Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: 11 months to E. Africa and back and...plans and updates

We wish you “fair winds and following seas”.

Safari njema!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Well, we made it. Internet is fleeting, so I posted to the blog w/o photos. Here is the update: https://stuckinlowgear.com/namibia-2...kavango-river/

Short version: Windhoek was it's usual good self, but gearing up for a year in Africa remotely (I am jealous of those of you that can prepare and depart from your front door) is messy. After some logistics and spending too much money, we were tired of the city and ready to GO!

Now we're at Ngepi Camp and it is wonderful. After such a long stretch away, and so much time thinking and planning for this we can hardly believe it is happening. Arriving here felt like we have really begun, and waking up in the tent looking at the river this morning was something special.
    Spent a week at Ngepi a few years ago. Celebrated my daughters 21st at the pub drinking too many Springbokkies, got chased by hippo in the mokoro and froze our butts off swimming in the cage in the river! Had a return trip planned for December 2020 which is now on hold!
    Mahindra Scorpio Adventure 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Petzer For This Useful Post:

Here is the latest. https://stuckinlowgear.com/mahango-m...ne-bee-eaters/

We're in Livingstone now, pushing off for Lower Zambezi NP (Mvuu) soon. Latest post is up to Katima Mulilo. Our border crossing went okay but was interesting, I'll put details in the next post. Tip for anyone on the road, PCR testing at the Katima Mulilo hospital is 750N pp, we had same day results by 1700.

Also we crossed the border and had an old police clearance and were prepared to have a hassle with that, but none was requested. Meanwhile we met some Swiss who have a Namibian registered car that said last time they came through to Zambia here the Zambian officials made them clear back into Namibia to get their clearance before coming into Zambia. Police clearance seems to continue to be unevenly enforced. I suspect we did not get asked as we entered on a carnet?

Saw the bee eaters in Katima, fantastic! We're having a great time and starting to find our rhythm. Funny all those little tricks you forget, but also come back easily, to make days more efficient.

Managed to get quite a few logistics chores done today in relatively little time, maybe we are getting the hang of this.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

I’ll post a blog post or two in the next week I hope, but a few short notes that might be useful to those on the road:
    - the road from Mazabuka to the T2 junction has been repaired since we last drove it in 2018, it’s now very good all the way. Drove Livingston to Mvuu in 10 hrs
    -we drove across LZNP and exited via the east. Very interesting, the nicest part of the park is deep in, south and east of Jeki airstrip. The road NE out of the park is rocky and slow but has been maintained. Not wet season drivable.
    -Drove the Petauke-Mfuwe road, very interesting and in decent shape, though not fast.
    -Just finished the 05. River crossing was fine with the sand bags in a little rough shape and just awash, with a steep exit that needed just a little road building help. The escarpment is slow and rocky but not rushing it with quite a bit of 1st and 2nd gear low range and some rear diff lock there was no drama.
    - Saw the bats, holy cow, amazing!!

Things I hope not to repeat:
    -got stuck deep in black cotton soil in LZNP
    -might have got a bad load of fuel? The cruiser is running a bit rough
    -drove 1hr in the dark to get to bridge camp due to poor timing. Bush camp options on the road out of LZNP are not great.

Headed to Busanga plains now…

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Caldriver. I look forward to reading your blog posts. Congratulations for getting up the 05! Enjoy the Busanga plains and send my best salaams to Tyrone if you see him.

And if you are with Bud, tell him he owes the forum an update!

Safari njema.

WW, Bud and Mary are busy quarantining in Kasane having tested positive for Covid when hoping to cross into Zambia. Previously fully vaccinated and apparently not too ill at all.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    WW, Bud and Mary are busy quarantining in Kasane having tested positive for Covid when hoping to cross into Zambia. Previously fully vaccinated and apparently not too ill at all.
    Oh, my goodness…. I’m glad to hear they are not too ill.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the update re your trip. Look forward to next instalment and your blog posting.
    Sorry to hear about Bud and Mary - a reality check.
    Safe travels

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SANZ For This Useful Post:

I made a simple video of the 05 road across South Luangwa, just to give others a feel for what the road is like. My first youtube effort... forgive the music, originally it was "Highway to Hell" by ac/dc but that was under copyright.

https://youtu.be/Lds6vHYDta8

In Lusaka now. Blog update coming soon. Busanga Plains was incredible.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Bud and Mary back on the road after quarantining near Kasane and now in Zambia at Liuwa Plains.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I made a simple video of the 05 road across South Luangwa, just to give others a feel for what the road is like. My first youtube effort... forgive the music, originally it was "Highway to Hell" by ac/dc but that was under copyright.

Thanks for the vid, but one thing. Time lapse is to fast for my video driver so it remains a blur in low resolution display.

Half speed would just be fine

Looking forward to the continuation.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Thanks, Caldriver. Great video - terrible music! Of course, vehicle mounted cameras flatten everything out. The 05 is certainly a great adventure.

Looking forward to your blog update.

Safari njema!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Bud and Mary back on the road after quarantining near Kasane and now in Zambia at Liuwa Plains.
    Bud missed using all that time whilst quarantining to write an update/make a blog!

Yep, as WW says, camera totally flattens the gradient. Looks like a completely different climb to the one I have in my memory. Also, it is evident that they have also graded the escarpment section of the road this year - was not the case when we did it in 2016.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Thank you Caldriver. Excellent video. In fast motion the 05 just looks like a easy drive, except for your final wording stating the 6 hrs time lapse between Wildlife camp and GNR. Indeed a great adventure.
    Last edited by apfac; 2021/11/17 at 01:10 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Yep, as WW says, camera totally flattens the gradient. Looks like a completely different climb to the one I have in my memory. Also, it is evident that they have also graded the escarpment section of the road this year - was not the case when we did it in 2016.
    I agree that parts looked better than when we did it in 2014. But I’m absolutely sure that a grader could not possibly be put on the escarpment climb: the top of the escarpment, yes, but not the actual climb. More likely men with pick axes and shovels.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    I think 'graded' might be a generous term, but I would say that maintenance had certainly been done. I think doing this at the end of the dry season the road is probably as good as it gets, and in a few more weeks it may all go to pieces. Some of the rocky sections certainly had me paying very close attention!

You're right about the camera flattening the gradient. The road looks much better in the camera. I thought about putting it lower on the vehicle, but I though the hood in the frame sort of added 'context'. The gopro is new to me, and video in general. Also the gopro comes with stabilization built in, I wonder if I should turn it off? Also the time lapse is too fast I think, but also who wants to watch a half hour video of a car driving down the road?

I have much to learn on that front!

Quote Originally Posted by apfac View Post
    Thank you Caldriver. Excellent video. In fast motion the 05 just looks like a easy drive, except for your final wording stating the 6 hrs time lapse between Wildlife camp and GNR. Indeed a great adventure.
    Yes, the fast motion doesn't do it justice. But I think a very long video would be boring too.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Okay, technical difficulties overcome, next post is up: https://stuckinlowgear.com/sesheke-b...-zambezi-park/

Sort of feel like we are getting warmed up now, really having a great time, with just enough problems to make things interesting.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Okay, technical difficulties overcome, next post is up: https://stuckinlowgear.com/sesheke-b...-zambezi-park/

Sort of feel like we are getting warmed up now, really having a great time, with just enough problems to make things interesting.
    Asante sana. A terrific blog post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast