Thread: Climb Angle

Default Climb Angle

What do you consider a steep angle to climb on loose terrain with no steps? I did a 34 metre climb last weekend, it felt like 45deg +. Today I analysed the data from my GPS and was disappointed to see the difference in altitude was only 20 meters giving a 30deg angle. It was definitely not a walk in the park and the absence of diff locks didn't help.
    Last edited by Martin JB; 2021/10/16 at 06:16 PM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Climb Angle

Quote Originally Posted by Martin JB View Post
    What do you consider a steep angle to climb on loose terrain with no steps? I did a 34 metre climb last weekend, it felt like 45deg +. Today I analysed the data from my GPS and was disappointed to see the difference in altitude was only 20 meters giving a 30deg angle. It was definitely not a walk in the park and the absence of diff locks didn't help.
    Angles are deceiving and often not as great as we think.

But 30deg is steep.

What Ice pick said, you often misjudge the angle and always over estimate it.

I doubt you'll be able to crawl up an angle of more than about 12 degrees unless you have a solid surface.

To give you an example of how people misjudge angles. What do you think the angle is at which an airplane approaches and airfield (standard approach by the book or on the instrument landing glide-path)? Well it is only 3 degrees. Looks a lot steeper doesn't it?

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Talking Re: Climb Angle

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    What Ice pick said, you often misjudge the angle and always over estimate it.

I doubt you'll be able to crawl up an angle of more than about 12 degrees unless you have a solid surface.

To give you an example of how people misjudge angles. What do you think the angle is at which an airplane approaches and airfield (standard approach by the book or on the instrument landing glide-path)? Well it is only 3 degrees. Looks a lot steeper doesn't it?

C
    I am no aviator but my senses tell me any positive angle can create lift while descending. Problem is my car has no wings and I underestimated my momentum going uphill. I am just so used to the the donkey doing it at idle that once in a while I disappoint myself. Every time this happens I navigate the diff lock pages on internet and after the prices sink in I realise I don't need it. Maybe defeat once in a while is good for the soul.

Gerotek has some nice gradients that give you an good idea of just how steep 35deg is.

They have increments, the steepest being 45deg but that is stepped and only for tracked vehicles.
    The second is 35deg.

We used to have a lot of fun riding up and down the 35deg on our motorbikes while giving rider training.
    You have to hit the 35deg with a bit of speed as we don't have the slow crawling ability of a 4x4 going up.

The rebound on the front shock can also give you a bit of a wheelie going up under power.

Going down is much easier obviously.