Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    913
    Thanked: 357

    Default SAPS vehicle clearance

    Anyone done the SAPS vehicle clearance run in CT? I have a vehicle with no engine number (got machined off by genius engine rebuilders).
    I've the got RPC from traffic dept, a letter from the engine rebuilders, and had the vehicle datadotted.
    I thought I had to go from to Stikland but now I hear I must go to Bellville South (As I'm from S Suburbs) but I can't find it on the map unless its the same place as the vehicle storage area.
    Any tips and tales of what I can expect appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,466
    Thanked: 5987

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    An ADE engine by any chance?
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    913
    Thanked: 357

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    An ADE engine by any chance?
    What? No. Its an LR V8. It did have a number before the machinist skimmed the block a little too enthusiastically.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town, Plumstead/The Sea/Franskraal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,572
    Thanked: 878

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    Quote Originally Posted by AncientGeek View Post
    .. but now I hear I must go to Bellville South (As I'm from S Suburbs) but I can't find it on the map unless its the same place as the vehicle storage area.
    Any tips and tales of what I can expect appreciated.
    It is the same place, in Stikland.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to ZuluCowboy For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    516
    Thanked: 438

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    Quote Originally Posted by AncientGeek View Post
    Anyone done the SAPS vehicle clearance run in CT? I have a vehicle with no engine number (got machined off by genius engine rebuilders).
    I've the got RPC from traffic dept, a letter from the engine rebuilders, and had the vehicle datadotted.
    I thought I had to go from to Stikland but now I hear I must go to Bellville South (As I'm from S Suburbs) but I can't find it on the map unless its the same place as the vehicle storage area.
    Any tips and tales of what I can expect appreciated.
    In 2020 I was able to get clearance here there, address: 5 Osborne St, Belleville South. Are you getting clearance to export or to travel to Zambia? I wrote a post on my experience here, post No. 12: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/322213-SAPS-Vehicle-Clearance-Certificate-Centres?p=4339304#post4339304

    I went to Stikland and they wanted nothing to do with it.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    913
    Thanked: 357

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    In 2020 I was able to get clearance here there, address: 5 Osborne St, Belleville South. Are you getting clearance to export or to travel to Zambia? I wrote a post on my experience here, post No. 12: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/322213-SAPS-Vehicle-Clearance-Certificate-Centres?p=4339304#post4339304
    .
    Thanks that post is really useful. I just need to get a new engine number stamped. I expect some extra cost will be involved.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Knysna
    Age
    54
    Posts
    538
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    Be patient they have there own time, Best is to go very early in the morning, if you are not in the building by 14h00
    they will not help you and have to go back. Maybe also phone before the time what are required from you otherwise they will sent you away. Full of ####, believe me.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    cape Town - 0624206806
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,533
    Thanked: 565

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    I was there last month with an engine..... found out that as a “pensioner”, I didn’t have to stand in the queue outside - went straight to the front.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    913
    Thanked: 357

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    Traumatic experience.. the individual policemen were helpful enough but the paperwork and the waiting... they etched where my old engine number was and were happy it was the same engine. Then I had to get new number, hey sent me to the other Stikland SAPS yard where no-one knew what I was talking about. Eventually turned out I had to go a private company near the yard. They fix radiators and fuel tanks, so it should have been obvious.

    In a dingy smelly workshop they punched the number using 1920's technology. Or did they? I checked it before paying and they inverted the the 9 to 6! They then tried to fix it and made a horrible mess. But SAPS accepted it (probably just to get rid of me). I would have been better off illegally punching the original number back.

    I don't even remember driving home.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to AncientGeek For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    somerset west
    Age
    41
    Posts
    46
    Thanked: 34

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    Quote Originally Posted by AncientGeek View Post
    Traumatic experience.. the individual policemen were helpful enough but the paperwork and the waiting... they etched where my old engine number was and were happy it was the same engine. Then I had to get new number, hey sent me to the other Stikland SAPS yard where no-one knew what I was talking about. Eventually turned out I had to go a private company near the yard. They fix radiators and fuel tanks, so it should have been obvious.

    In a dingy smelly workshop they punched the number using 1920's technology. Or did they? I checked it before paying and they inverted the the 9 to 6! They then tried to fix it and made a horrible mess. But SAPS accepted it (probably just to get rid of me). I would have been better off illegally punching the original number back.

    I don't even remember driving home.
    sounds about right for the state of the country.

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cape Town - RSA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,019
    Thanked: 541

    Default Re: SAPS vehicle clearance

    Yip

    8/10 it's easier and better doing it illegally.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •