Default Pre-Booking Bots camp sites

Hello Overlanders,
    Advice please for a first time overlander to Bots?
    I plan to do (2 trips) to Bots next winter - in June to CKGR and in Aug/Sep to the Pans and beyond. I prefer to pre-book camp sites and accommodation and have certainty of availability.
    My question is: When should I have finalised and book the accommodation by typically - is it 3/6/9 months in advance?

I realise the general nature of the question so answers in same fashion is appreciated..

TIA!

Default Re: Pre-Booking Bots camp sites

To get a reasonable choice of campsites and dates, you should have already started for that period. May/June to August/September is prime tourist season under normal circumstances. CKGR does not have that many campsites and 3 or 4 of them are absolute prime campsites always in high demand.

You can book 11 months ahead.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/10/13 at 09:35 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

I have just booked a trip for June/July next year and many campsites were already full to the point that I was on to my 4th alternatives before getting a booking.

If you want to have the best chance of securing the specific camps you desire, then booking 11 months in advance gives you the best chance of achieving that.
    You can always try your luck closer to the time of your trip but then unfortunately, you have to take what you can get.

So many of the camps in Bots are crazy popular so it pays to plan ahead and set reminders as to when the bookings open.

We booked for CKGR next year March and did so as soon as the bookings opened. Even so, we still did not secure one of the camps we wanted to stay at.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Metalian Maxi

Many thanks for the feedback everyone.

Hi, let [email protected] do the hard work for you, they provide excellent service. They arrange all my trips in detail and can advise you on all your queries about such a trip - meat, fuel, water, covid stuff, borders, travel times etc, based on your vehicle, travel mates and requirements.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Good advice from others, and this is what one hears in general. However...

For our last trip to Botswana, now several years ago (May and June 2017), following the advice to make reservations we booked campsites in CKGR, Moremi, and Chobe (as well as other places) several months ahead (January/February) and were able to book what we wanted, with one exception in Moremi.

When we arrived in Maun immediately prior to entering Moremi we went to SKL to seek a site for the "missing night" and found that there was availabilty not only for the night in question - in fact we could actually change any of the bookings we had made if we wanted to. When we arrived at every one of the campsites at which we stayed in Botswana, during a month, there was always space available.

I agree that it's a good plan to make reservations, and this certainly ensures availability, however our experience was that sites were available when we arrived everywhere in Botswana. Obviously the situation may be different now, taking into account the impact of the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by alannymarce View Post
    Good advice from others, and this is what one hears in general. However...

For our last trip to Botswana, now several years ago (May and June 2017), following the advice to make reservations we booked campsites in CKGR, Moremi, and Chobe (as well as other places) several months ahead (January/February) and were able to book what we wanted, with one exception in Moremi.

When we arrived in Maun immediately prior to entering Moremi we went to SKL to seek a site for the "missing night" and found that there was availabilty not only for the night in question - in fact we could actually change any of the bookings we had made if we wanted to. When we arrived at every one of the campsites at which we stayed in Botswana, during a month, there was always space available.

I agree that it's a good plan to make reservations, and this certainly ensures availability, however our experience was that sites were available when we arrived everywhere in Botswana. Obviously the situation may be different now, taking into account the impact of the pandemic.
    There are many reason that campsites might be empty:
    1) Last minute cancellations and couldn't sell the campsite again.
    2) Travellers having to cut short their trip due to unforseen reasons
    3) Travel Agents that had booked that site, planning to sell it and could find clients.
    and many other reasons.

BUT this time its different. If you try and book CKGR now, the DWNP system indicates that its fully booked for KORI and Deception Valley. This is due to deferred bookings from last year. Some travellers due to high costs and restrictions, decided to just abondon the bookings and not come, hence when you go to Deception Valley and Kori now, you will find sites empty BUT the system saying fully booked.

Im someone who likes peace of mind and I dont like uncertainty hence just book sites that i like. So, my advise would be, book for peace of mind and worry less about campsite. Have you seen how camp squarters behave when you finally arrive at camp. They are either arrogant or bully to distract, knowing that they took the campsite that isnt theirs. And they hate moving......

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post: