Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 ... LastLast

Default Re: Cricket world cup 2021

There are a LOT of fair weather supporters in SA.

So many of my mates said they wont watch the boks again especially during the alistair coetzee era, but in fact for years many South Africans have been saying they are done with rugby, cricket or whatever South African sport is not doing great at that time.

Then they win the WC and beat the Lions and everyones behind them again.

The way I see it, the players give their best in spite of all the off the field shenanigans/politics and when they do well that is one of the few occasions we unite, all of us.

We need fewer fair weather supporters, always critical always complaining, and more South Africans who understand there are issues that are detrimental to our performance and that is part and parcel of the new SA, who arent only behind the team when we win.

We South Africans so often punch above our weight, the players I mean, I will always be fully behind them and be easy on them when they arent winning. We are still a proud sporting nation and the Proteas will rise again, that I believe is Fact

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kariba For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    I'm also not optimistic, but not for the same reasons. I just think we're a perennial underperformer when the pressure is on. Our coaching staff is out of their depth, they lack man management skills, a typical case of those who can do aren't necessarily able to teach. Bob Woolmer was our last good coach.

As for Miller - people keep having a go at him, perhaps because they have unreasonable expectations of one guy. His T20 stats speak for themselves, I'll have him in my team every single time, perhaps just bat him a bit higher.
    I am afraid those stats you posted show exactly why I don't rate him. In 80 innings, only 2 x 50's & 1 x ton. So you're going to say but he comes in late, sure but then why does he have an average of only 31 (coming in late means lots of not outs at the end of the innings, so that average is terrible). A strike rate of only 9 per over, for some-one who is supposed to be the big hitter making the runs at the death?

I'm sorry, he won't be in any team I select.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    I am afraid those stats you posted show exactly why I don't rate him. In 80 innings, only 2 x 50's & 1 x ton. So you're going to say but he comes in late, sure but then why does he have an average of only 31 (coming in late means lots of not outs at the end of the innings, so that average is terrible). A strike rate of only 9 per over, for some-one who is supposed to be the big hitter making the runs at the death?

C
    For interest sake would you rate Eoin Morgan as better than Miller ?

Or the other 2 players below - No serious study just names of players I thought of

Miller vs Morgan vs Smith vs Taylor

T20I

Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Avg BF SR 100s 50s 0s 4s 6s
    D Miller 2010-2021 90 80 25 1742 101* 31.67 1237 140.82 1 4 0 118 77
    E Morgan 2009-2021 107 101 19 2360 91 28.78 1707 138.25 0 14 3 179 116
    S Smith 2010-2020 45 37 8 794 90 27.37 613 129.52 0 4 1 66 21
    R Taylor 2006-2020 102 94 21 1909 63 26.15 1560 122.37 0 7 6 121 71

Sorry the table just does not want to present nicely .... eish
    Last edited by NvD42; 2021/10/14 at 07:33 PM.
    Nico van Diemen

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco

'05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    In my world, if Jelo was a cricket commentator, his name would be G'eoff Boycott
    In my world..... Never mind, I'll leave it to your imagination
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Kariba View Post

So many of my mates said they wont watch the boks again especially during the alistair coetzee era, but in fact for years many South Africans have been saying they are done with rugby, cricket or whatever South African sport is not doing great at that time.

The way I see it, the players give their best in spite of all the off the field shenanigans/politics and when they do well that is one of the few occasions we unite, all of us.

We need fewer fair weather supporters, always critical always complaining, and more South Africans who understand there are issues that are detrimental to our performance and that is part and parcel of the new SA, who arent only behind the team when we win.

We South Africans so often punch above our weight, the players I mean, I will always be fully behind them and be easy on them when they arent winning. We are still a proud sporting nation and the Proteas will rise again, that I believe is Fact
    Champions are the most consistent
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

So here's what I suspect is going on...

The most vocal of these "I don't support the South African xyz team anymore because of whatever" are actually the most passionate about South African sport. The thing is it really hurts to see us loose (and loose badly at times) when we know we should do a lot better. The reason doesn't really matter and isn't the issue, it's just part of trying to make sense of it. With the right players, coach and management we should dominate, or at least loose because the other team was better, not because we didn't put up our best performance. But it doesn't work that way and we end up disappointed. So it is easier to pretend not to care.

Then we win and we have reason to care and be excited. We have reason to love our team openly and together as South Africans. We forget the disappointment.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:

+1. You are absolutely correct, although I'm Zimbabwean born and live in Australia (most of the time), I have always identified as being a proud Bok/Protea fan. During my early childhood Zimbabweans (at the time Rhodesians) were able to play for the Boks, although arguably they had to be 50% better than a South African player to get selected, eg Ian Robertson. However I have to say that people only supporting a winning team is hardly a South African phenomena, the same happens around the world. In 2011, when the Reds won the Super Rugby title every Brisbane man and his dog supported the Reds and Suncorp was full every game, however in the following years once NZ teams created their supremacy Suncorp became like a ghost city particularly when NZ teams visited. I agree the Proteas will rise again .... but who knows when.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Kamba 2" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NvD42 View Post
    For interest sake would you rate Eoin Morgan as better than Miller ?

Or the other 2 players below - No serious study just names of players I thought of

Miller vs Morgan vs Smith vs Taylor

T20I

Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Avg BF SR 100s 50s 0s 4s 6s
    D Miller 2010-2021 90 80 25 1742 101* 31.67 1237 140.82 1 4 0 118 77
    E Morgan 2009-2021 107 101 19 2360 91 28.78 1707 138.25 0 14 3 179 116
    S Smith 2010-2020 45 37 8 794 90 27.37 613 129.52 0 4 1 66 21
    R Taylor 2006-2020 102 94 21 1909 63 26.15 1560 122.37 0 7 6 121 71

Sorry the table just does not want to present nicely .... eish

Without getting too boring, Miller has had 25 "not outs" in 80 innings. Taylor has had only 21 not outs in 94 innings. (That is 31% against 22%). So yes that is what makes Miller's average not so good under the circumstances.

Coming in late, his job is to smash the ball, and he doesn't do that. I can't remember the number of times he finished a game with a strike rate of less than 100 after scratching in front of the stumps and wasting balls for 5 or more overs.

For that job, I would rather have a Bravo or a Watson in my team.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    I will support the Proteas 100%, do I expect them to win? Probably not, just wish that FAF was there
    I guess that FAF's MOTM award in the IPL final last night explains my desire to have FAF in the team. He has excellent knowledge of the UAE conditions and is still a world class player, can't understand why he is not in the Protea squad
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Kamba 2" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    I guess that FAF's MOTM award in the IPL final last night explains my desire to have FAF in the team. He has excellent knowledge of the UAE conditions and is still a world class player, can't understand why he is not in the Protea squad
    Not only Man of the Match, he made the most runs of any batsman in this year's tournament. So yes, he is needed to open with De Kok.

C

14. The Following User Says Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Not only Man of the Match, he made the most runs of any batsman in this year's tournament. So yes, he is needed to open with De Kok.

C
    2nd Most runs. His opening partner in CSK made the most. 2 more than Faf.
    Question is. Did Faf make himself available to play. There seems to be more to this story than has been published.
    True story normally comes out after the WC.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LC Bakkie For This Useful Post:

Try and find CSA tweets from last night.
    They ignored Faf completely
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Try and find CSA tweets from last night.
    They ignored Faf completely
    Tweets were deleted and replaced...
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Here you go
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Does anyone know how many SA player in the IPL are in the world cup , which is played also in the UAE and at same venue , I am sure all the Indian played there so a little unfair for the the rest , but perhaps not as home nations not always win , what your thoughts on this
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

As I mentioned before, three of the IPL stars were left out of the team. Faf, Tahir and Morris.

That is telling, yes there are several players who were at IPL who are also in the team.

Rabada, Ngidi, De Kock comes to mind off-hand.

Obviously AB was also left out because officially he has retired and therefore would not have been considered.

C

23. The Following User Says Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

C
    But you'd pick AB de Villiers though??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2021/10/16 at 04:11 PM.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

In this years batsman ranking, AB was ranked 28, while Miller languished in 75TH. So yes I wold certainly pick AB.

He didn't have a great year, but the magic is still there.

C

https://www.mykhel.com/cricket/ipl-2021-player-rankings-s4/

Edit: Oh, and just check this year's batsmen stats to see why I don't rate Miller. I think he made 124 runs in 9 innings?
    Last edited by C Africa; 2021/10/16 at 04:22 PM.

In this years batsman ranking, AB was ranked 28, while Miller languished in 75TH. So yes I wold certainly pick AB.

He didn't have a great year, but the magic is still there.

C

https://www.mykhel.com/cricket/ipl-2021-player-rankings-s4/

Edit: Oh, and just check this year's batsmen stats to see why I don't rate Miller. I think he made 124 runs in 9 innings?
    Pity he's not made himself available then, and not able to reproduce those stats when playing for South Africa. A little like Morris who is outstanding in the IPL but shown little when playing for SA.

We will see I suppose, how the team does, given its in the UAE and not India. Me, out of what's available, I'll take Miller.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

You will not believe how much I am hoping that Miller makes a fool out of me by proving me wrong!!!

C

28. The Following User Says Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 28 ... LastLast