Question I would love some pre purchase advise on a 2009 LX76 4.2D and 2016 Hilux 2.4 GD-6 D-

Hello 4x4-community.
    This is a great forum and I have often looked things up here in your threads.
    I am hoping for some advise, as I am looking to buy another vehicle (second hand) and have found two that stand out for me..

2009 Toyota land cruiser LX76 4.2D, 198000kms
    2016 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 D-cab, 139000kms

Would anyone share their thoughts on possible pitfalls of the respective cars, things that are often worn and could be costly at that kms, and just some general knowledge..?

The car will be mainly city and high way driving, an everyday car, but we have a holiday house on a farm and need a vehicle to be able to go off road and do some heavy work. We also have 2 dogs and a baby on the way so it will end up being a family car.

I am aware that these are very different vehicles and it's a tough choice, my heart says the land cruiser but the practical sense says the double cab..
    Many thanks to any of you who take the time to respond!
    Kindly
    Alex

Default Re: I would love some pre purchase advise on a 2009 LX76 4.2D and 2016 Hilux 2.4 GD-6

Quote Originally Posted by Alex H View Post
    Hello 4x4-community.
    This is a great forum and I have often looked things up here in your threads.
    I am hoping for some advise, as I am looking to buy another vehicle (second hand) and have found two that stand out for me..

Would anyone share their thoughts on possible pitfalls of the respective cars, things that are often worn and could be costly at that kms, and just some general knowledge..?

The car will be mainly city and high way driving, an everyday car, but we have a holiday house on a farm and need a vehicle to be able to go off road and do some heavy work. We also have 2 dogs and a baby on the way so it will end up being a family car.

I am aware that these are very different vehicles and it's a tough choice, my heart says the land cruiser but the practical sense says the double cab..
    Many thanks to any of you who take the time to respond!
    Kindly
    Alex
    Do the sensible thing, you have a baby on the way.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I would love some pre purchase advise on a 2009 LX76 4.2D and 2016 Hilux 2.4 GD-6

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    Do the sensible thing, you have a baby on the way.

+1

I love a land cruiser, and a 76 is one i really want..

I am NOT a hilux fan and doubt I would ever willingly own one. However, for what you want and need from the vehicle, Hilux all the way!
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Hilux will also be able to tow heavier trailers than the LC to the farm if required so that is also a plus in my book.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Strangely, from what I've read here on the forum, the LC needs more maintenance and care than the Hilux.

- wheel bearings
    - gearbox
    - axle failures
    - chassis cracks
    etc

Also, an LC76 is a large, heavy vehicle and SWAMBO might not be happy using that as a daily drive, especially in a notoriously crappy place street-wise like parts of Slaapstad.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I have two Cruisers. I have done 150k km between the two of them.

I service myself as I did with the VW bus once out of warranty.
    The Cruiser are cheaper to maintain than the Volla bus.

The Wheel bearing service is preventive
    maintenance from Toyota to take care for vehicles operating in wet conditions.
    My youngest work at Diesel/Petrol workshop on one of the large mining houses in the area. They only do wheel bearings on their Cruisers at 100k km intervals.

The chassis cracks were pre 2007.
    Updated Chassis about 5 to 6mm thick.

If you look at the total 70 Series Cruisers sold and you play the number game cracked diff's is a very small sample.

I get the feeling that most use the negative arguments to shoot the 70 Series down.

You either love or hate them.
    I have yet to read where Cruiser owners compare Cruisers with other brands.

If I read other forums I get the idea that the 70 Series is the benchmark and everyone compares their 4x4's with them
    It needs to be better than a Cruiser

O ja and we use them as daily drives
    Last edited by grips; 2021/10/07 at 12:07 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

For your needs, and knowing the 4.2 is a donkey (you mentioned high ways) the Hilux all the way

But all that said, take the Cruisa
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    For your needs, and knowing the 4.2 is a donkey (you mentioned high ways) the Hilux all the way

But all that said, take the Cruisa
    With this I do agree

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I would not want to drive my Cruiser around as an everyday vehicle but its kitted.
    We cant fit into any parking spots underground

BUT, in saying that. I do not want to part with it. I keep telling my self I should just sell it but what do you replace it with?
    If I could go back two years when I bought it would I buy it again... Hell Yes

My Daily drive is either a Corsa 1.0T Or An Isuzu 250 X-Rider 4x4
    If I am not doing town driving or going to the shops, I take the Cruisers keys 99% of the time.

I just had to service the Corsa, R 4800-00 for a 60 000km service.
    The service on the Cruiser last week ( 110 000-00km ) R 2300-00, but I did supply my own oil.
    Last edited by Mypro-D; 2021/10/07 at 12:38 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mypro-D For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mypro-D View Post
    I would not want to drive my Cruiser around as an everyday vehicle but its kitted.
    I hate driving my cruiser every day.

It is big
    It is heavy
    It is too high
    It is heavy on fuel
    It is uncomfortable

Did I mention I love driving my Cruiser every day
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Exactly That

Its difficult to describe haha

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mypro-D For This Useful Post:

The 1HZ 4.2D in that LC76 makes that particular vehicle a better fit as a dedicated "overland" vehicle. Sure, it can be used as an everyday vehicle, specially at the coast, but you would still have to be a serious enthusiast to do so.
    If it was a 79 DC with the V6 petrol engine, it would be a better fit for every day driving, still not great, but better as far a driving a workhorse Cruiser around a city goes.

The Hilux should be suited to your needs much better in every way. Better driving comfort, much better fuel economy and still capable enough to serve you well as an occasional farm utility.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    I hate driving my cruiser every day.

It is big
    It is heavy
    It is too high
    It is heavy on fuel
    It is uncomfortable

Did I mention I love driving my Cruiser every day

Same issue. hahahaha, bought as a holiday and play car but with all the little jobs I have done on it, it hasn't done a single trip or holiday yet it has done as much mileage as both mine and swambos daily drivers since we got it.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Personally I wouldn't look at the 2016 hilux's. I know of three or four guys who all jumped at the new hilux and all of them were disappointed with really bad build issues - rust, rattles etc, which is understandable with a brand new model I guess.
    They all got rid of them within a year, and got newer models. They all still have hiluxs and are very happy with them.

As I say, this is just me personally as I have these guy's experiences. Im sure theres lots that are happy with their 2016s though, but I wouldnt.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex H View Post

ok..., Here goes:

We also have 2 dogs and a baby on the way so it will end up being a family car.
    this point automatically eliminates the cruiser.

If anything, with baby on the way, I would even say have a look at the 2.4 Fortuner. Where will you comfortably stow baby's pram and other essentials while on the move? You can remove the 2 rear seats and have a huge load area for those holiday home needs.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

We have a LC79 S/C overlander and a few sedan vehicles and suv's.

I really enjoy driving the LC but it is not a daily driver for a young family IMO. The vehicle is heavy, as an overlander, and has BFG all terrains as well. It does not have good crumple zones, limited airbags, ABS and a bunch of safety things though. And this is where I think you need to make an important choice. Too many folk choose their vehicles emotionally and without enough cold rational thought.

I feel that the high accident rate in RSA, the volume of illegal licences and more, is important to factor in.

Some of our friends drive bakkies and double cabs and often these are often shod with A/T tyres. They cruise at 120/140 easily all over. Those vehicles are nowhere near as safe as say a modern SUV with rated tyres, proper crumple zones, traction aids, braking aids and a plethora of safety features.

It takes one moment on these roads to have a serious oopsie.

A serious accident in a less safe vehicle can leave life long injuries. And especially to youngsters. You should maybe think it through harder? My 2c.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    We have a LC79 S/C overlander and a few sedan vehicles and suv's.

I really enjoy driving the LC but it is not a daily driver for a young family IMO. The vehicle is heavy, as an overlander, and has BFG all terrains as well. It does not have good crumple zones, limited airbags, ABS and a bunch of safety things though. And this is where I think you need to make an important choice. Too many folk choose their vehicles emotionally and without enough cold rational thought.

I feel that the high accident rate in RSA, the volume of illegal licences and more, is important to factor in.

Some of our friends drive bakkies and double cabs and often these are often shod with A/T tyres. They cruise at 120/140 easily all over. Those vehicles are nowhere near as safe as say a modern SUV with rated tyres, proper crumple zones, traction aids, braking aids and a plethora of safety features.

It takes one moment on these roads to have a serious oopsie.

A serious accident in a less safe vehicle can leave life long injuries. And especially to youngsters. You should maybe think it through harder? My 2c.
    This. A baby will put things into perspective when it comes to safety. As much as I love the Cruiser, the Lux is the better every day family vehicle

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

Wait until you have had the baby and then decide again. Things might change ...
    Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

I drive a 76 as my daily ride, tow car and overlander. I am over 60. I have no problem with it, but my wife does not like it at all. Finds it unacceptably hard, uncomfortable and bouncy. Even riding on lower tyre pressures. She does not even want me to take my small grand children for a ride in it-she says they will bite their tongues. Family car? I think not. Reliable workhorse? Absolutely. Consumption wise, the Hilux will eat the 76 alive at anything above rockcrawl, and then even.