View Poll Results: P series or Hilux

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • New P Series

74 39.78%
  • Used Hilux

112 60.22%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: New GWM P Series or Used Hilux?

I bought a new Gwm Steed in 2011 as a workshop bakkie and a new Hilux 3.0 D4d D/cab 4x4 for myself at the same time.

I think I paid R113k for the Gwm and about R390k for the Hilux.

I didn’t worry much about the Gwm, everyone drove it and I didn’t even care to take it to the dealers for a service. I think we serviced it at 50k km and again at 100k km, I sold it to my brother at about 150k km and his mechanics used it for a good few years before he sold it. It gave absolutely no problems.
    Hard to admit, but it really impressed me considering the abuse, lack of maintenance etc. it went through.

My Hilux, had a clutch shudder, new clutch under warranty, gearbox whine in 2nd gear, Toyota had the gearbox overhauled after a huge fight. Just for the whine to be back after 18k km. They refused to repair it again and told me “it’s normal”. I decided to walk away and sold it with 90k km on the clock.

But for some reason, I’ll rather drive a used Hilux than a new Gwm. Maybe I’m just to image conscious.

There’s definitely a V8 Cruiser pickup on the horizon, although my previous experience with Toyota wasn’t the best. I drove around yesterday with a client in her brand new Cruiser and it just feels like go anywhere do anything. I want one...

I must say, look like the P-series sells like soetkoek, I travel a lot and every time I go somewhere, I see the P-series on the road, a lot more than the new Navara.
    Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2021/10/16 at 08:11 PM.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Your honesty is refreshing
    Ranger Wildtrak
    Ex Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamtheman For This Useful Post:

For what it is worth.

Spent the day with my daughter and family.

They run an electrical business, pretty high end, not your typical boy and bakkie.

So he changed and invested in the new P Series when it came out. well so new that the used his van as the proto to develop the new range of contractors canopies for the bakkie.

As we were leaving I asked him, "so boet, how is the Chinese Chariot panning out". Answer, best thing he has ever done.

This from somebody who has used and abused probably most of the main suspects on the market.

-----------

So no, the suspension may not be as refined as a Ranger, or tenacious as a Toyota, or as pretty as a Prado, invincible as an Isuzu, but for the price it seems to have a place in the parking lot worth waking up and looking at.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    During the 60,s when Toyota made a move on Africa , we farmed in the EC....I was 8 years old...... I clearly remember my farther chastising our neighbour for buying jap crap ..... stay with ford or chevy ......And now look at the history....... GWM is going the same way....... the P series will do anything the JAP bakkie does.....more importantly ...... they are determined to do it properly with solid support ...they have been hear a while already ..... I know a few guys with Steeds and they have had some issues ...and all sorted......

Look at Mahindra...... doing exceptionally well ......

Look at Foton.... ....good vehicle , pathetic support.

Price will push me to the GWM P series ....
    Or even the ugly but reliable Mahindra scorpio
    Go,look at the prices of Mahindra scorpio bakkies ...

Its about the backup !
    Yes I can recall the same conversations about Jap Crap. Close friend of my Dad bought a Toyotpet bakkie at that time and it were the talk of the town. People predicted it won`t last long. How ever it soldiered on for many years and later became his farm bakkie.
    I think the difference between the Jap vehicles of the 60`s and the first Chinese vehicles like GWM is quality.
    The Japs came into the market and immediately made name with reliability and quality.

When the Chinese came the soon had a reputation of cheap unreliable vehicles. To fix that reputation is not going to be easy.
    Hope they got it right with the P series only time will tell.
    Last edited by grips; 2021/10/17 at 06:04 AM.

Ek rate nie n bakkie volgens sy leeftyd in n myn nie. Ek ken persoonlik een ou (wie se familie) myne besit, maar ek twyfel of hy juis bakkies koop vir homself om in hul myne rond te ry. Ek self was nog nooit op die myne, behalwe GRC, en daar het ons met sulke fake outydse karre rond gery.

So op die plaas. Waar ek my tyd spandeur, sal ek kyk na wat het langste waarborg, en na bak sterkte. Ek hoop die hilux het al hul bakke se wande versterk, want ons sukkel redelik met dun en sub standaard bakke, veral oor agterwiel arch, wasr hulle buig.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Nissans sal em so ver as moontlik weg bly ban enige plek waar nissan sa betrokke is. Net nie moeite werd nie.

Default New GWM P Series or Used Hilux?

I was sitting with this exact scenario just a couple months ago.

My 2009 Ranger got written off. I just spent money on an ECU upgrade and new suspension. Was hoping to drive if for another 5 to 10 years.

Went to the Toyota garage and they had a new one for $72k. Went to Ford garage and had a nice new one for $68k

I dont really have the money, but I was keen to buy a ute and keep it for 20 years again. The Toyota almost became mine.

All the wile I was driving a P-Series (Cannon) which the government borrowed me as the accident was not my fault.

Did a bit of research on the P-Series.

Long story short, if I had the money and wanted a ute which I know I can probably drive for 20 years, then the Toyota Hilux gets my vote.

But, with 7 year warranty and unlimited kilometers for the P-Series at $34k (HALF THE PRICE) it was an easy buy.

All the P-Series has to do, is last the 6 or 7 years till I can sell it and perhaps then have the financial ability to buy Toyota Hilux. Hopefully by then the Hilux would have caught up with the safety features and luxury items the P-Series have now.

Last edited by jdjoubert; 2021/10/18 at 12:56 AM.
    Dit Reent.... n Kraai Knetter.... Erens Poep n Vark.....

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jdjoubert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    That will be a totally unfair fight. You don't bring a gun/Pajero to a knife/P-Serier/Hilux fight.

Where's the roll eye emoji?

Relax! It is a running joke on Community.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    The P will probably do fine and last well if used as a city car and many say that's what the majority of DC bakkies anyway gets used for these days.

I however want to see a P after it has done 50k km, 100k km of gravel road. It doesn't even have to work hard, it can even be a farmers wife's car who has 20 km or so of gravel road from the farm to the tar every day.

I travel 15kms a day on a gravel road to the tar with a Steed Xscape VGT, bought secondhand. It has 100,000kms on the clock and is still going perfectly. It also serves as our vacation car in January where we travel at least 3,000kms. Never let us down. I suppose if you service it when you have to, it will last a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Relax! It is a running joke on Community.
    Ek weet!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

So my vote goes for the Poer.

I had 2 Rangers T6 & the T7. Both of them a few KM out of warranty T6 turbo and then the T7 at 130k KM the motor blew.

so after I got the bakkie back after being at Ford for a month.

I traded it in on the P series. I have had it for less than month done 2000km and am happy as a pig in the brown stuff.

I went for the commercial DLX 4x4. 8 speed auto

these vehicles are basically fancy SUV’s with the ability to load a ton.

all I can say is test drive it and compare apples to apples. And for R250k less when you do compare apples to apples.

hope this helps you a bit. In my opinion you can’t buy a bad car these days it all comes down to personal feeling. If you recall when Kia and Hyhundia came to the county they also did the same thing to make name and get popular. Now look at them.
    Last edited by Goatus; 2021/10/18 at 07:40 AM.
    GWM P-Series DLX 4X4
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goatus For This Useful Post:

Gelukkig is ek in die posisie om n tweedehandse 40 jaar oue safari stasiewa en bakkie te kon gekoop het. Beide vir meer as 5 jaar al. Sonder probleme wat ek nir self kon uitsort. As ek lesotho toe wil ry, kan ek net in klim, en selfs die pas daar doen. Enige 4x4 roete kan sy ergste gooi vir my. El gebruik hulle vir my dailies. Ek hoef nie te worry oor taxis, hulle vermy my.
    Whenever ek met Bakkie of stasiewa ry, voel dit soos vakansie.

Beide kan 1.3-1.6 ton laai. En gemaklik ry daarmee. Beide speel met. Kar trailer met n kar op.
    Hulle is dalk nie ligste op branfstof, maar totale koste per km is baie minder as enige van nuwe voertuie wat 10km/liter kry.

Ek was nog nooit in n poer, maar twyfel of ek ooit die roetes wat ek gereeld doen, ooit wil probeer met hom.

https://youtu.be/PKSiUY62xI0

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtheman View Post
    Honestly how many double cabs do 50k of gravel travel , or spend there life on a mine in the northern cape? I'm betting 90% of hilux's and others never see dirt road or mine use.
    Agreed, if I look out the window at the work parking lot there are 3 Rangers, 2 new Hilux's, 2 new Fortuners, a D40 Nav, a Scorpio and a D4d Hilux, the Scorpio and 1 Fortuner get taken to fishing spots, the rest never leave the tar...
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

I am sure the P series will compete much better then the first GWM we got here. We bought one, was better on fuel then the hilux's, but for the rest no competition. It was abandoned at 100k km.

Caterpillar and Honda machines for example are made by the Chinees, so don't see a reason that they can't make a good car . I got 2 small Chinese tractors, mechanical no issues, body parts lost long time ago, but they are still working!

90% of the vehicles I saw in Quanzhou were either Japanese or Korean, so they still don't trust their own cars, but that was a few years back.
    Construction and agriculture machines you only see Chinese there.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/10/18 at 02:24 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Everbody is concentrating on the big difference between the Hilux and Poer in price. The entry level Poer definately will not have all the extra's the top model have. So have a look at the entry level Hilux and see the difference in price is less than R 100 000 on retail. I were offered 5% discount on a 2.8 just now so I believe you will get discount on a 2.4 as well and then you have a new vehicle with 9 services or 90 000km service plan as well and zero k's on the clock except if you want a lot of bells and whistles.

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2021 Bushlapa Kewer 2480

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    I voted P series , trouble free for 5 years and free to service till 100k or 5 years and the added 2 years (not sure what that covers )
    Trouble free? I'm not saying the P-Series or GWM after sales will give a customers hassles, but it hasn't been smooth sailing for a lot of customers especially those with Rangers and extended maintenance/warranty plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie84 View Post
    Trouble free? I'm not saying the P-Series or GWM after sales will give a customers hassles, but it hasn't been smooth sailing for a lot of customers especially those with Rangers and extended maintenance/warranty plans.

Hennie if you mis the topic itís goes about the P series and Hilux.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjo View Post
    Hennie if you mis the topic itís goes about the P series and Hilux.
    Not at all. To say a P-Series will be trouble free just because it has a 7 year warranty or is brand new has not been proven as of yet. Hence why I made reference to the Ranger when comparing the warranty.

Not exactly on topic , but ......... I have not financed a vehicle since I was 30 years old, and I have had a few bakkies in the past 30 years .... And only bought second hand , the financial loss on a new vehicle is just to big ..... Even if you get your cash back you loose so I err on the side of financial sense .

In 2010 I purchased a Mahindra Scorpio for R180k (NEW) and sold it a few years later for R90k a drop of 50%..... .... A GOOD !! mate of mine bought a brand new "equivalent" Jap bakkie , he only lost 31% (similar period) after trading it in on a R550k vehicle ......his 31% was R124k ........? His insurance was almost double mine .......

What would you choose ..... an terrible drop of 50% or 30% or a drop in Value of R90k or R124k ?

( This is not even taking into account the accumulated interest lost )

(Reliability was paramount in my previous business)
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 2021/10/18 at 05:16 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Not exactly on topic , but ......... I have not financed a vehicle since I was 30 years old, and I have had a few bukkies in the past 30 years .... And only bought second hand , the financial loss on a new vehicle is just to big ..... Even if you get your cash back you loose so I err on the side of financial sense .

In 2010 I purchased a Mahindra Scorpio for R180k (NEW) and sold it a few years later for R90k a drop of 50%..... .... A GOOD !! mate of mine bought a brand new "equivalent" Jap bakkie , he only lost 31% (similar period) after trading it in on a R550k vehicle ......his 31% was R124k ........? His insurance was almost double mine .......

What would you choose ..... an terrible drop of 50% or 30% or a drop in Value of R90k or R124k ?

(Reliability was paramount in my previous business)
    Depends on what you buy

I had a touareg that was paid off. It wasn't terribly unreliable but it was old and needed some maintenance. Problem is, parts were expensive.

The last year of my paid off touareg, cost me more than I paid for a financed second hand pajero in it's first year.

These discussions are moot if you don't factor in all scenarios

- how loyal is the buyer to a badge
    - where does he live in terms of dealer support
    - what mileage does he do
    - what's the intended purpose? Lifestyle, offroading, commute etc.
    - how long will he keep it
    - is he happy with the depreciation at the comfort of having a warranty and service plan
    - is it a tax write off
    - etc
    - etc.

There are many factors. For some the new P-series make perfect sense for their needs. For others it doesn't. And for some, they don't even have that option.

If I had a billion dollar in the bank and a gun is held to my head, I'd take the new P-series over the second hand Lux. Why? Because I want to feel what it feels like to own a brand new car. Simple as that.
    1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD : 2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
    2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD : 2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D
    My YouTube channel
    Touareg Manuals Google Drive Folder : Pajero Manuals Google Drive Folder
    The clever ones are being outbred & overruled by the not so clever ones. Pair that with unchecked selfishness. We are heading for a fall!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast