Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: First-time Bakkie Buying Advice (Navara vs Hardbody and anything else?)

Quote Originally Posted by thabogrobler View Post
    On petrol engines: 4 cylinders and V6's have the same bad drinking habits. You only arrive way earlier and more relaxed in a V6.
    Diesels selfde.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Default Re: First-time Bakkie Buying Advice (Navara vs Hardbody and anything else?)

Jy gaan nie maklik n Toyota kry vir daai geld nie. Triton is baie nice. Het n vriend wat een ry en hy is al vir 4 jaar gelukkig. Isuzu is ook waarde vir geld. Die np300 is ook nie te sleg nie. Net sy ncap rating is swak. Enjin is puik.
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I'm wondering if you Mitshu guys actually sit and wait for threads like these? It is freaking hilarious!
    Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2021/10/13 at 05:21 AM.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I'm wondering if you Mitshu guys actually sit and wait for threads like these? It is freaking hilarious!
    Some vehicles just fits the budget better.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

NP300 not bad. I have one. NP300 4x4 DC. Now on 35000km. No problems at all. Does what it have to do. Look also at triton isuzu navara Steed 5. If you are going for a toyoya you are going to get an old with very high km and it might be only a 2.5 which is realy slow. Only 75kW

I wouldn’t recommend a D40 as a hard-working vehicle. I had two of them. I put 300k+km on one and 294k on the other. Almost all of that mileage was on motorway and tarmac, and I baby my vehicles but the Navaras needed constant maintenance. Ball joints, bearings, prop-shafts… I’d hate to think how much work they’d need if I had been driving them on gravel roads or using them as heavy work vehicles. In our wet climate here in Ireland, the transfer box switches needed to be replaced about once a year due to water-ingress. If you’re doing water-crossings, I’d imagine the problem would be worse.

I loved them when I had them because they were comfortable and enjoyable to drive but it was only after I got my first Ranger that I realised how much maintenance the Navaras needed.
    Last edited by tadhgocuilleain; 2021/10/13 at 09:20 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tadhgocuilleain For This Useful Post:

Based on your requirements, I think an NP300 will do nicely.
    Just double check the fuel consumption, I think theyre a little on the high side, BUT, I have a theory that the thirsty nissan engines will last forever and ever (think patrols, 1400s, etc etc)

I wouldnt look at the navara, nice bakkie, but seems to be slightly more than most to maintain.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by MurphyDrew View Post
    Hi everyone.
    Massive fan of the forums and looking forward to your thoughts on this.

I'm looking to get a Double Cab Bakkie in the next 12-18 months.

I'd like to spend LESS than R200k. As its my first bakkie it doesn't have to be the best, I'm sure I'll upgrade later. My questions are in red

What I'll use it for:
    • Lugging recycling and garden waste to dump (Often)
    • Weekend camping trips (with a trailer) (few times a year)
    • Carting dogs and kids bikes etc to parks/beach etc (often)

Things that ARE important to me:
    • Fuel consumption (No V6's asseblief)
    • Maintenance costs/issues.
    • Longevity as I'll likely be buying an older car (Buying a car with 300,000km maybe not)
    • Can it tow a small trailer for a family holiday
    • Price

Things that are NOT important to me:
    Styling
    Brand perception (unless backed by evidence)
    Speed

I'm happy with 4x2 to start. 4x4 will come with salary upgrades.

This is where my head is at currently:

NP300 Hardbody (2015)
    +/-R180k - 110,000km.
    It's a workhorse/slow but its no frills and does the job. Its also very affordable.
    BUT is it a death trap?
    ‚Äč
    NAVARA 2.5D (2015)
    I've read the D40's had a ton of issues so would like the first D23 if possible.
    Is the D23 available in 2015 year?
    I've also read people say the price difference between a Nav and Hardbody is minimal so just get the Nav (more comfort/long distance etc)
    Is this true?

I've looked at the Ford 2.2 but power is low, price is higher
    Isuzu's are cool but I've only seen them with very high mileage.
    Same for Hilux's. Nothing under R200k.

What are your thoughts on my Hardbody vs Navara

ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE CONSIDERING/LOOKING AT TOO?

Dankie julle!

PS: But also please reply in English

My advice is from my personal experience.

My suggestion would be Nissan NP300 2.5Tdi 4x2
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...Parow/7333468/ (this is just an example)
    Reasons:
    -Newest year model in your price bracket
    -If you are lucky you can get the remainder of Nissans 5(or 6, not sure) year/150000km warranty
    -Reliable yd25 engine (Navara D40 2.5 also has the yd25 but they're not exactly the same)
    -Suits your requirements and will complete your tasks as stated with ease
    I live in Botswana and there are 1000's of them driving around here and mostly without issues.
    Only downside is that it is tiny in the back (rear seat) and not a lot of creature comforts.
    Whether it is a death trap I don't know but I feel way too much was made of the crash test results but thats a topic for another day.

Navara
    You won't find a D23 in your price bracket
    D40's really don't have a ton of issues, when looking for one make sure it has full service history etc.
    My father is driving the second of two D40's
    1st one was a 2012 2.5 4x4 manual spain spec dc (140kw and 450nm) bought at 126000km and sold at close to 200000km without any issues
    current one is 2015 2.5 4x4 Kingcab thai spec (128kw) bought at 91000km and currently sitting at 185000km also without any major issues
    You can find some very nice D40's in your price range like https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...sburg/7498880/ just remember that all the extras might have a negative effect on fuel consumption

Can't comment on the Fords as I have no personal experience with them.
    I know of one 2014 Isuzu Kb250 Dteq 4x4 dc that belongs to an extended family member with close to 250000km without any major issues.

Other options
    Mitsu Triton - reliable ( I daily drive a 2010 3.5 V6 clubcab with 165000km and its nothing but pleasure)

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide on.
    2010 MItsubishi Triton 3.5 V6 Clubcab
    2008 BMW 325i

2012 Hilux 3.0 D4D DC 4x4 (Retired with 400 000km)
    2005 VW Golf V 2.0 fsi auto (Sold)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lvan91 For This Useful Post:

Out of personal experience I would suggest you look at a 2,0 Single turbo TDI Amarok.

I had one as my first double cab and was really impressed with it:
    -Decent power, will maintain cruise control speed on uphills with a medium load no problem.
    -Comphy, the ride quality is superb.
    -Light on fuel, went down to Plett a few years back and managed a 1000km on a single tank while driving speed limits or slightly above.
    -As for parts and cost I had it serviced at VW under service plan up untill I sold it, but I did have to replace brake pads once and had no problem finding those at a decent price.

But I do recommend you test drive your short list. If you can get the car for a few days before buying even better. I wish I had done this before getting my second double cab, a Hilux, and that was a mistake I did not enjoy that car at all.

Good luck and happy hunting
    Last edited by sjp100; 2021/10/18 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjp100 View Post
    Out of personal experience I would suggest you look at a 2,0 Single turbo TDI Amarok.

I had one as my first double cab and was really impressed with it:
    -Decent power, will maintain cruise control speed on uphills with a medium load no problem.
    -Comphy, the ride quality is superb.
    -Light on fuel, went down to Plett a few years back and managed a 1000km on a single tank while driving speed limits or slightly above.
    -As for parts and cost I had it serviced at VW under service plan up untill I sold it, but I did have to replace brake pads once and had no problem finding those at a decent price.

But I do recommend you test drive your short list. If you can get the car for a few days before buying even better. I wish I had done this before getting
    my second double cab, a Hilux, and that was a mistake I did not enjoy thacar at all.

Good luck and happy hunting
    I have both an old Hardbody NP300 and a D40 Navara
    Bought the Hardbody NP300 from new in 2004, 260k everything original except A SAC intercooler and Camil shocks, original clutch, turbo, ball joints etc, no breakdown ever, the only things replaced were radiator hoses after 150k and 10 years and the serpentine belt, I do my own services at below 10k with OEM filters, I have never had a single problem, it has towed camping trailers several times around Nam. It's a hard bakkie ride, but easy to service. An honest no frills bakkie.
    My Nav was a demo I have had it 5 years and its on 80k, everything original, no breakdowns. again I do my own services at under 10k with OEM filters, very easy to work on. The only expense on the service is the Diesel filter, it has the Spanish spec Mahe full unit filter which is R1200.

If you want honest and trustworthy Bakkie, for R200k you can get a very good NP300 which will last you many years. It was made in SA for almost 20 years so there are plenty spares, it was also popular in Nam and Bots. The 2.5 YD is bulletproof if you don't chip it (the D40 YD has a different bottom end to support 140kw) the 2.4 petrol is as heavy as a V6 on fuel, but there are numerous reports of a million km's being achieved.

Long story, but for a first bakkie, i would suggest an NP300 YD 25.
    2015 Navara 4x4 LE auto
    Camil Suspension, Long range tank, Snorkel

2004 Nissan Hardbody ZD30 4x4
    Camil suspension, Long range tank, Snorkel

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Babelaas For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2