Default Considering a Touareg

Hi everyone I am new to the community and would like to hear from you please. I know there is lots of knowledge on this group. I would love to own a Touareg and there is one that I'm looking at. Its a 2007 v6 tdi with about 260000km for R110k. Is this a good price and what must I look for when checking the car. Appreciate your time thanks.

Default Re: Considering a Touareg

Quote Originally Posted by Jakes1989 View Post
    Hi everyone I am new to the community and would like to hear from you please. I know there is lots of knowledge on this group. I would love to own a Touareg and there is one that I'm looking at. Its a 2007 v6 tdi with about 260000km for R110k. Is this a good price and what must I look for when checking the car. Appreciate your time thanks.
    unless its in REALLY good condition and fully spec'd (centre and read diff locks etc) its overpriced.

Known issues:
    Propshaft carrier, almost certainly already replaced at that km
    Turbo actuator - can cause MIL light to come on and car to go into limp mode
    Injectors - if not already replaced they are most likely close to needing it. Watch out for smoke on startup and under acceleration
    Gearboxes can start giving hard shifts, this can be a cheap or very expensive fix

First port of call is to get it scanned with VCDS and specifically looking at the injector blocks to identify injector health and take it from there

These are fantastic cars but not for the faint hearted, if you need to replace the turbo and injectors soon you are looking at a R40k-R50k bill

if you dont mind the drive Stephan in Petit on the East Rand is a master on these vehicles.
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/10/12 at 11:37 AM.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jakes1989 View Post
    Where to start?

It can be a can of worms. Any old vehicle can, a Treg can be expensive to maintain due to parts availability and lack of knowledge on them. How much are you prepared to DIY? What features does the one you are looking at have? What do you want to use it for?

If the one you are looking at has been meticulously looked after, then she is good for another 200k km's, if not then there are many many things to catch up on. You need to tell us more about that vehicle before we can help you.

At that mileage and age all diff oils, atf oil, ancillary, hpfp belts should have been replaced twice. Most suspension bushings should be replaced already. If air suspension front bellows are becoming due. Centre prop-shaft carrier bearing has been or needs a fix. Is it EGR blanked? Turbo actuator could be a future concern, if not happened already. Intake runner control flaps - can be coded out. Injectors, - the BKS's as this one will be had some dud injectors...

So it depends... Good idea to take it to someone like Stephan van Tonder in Benoni or Tim Legge in Randburg.
    2007 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (Facelift, Air, Rear Diff Lock, Rear Mounted Spare)
    2008 Audi A4 B8 2.0 TDI (Multitronic)
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure (Weekend Fun)
    2012 Imagine Trailvan 4-Sleeper
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post:

@Jakes1989 hit and run?
    * consumption needs to be seen in the context that the vehicle is towing an Imagine Trailvan 30% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kortgat View Post
    @Jakes1989 hit and run?
    I think he had a heart attack at how expensive these cars are to run.
    RIP OP
    Last edited by Graham; 2021/10/14 at 06:31 PM.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I think he had a heart attack at how expensive these cars are to run.
    RIP OP
    Not so bad if you look after it and stay on top of issues. Mine is immaculate and costs me about 2k a month all inclusive of maintenance and repairs. That includes tyres. I DIY many things though.

Buying one that is already high mileage and a bit neglected is another story. You pay dearly for the possible neglect.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kortgat For This Useful Post: