Default Need help with my Gazebo

Hey guys,

So I've got a Senior Gazebo by Tentco, and for the most part the quality is great. But one thing is infuriating me, and I think the same would apply to most gazebos.
    Maybe one of you have some helpful hints.

The plastic pole connectors are very tight, making it very difficult to get the poles in far enough, and when they are pushed in far (banging against the ground or using a mallet), they're near impossible to pull out again.
    Is there some easy way to do this? Ive put it up a few times, and either its wonky because some poles are in further than others, or its fine, but then I end up with blisters trying to pull them out.

Should I attempt to sand down the insides of the connectors? I'm a bit against this as if I sand too much theirs no going back and they could end up too loose. Otherwise maybe some sort of lubricant or baby powder?

It surely cant be just me with this problem.
    ./______________________\
    |___________(.)__________|
    {___---"\_FORTUNER_/"---___}
    |........................................|
    [_2.8 GD-6____________.4x4_]
    .\______________________/
    ..||||||______________||||||
    _|___|______________|___|__

Default Re: Need help with my Gazebo

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    Hey guys,

So I've got a Senior Gazebo by Tentco, and for the most part the quality is great. But one thing is infuriating me, and I think the same would apply to most gazebos.
    Maybe one of you have some helpful hints.

The plastic pole connectors are very tight, making it very difficult to get the poles in far enough, and when they are pushed in far (banging against the ground or using a mallet), they're near impossible to pull out again.
    Is there some easy way to do this? Ive put it up a few times, and either its wonky because some poles are in further than others, or its fine, but then I end up with blisters trying to pull them out.

Should I attempt to sand down the insides of the connectors? I'm a bit against this as if I sand too much theirs no going back and they could end up too loose. Otherwise maybe some sort of lubricant or baby powder?

I helped someone put up and later strike his brand new Senior gazebo a few weeks ago and didn't experience this at all. Everything went in with a firm hand and came out again with a firm hand as I expected it to on a good quality well designed product.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

I am not sure why Tentco has changed from the metal ones to the plastic ones. I was told by a supplier that the plastic ones are easier to break than the metal ones?
    Maybe they are lighter or cheaper to manufacture?

Inspect the insides of the connectors to see if there are any molding imperfections and then remove those. Even a small imperfection may cause huge problems.

And do try a lubricant, such as silicone or PFT spray. Wipe off any excess to prevent dust accumulation

Let us know of the outcome, please..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    I am not sure why Tentco has changed from the metal ones to the plastic ones. I was told by a supplier that the plastic ones are easier to break than the metal ones?

Inspect the insides of the connectors to see if there are any molding imperfections and then remove those. Even a small imperfection may cause huge problems.

And do try a lubricant, such as silicone or PFT spray. Wipe off any excess to prevent dust accumulation

These plastic ones seem pretty durable. Very solid, doubt they will break easily. Probably just cheaper to manufacture. I dont have experience with the metal ones though, so I've got nothing to compare them too.
    Thanks for the advice. I have some silicone spray, so I'll try that out and also inspect for imperfections.

They are cheaper and Tentco told me they are stronger.
    Are they plastic or fibreglass?

One disadvantage is that they are not compatible with the old poles
    For those with the previous metal if you break or lose a part you may
    have to order a new pole set. (R1 200+/-).
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/10/11 at 09:01 PM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

One of the resellers told me they are more fragile than the steel ones. That is relative.
    You can buy the connectors separately feom Tento and ODWH

We still have the old Tenco Senior Gazebo with the steel corner connectors for work purposes.

It is a mission to put the frame together especially if you are one person alone. The poles easily fall out of the steel connectors while trying to get the frame together. Very frustrating.

The new plastic connectors apparently does not have this problem, and I think perhaps the reason for changing. Also I think another reason is that the plastic connectors are cheaper to manufacture.

Maybe heat them up with hot water or heat gun and gently wiggle them a little looser and then let them set.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Can only assume these are moulded fittings. It is common for moulded plastic parts to have a protruding line where the parts of the mould come together. It may be very small and not seem like much, but could be enough to be the cause of the problem. Maybe have a look and then only sand down the parting lines.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CvdN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    Not so sure..... I have one, and I know 2 other people who have one, no issues. Maybe a bad batch of plastic connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post

Well I did a very light sanding inside the connectors, and applied some silicone spray. It was actually a pretty good success for the most part. Much easier fitting it all together, and now everything lined up correctly.
    Upon taking it down, however, I was left with about 4 poles that required a knock or two with a mallet. I struggled with these before attempting the mallet, but the rest popped out no problem.

Its a bit strange that others have no problem at all. Maybe I got a dud batch or something. Either way, I feel better about using this out in the bush now.
    Last edited by LukeHawk; 2021/10/24 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Figured it out with a mallet

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LukeHawk For This Useful Post: