11 months to E. Africa and back and...plans and updates - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: 11 months to E. Africa and back and...plans and updates

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Yes, the fast motion doesn't do it justice. But I think a very long video would be boring too.

I agree. Do you have any estimate on the amount of time spent on the proper 11Km ascent.

Thank you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Okay, technical difficulties overcome, next post is up: https://stuckinlowgear.com/sesheke-b...-zambezi-park/

Sort of feel like we are getting warmed up now, really having a great time, with just enough problems to make things interesting.
    Great to follow your trip Andrew, loving your blog. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to hearing what happens in the black cotton soil in your next post
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Kamba 2" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post
    I agree. Do you have any estimate on the amount of time spent on the proper 11Km ascent.

Thank you.
    I just checked the GPS track and the 12km from the Mutinondo bridge to Tunta Gate took us 1h 5m. While driving it seemed to pass both very quickly and take a very long time, so an hour is surprising to me. I'd have guessed longer. I think we only got out of the car once because the tsetse flies were quite fierce. Herman at Wildlife camp said there was a nice place to stop for a break near the top but we missed it I guess.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Next post is up. Getting stuck, crossing Lower Zambezi, Petauke road to SLNP.

It's a long one, but I feel we covered a lot of ground, proverbially and literally.

https://stuckinlowgear.com/stuck-cro...-petauke-road/

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

such an inspiring and well written blog!

You just brightened a dull grey November day in Germany, thanks for that and safe travels!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne_W View Post
    such an inspiring and well written blog!

You just brightened a dull grey November day in Germany, thanks for that and safe travels!
    Thank you! So glad you like the blog and really nice to hear it brightened your day. I know many a trip report on the forum has done the same for me, its nice to return the favor.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Hello all, a new post is up, https://stuckinlowgear.com/drive-the...national-park/

Apologies, the blog is lagging reality by a couple weeks, but we are hoping to cross into Tanzania in a few days and chill at Lakeshore lodge for a bit. Should be a good time to catch up on the blog, among other things.

unless..omicron. We shall see.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Fingers crossed for you!
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Thank you. This post has the best description I can recall, of the "05 road" northwards from South Luangwa, up the escarpment, to the Great North Road.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Thank you. This post has the best description I can recall, of the "05 road" northwards from South Luangwa, up the escarpment, to the Great North Road.
    you are very generous Stan, thank you.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Asante sana, Caldriver. Another terrific blog post. Congratulations on successfully driving the 05 - or, more to the point, a successful climb up the escarpment. All on the cusp of the rains.

You and your friends are so right. Road traffic accidents are the No 1 danger on an overland trip. We try to get that message across too.

Fingers crossed that you are able to cross into Tanzania.

Safari njema!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/12/01 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Asante sana, Caldriver. Another terrific blog post. Congratulations on successfully driving the 05 - or, more to the point, a successful climb up the escarpment. All on the cusp of the rains.

You and your friends are so right. Road traffic accidents are the No 1 danger on an overland trip. We try to get that message across too.

Fingers crossed that you are able to cross into Tanzania.

Safari njema!
    Asante sana! We managed to cross into TZ yesterday and are now relaxing at Lakeshore Lodge. The plan is to stay here until the blog is up to date!

Question for you and other veterans - we are making our way to Arusha to meet friends (hopefully) a little after Xmas. We’d like to visit Ruaha, Nyerere and Kilwa on the way. But we are also so close to Katavi, yet do not have time to do it all. We’ve been to Katavi and are thinking of maybe skipping it until we come back south. On the other hand, I believe Ruaha is sometimes devoid of water this time of year?

Any thoughts on how to skin this cat? I think we’ll postpone at least one park until later on, but the question is which one?

We will also ask Chris and Louise their thoughts.

of course I write this as if the latest news (omicron) has not happened, but one step at a time I guess.

I am dredging up the dregs of my paltry Kiswahili with difficulty, but it feels god to exercise this part of the brain a bit.
    Last edited by CalDriver; 2021/12/02 at 05:04 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Asante sana! We managed to cross into TZ yesterday and are now relaxing at Lakeshore Lodge. The plan is to stay here until the blog is up to date!

Question for you and other veterans - we are making our way to Arusha to meet friends (hopefully) a little after Xmas. We’d like to visit Ruaha, Nyerere and Kilwa on the way. But we are also so close to Katavi, yet do not have time to do it all. We’ve been to Katavi and are thinking of maybe skipping it until we come back south. On the other hand, I believe Ruaha is sometimes devoid of water this time of year?

Any thoughts on how to skin this cat? I think we’ll postpone at least one park until later on, but the question is which one?

We will also ask Chris and Louise their thoughts.

of course I write this as if the latest news (omicron) has not happened, but one step at a time I guess.

I am dredging up the dregs of my paltry Kiswahili with difficulty, but it feels god to exercise this part of the brain a bit.
    Karibu! So glad to hear that you are safely at the wonderful Lakeshore Lodge. Send my salaams to Chris and Louise.

If it were me, bearing in mind the time of year, I would miss Nyerere NP (the Selous) - wonderful remote Africa though it is. If there is any rain around, the Selous is a morass of the dreaded black cotton soil. I would do it on my way back south (if it’s the dry season). The Ruaha is a spectacular park for scenery alone - baobabs, hills and the river. I would always recommend a trip to the Ruaha with or without the river running.

I presume the rains haven’t reached southern Tanzania yet, but they will be due any day now, I would imagine. But it is all “Shauri ya Mungu”.

Best salaams.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/12/02 at 06:32 PM.

New post is up, Busanga Plains in Kafue. A video is in there too.

Video: https://youtu.be/0qn4D13UKmQ

Post: https://stuckinlowgear.com/escape-fr...usanga-plains/

Busanga was really great, what a unique environment.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Bravo!

We have stayed at Ntemwa Busanga and it is a very, very nice place. The food was outstanding and the staff so kind and helpful. Tyrone is an excellent conservationist and wildlife guide. We regret not going to their main camp at Musekese too. Their company is https://www.jefferymckeith.com/camps-safaris

Safari njema!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Another great blog post - thank you! And that muddy Busanga escspe video is awesome - I just need to make sure my wife never sees it, or we'll never visit Busanga...
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Another great blog post - thank you! And that muddy Busanga escspe video is awesome - I just need to make sure my wife never sees it, or we'll never visit Busanga...
    Glad you liked the video. Im still learning, but it is getting easier. It was hectic! I was nervous getting out of there, but we are learning and gaining confidence (if not interest) in those conditions. I wish I had taken more video footage, but after we got through the last obstacle we just wanted to get out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Karibu! So glad to hear that you are safely at the wonderful Lakeshore Lodge. Send my salaams to Chris and Louise.

If it were me, bearing in mind the time of year, I would miss Nyerere NP (the Selous) - wonderful remote Africa though it is. If there is any rain around, the Selous is a morass of the dreaded black cotton soil. I would do it on my way back south (if its the dry season). The Ruaha is a spectacular park for scenery alone - baobabs, hills and the river. I would always recommend a trip to the Ruaha with or without the river running.

I presume the rains havent reached southern Tanzania yet, but they will be due any day now, I would imagine. But it is all Shauri ya Mungu.

Best salaams.
    Thank you for the advice. Chris echoed your thoughts, adding that due to the hydro electric project there will also be a lot of large construction vehicles in and out of the park, likely making the roads less pleasant.

Were going to revisit Katavi and make
    our way to Ruaha, and perhaps visit Nyerere on the way South. After Ruaha well likely head for Kilwa to see the ruins there and a bit of the coast.

There has been a bit of rain, but Chris said that since rains have been so heavy the last few years that Katavi is not as dry as it might be, and probably Ruaha as well, though they had not been recently.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the advice. Chris echoed your thoughts, adding that due to the hydro electric project there will also be a lot of large construction vehicles in and out of the park, likely making the roads less pleasant.

We’re going to revisit Katavi and make
    our way to Ruaha, and perhaps visit Nyerere on the way South. After Ruaha we’ll likely head for Kilwa to see the ruins there and a bit of the coast.

There has been a bit of rain, but Chris said that since rains have been so heavy the last few years that Katavi is not as dry as it might be, and probably Ruaha as well, though they had not been recently.
    Have you thought about going to Kitulo Plateau NP in the Southern Highlands to see the famous flowers? It is known as the “Garden of God”. The only unfortunate thing is that the flowers are out during the rains (in November and December)! I haven’t been and I am told that one of the roads up to the plateau is quite intrepid and is known as Hamsini na Saba (which means 57 and is the number of switchbacks). However, there might be another way up from the Mbeya side. I have a great yearning to go to the Garden of God and to explore the Southern Highlands, but I don’t like travelling in the rains!

Were you intending on going from Ruaha to Kilwa via Dar - or via Songea and Mtwara?

Another tip, if you venture via Songea and Mtwara, do visit the lovely Old Boma at Mikindani just north of Mtwara. It is the original port and town and where Dr David Livingstone started his last journey.

You might need to treat yourselves to a night there if you do take the Songea-Mtwara road. We treated ourselves to two nights at the Old Boma Hotel after having driven from Mozambique via Unity Bridge as the rains were starting in December 2014.

Safari njema!
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/12/04 at 11:34 AM.

What a marvelous way to start the weekend. Thank you for another exceptional post. Indeed I must agree with Ortelius about the keeping the wife from seeing the video. Glad you have managed to Tz and Lakeshore lodge.

Thank you again for taking us on a marvelous adventure while we keep being worried and bombarded with Omicron and again postponing our plans for better times.

Keep well and safe.
    Last edited by apfac; 2021/12/04 at 01:57 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast