Default Correct way to connect my fridge in trailer?

Hi,

I need some help please. As the proud owner of my 1st camping trailer (bought 2nd hand) I'm standing here rather puzzled how to connect the fridge.

Question: Do I connect the fridge straight to the battery or does it have to go through the power panel?

It is an Echo 6 with the MK2 power panel.
    Previous owner connected his Nat Luna straight to the battery using a makeshift cable. No fuse at positive terminal, nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Correct way to connect my fridge in trailer?

I assume it's the power panel built by HCDP. I took a quick look at its specs and it looks like it has no DC outputs.

You'll have to wire the fridge directly to the battery then, with a inline fuse on the positive of course.
    Do you have any other 12V equipment in the trailer like lights or water pumps and how are they wired, are they directly to the battery and do they have fuses?
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Hi Bigboy,

I can only see 2 x DC outputs on the power panel itself. One is for lights and the other for the waterpump. There is a 12v master switch next to them.
    Last edited by Indabelly; 2021/10/13 at 02:03 PM.

My fridge is connected to the 12v outlet, switch on the L/H side top.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TwinDisco For This Useful Post:

12v outputs on base of mk6 unit

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

Thank you.

After reading your posts I managed to squeeze into the trailer and notice the "7A fridge ouput" on top of the power panel.
    Now just need to trace the wiring and see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Indabelly View Post
    Thank you.

After reading your posts I managed to squeeze into the trailer and notice the "7A fridge ouput" on top of the power panel.
    Sounds like me, when getting a new trailer I like going threw everything to see and understand how all the electrics is laid out.
    It's actually a very good thing, should something go wrong you know where to start trouble shooting and have a good chance of finding the fault yourself.

Many people don't know where the fuses sit in their electrical system or whether the system even have fuses.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Sounds like me, when getting a new trailer I like going threw everything to see and understand how all the electrics is laid out.
    It's actually a very good thing, should something go wrong you know where to start trouble shooting and have a good chance of finding the fault yourself.

Many people don't know where the fuses sit in their electrical system or whether the system even have fuses.
    One can also pick up on some frightening wiring practices. Who ever did the wiring in my trailer had no concept of positive & negative, black and red cables are used interchangeably depending on which was closest at hand

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    One can also pick up on some frightening wiring practices. Who ever did the wiring in my trailer had no concept of positive & negative, black and red cables are used interchangeably depending on which was closest at hand

That will seriously mess with my OCD.

Years back my grandparents had a caravan with only black wiring, doing anything on that electrical system was super frustrating. One day my grandfather decided enough is enough so he rewired the whole thing, the cable he had on hand was yellow and blue, but at least you could tell positive from negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Indabelly View Post
    Thank you.

When you get to the other end just ensure it has a decent Brad Harrison (BH) plug on it. If your fridge has a cigarette lighter socket on the power cable, cut it off and use a Brad Harrison plug (or if you prefer buy another power cable and add the BH plug to that).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamF For This Useful Post: