of aluminium flat bar (20x8mm) to roof using existing factory roof nuts
    - Mount Alucab Mounts to Flat Bar
    - Mount Alucab Bars to Alucab Mounts
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +64-21832765 (Currently in New Zealand)

    2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    36
    Posts
    683
    Thanked: 184

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by HughMitchell View Post
    Hi all

    I'm wanting to get a set of load bars for my vehicle, which require roof tracks fitted in place of the existing roof rails. As far as I understand, it involves bending the tracks to a point that the T-slots aren't compromised, dropping the roof lining, drilling the roof and missing the airbags so requires a bit of experience. Alternatively, could the factory points that exist for the roof rails be used (see image), and will they be sufficient enough?
    Does anyone know of a place in Cape Town that will do the drilling etc if required?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof rails.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	633202
    If you just want load bars, you can go Thule route. No modifications to car required. They fit onto existing tracks and can thus be moved and removed as required. Max load is 75kg
    2019 Ford Everest 3.2 AWD
    2013 Suzuki GV 2.4 sold
    2010 Suzuki Jimny sold

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    116
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    This is what I have done to fit the roof rack from my previous Jimny. I didn't want to remove the existing rails and wanted something that can easily be removed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211017_075415.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	633214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211017_075353.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	633215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211017_075337.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	633216

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    Thanks for your answers.

    While all of these are partially what I'm looking for, I need a solution that is flexible along the length of the roof for different load lengths which is why I require the tracks installed + I need the mounting options that load bars offer that Thule doesn't offer.
    The Alu Cab load bars are what I'm looking at, but need the flexibility to move them along the length of the roof on the tracks (narrower or wider).

    Does anyone know where to get roof tracks with T-slots installed in Cape Town?

    I went to 4x4 MegaWorld and said they can't get the Front Runner tracks for a GV without getting the whole roof rack, which isn't what I'm looking for.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    I've asked Front Runner if it's possible to get the roof tracks (product code TRSV001) separately, but I assume it's unlikely.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,949
    Thanked: 306

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by HughMitchell View Post
    I've asked Front Runner if it's possible to get the roof tracks (product code TRSV001) separately, but I assume it's unlikely.
    It is possible to just get the standard 1850mm tracks (plus the rubber that goes between the tracks and the roof) from Front Runner - even if you buy the ones specifically for the GV, they do not fit out of the box and need to be bent to fit the particular curves of the GV roof. This is possible to do, but is pretty hard labour if you do not have nice big workshop vices. (See here for my post on installing the Front Runner Roof Rack)

    It is NOT necessary to drill through your roof unless you are going to be mounting roof rails at the very extremes of the front an back of the roof. there are 5 mounting points as you have seen along the GV roof, which give support at over 80% of the roof length. You will also need the spacer kit which comes with the Front Runner Grand Vitara kit (these metal spacers fill the gap between the tracks and the mounting points). The last two points a either end of the rails require a rivnut to be attached to the spindly little bracket , and are not really for support - this is where you would drill if you were mounting a full length roof rack....

    Considering you are wanting to mount the Alucab load bars, can I assume you are looking at one of their hardshell RTTS?

    Unless you are loading something this heavy I would say this is all overkill for loadbars - all decent loadbar mountings are generally adjustable for width. When I was researching this though, I found the Thule ones that I wanted were actually almost the same price as the Frontrunner roof rack.

    If you are not wanting to do it yourself, places like Safari Centre can fit it for you - but they will be drilling, they believe in making it strong.
    Last edited by daveysmith; 2021/10/17 at 04:49 PM.

    Suzi Blue 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    Interesting. Thank you for the feedback Dave. Similar to HughMitchell, I was also looking for the replacement roof rails to fit a custom roof rack that I bought, but Front Runner doesnít sell these separately.

    Iíve noted that the GV has a very odd shaped roof in the sense that curves upwards and outwards which makes it difficult to fit universal rails, such as the one 4x4 Direct sells. I was planning on making my own load bars by using the existing rails and bolts, but that would require quite a bit of work which I would prefer to avoid if possible.

    How far out is the GV specific Front Runner rails i.e. did it fit perfectly on the outward curve of the roof as well or is it straight and wide enough to ďabsorbĒ that difference (itís not a lot IIRC, but too much for the 4x4 Direct one - it falls into the trench at some points). If that is the case, the universal rail from Front Runner might just do the trick (waiting for them to get back to me regarding the width measurements). Alternatively, I will need to see if I can heat and bend the 4x4 Direct to follow the outward curve (the bend you had to perform is the easier part).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,949
    Thanked: 306

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    Quote Originally Posted by danillp View Post
    Interesting. Thank you for the feedback Dave. Similar to HughMitchell, I was also looking for the replacement roof rails to fit a custom roof rack that I bought, but Front Runner doesnít sell these separately.

    Iíve noted that the GV has a very odd shaped roof in the sense that curves upwards and outwards which makes it difficult to fit universal rails, such as the one 4x4 Direct sells. I was planning on making my own load bars by using the existing rails and bolts, but that would require quite a bit of work which I would prefer to avoid if possible.

    How far out is the GV specific Front Runner rails i.e. did it fit perfectly on the outward curve of the roof as well or is it straight and wide enough to ďabsorbĒ that difference (itís not a lot IIRC, but too much for the 4x4 Direct one - it falls into the trench at some points). If that is the case, the universal rail from Front Runner might just do the trick (waiting for them to get back to me regarding the width measurements). Alternatively, I will need to see if I can heat and bend the 4x4 Direct to follow the outward curve (the bend you had to perform is the easier part).
    I do believe Clinton (Cruzer244) bought the standard rails from 4x4direct and made it work for his GV ... maybe he will let us know how

    Suzi Blue 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Air Lift 1000 60902 Kit, 16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres
    Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates, Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    Metalian Genie Trailer

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Grand Vitara (GV) Roof Tracks for Load Bars

    Thanks for the answers. So it is possible to get the GV roof tracks from FR (product code: TRSV001). Looks like only a small amount of drilling and then using the original mounts. Safari Center at N1 City being the best place to fit them. They're supposedly fit the roof shape properly. Time will tell! Will eventually order them and get them fitted.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •