Exclamation Bargain, 2014 Prado 150 For Sale!!

Now that I have your attention, I have the option of purchasing a 2014 Prado. looking at 2 different vehicles, 1 is a Petrol and the other is a Diesel, Both around150 000 kms. Which one would you choose, and Why?

Default Re: Bargain, 2014 Prado 150 For Sale!!

Petrol for more reliability (and likely a lower purchase price).
    Diesel for consumption.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~135000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 35000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

The constant gearchanges on the V6 irritated me so much that I changed to the 150 d4d and never looked back.Tows like a dream and without caravan it sits comfortly at 140kmh all day without shifting down on the uphills.For me the diesel,thank you.
    Swakopmunder

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to basie oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by basie oosthuizen View Post
    The constant gearchanges on the V6 irritated me so much that I changed to the 150 d4d and never looked back.Tows like a dream and without caravan it sits comfortly at 140kmh all day without shifting down on the uphills.For me the diesel,thank you.
    Agree with this comment, amazing engine and power but the harsh down gearing on hills ruined the vehicle for me.
    Diesel is much smoother.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to matty2.8tdi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    Petrol for more reliability (and likely a lower purchase price).
    Diesel for consumption.
    Diesel is very economic. Heavy city traffic with AC will give you circa 8-9km/l, petrol will be nearly half of that.

The 3.0 d4d is not exactly a quiet motor, so you need to be ready for that. It may be noisier than you expected, depending on what you have been driving. Perhaps test drive both and be your own judge.

I've used the 4.0 v6 on some long trips, and I've never experienced those downshifts or gear hunts that apparently annoy some folks. I don't know why, may be I was not racing it nor towing. Highway consumption is about 9-10km/l within speed limits.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

My dad bought a 2017 D4D Prado last week, before that he had a FJ and before that a V6 Hilux, in fact he never owned any diesel before.

Coming from the V6 the Prado initially felt underpowered and lazy, but so far he loves it and is already getting used to the fact that there isn't a hell of a noise, a shift down to 3rd and rapid acceleration when he puts his foot down, oh and of course he also doesn't miss the liter of petrol which goes every time you pull that move.

He will miss the perceived reliability of the V6, he is a bit concerned about the injectors and turbo of the diesel in the long run, but his main reason for the move from petrol to diesel was fuel consumption. The parentals will be travelling a lot more, a lot more long distances going forward, the Prado is their retirement vehicle.
    Apart from holidays and overlanding, a future move might see the drive to the closest shops being 30 to 40km, the fuel consumption of the V6 never bothered my dad because he lived 4 km from work.

When he first got in to the Prado he thought the trip computer was lying with it showing a range of over 1100 km, something like that was unheard of with the 2 previous V6's, even with the long range tanks.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Having owned a 120 V6 for 5 years and now a 150 D4D for 4 years I am totally convinced that the D4D engine gearbox combo is far superior than that of the V6 combo
    I honestly can report that my average fuel consumption on the D4D is below 9lt/100 km whereas the V6 was closer to 13 lt/100km
    The V6 had its tonsels removed and the D4D had a tonsel removal and a stage one done by a local ATM agent
    I am also convinced , being in the Trade , that if you religiously service your D4D it will last as long if not longer than the V6
    The D4D is not a Rocket ship but has all the power you need even when towing- without the irritating hunting gearbox of the V6
    Yes I agree it cost more BUT when you sell you also will be assured to get more!!
    I cannot imagine what to replace my car with considering everything it has to offer, except a new one of course--The GD6 just has to prove itself in my eyes
    Happy Searching, It might take some effort to find a low km clean car !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dawid de lange For This Useful Post:

I was in a similar position in 2017. Only knowing diesel engines before (kb280 Isuzu), I was a bit sceptical about the petrol. For the vehicles I was looking at (also at around 150 000k's) the petrol was 30-40k cheaper, and with the perceived improved reliability I ended up going for a 2010 V6 model. Towing with a petrol can't be compared to towing with a diesel, and you need to get comfortable with running the higher revs. The fuel consumption for the V6 is very dependant on your driving style, but you can work on 6km/l in town and 8km/l long distance. Towing consumption varies between 5.5 - 7 km/l. All the best with your search, I believe that these are both great vehicles.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tsitsa For This Useful Post:

That V6 is a BEAUT of an engine, BUT those gear changes drove me completely crazy on my 150. Speed Control is basically useless on it.

The Diesel would be a MUCH comfier ride - if only because of that gearbox on the V6 shifting down on every little incline.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

It has a lot to do with your driving style, as well as you use of the vehicle.

The engine is the same as the FJ, I do not know if the gearbox is the same, but the FJ has been accused of the same hunting as the Prado and I have not had that experience with the FJ.

I fully accept though that my different results are because of difference in my driving style.

Onroad long distance I am a relaxed driver, 110-115 km/h is enough for me, and at that speed the FJ does not hunt.

When I want to overtake I enjoy the kickdown and the high RPM rather than get annoyed by it and on dunes the high rpm really brings out the inner kid in me.

I have contemplated going back from Diesels to petrol vehicles for year, and have finally done that just before covid and I will not go back to diesel.

If you want to cruise at 140km/h low rpm on road and even while towing it has to be the diesel, the Petrol will annoy you. It will annoy you even more on the dunes when it drives right past you to the top
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser
    Website https://www.gama4x4trails.com/home
    Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/JorsMalan

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    It has a lot to do with your driving style, as well as you use of the vehicle.

The engine is the same as the FJ, I do not know if the gearbox is the same, but the FJ has been accused of the same hunting as the Prado and I have not had that experience with the FJ.

I fully accept though that my different results are because of difference in my driving style.

Onroad long distance I am a relaxed driver, 110-115 km/h is enough for me, and at that speed the FJ does not hunt.

When I want to overtake I enjoy the kickdown and the high RPM rather than get annoyed by it and on dunes the high rpm really brings out the inner kid in me.

I have contemplated going back from Diesels to petrol vehicles for year, and have finally done that just before covid and I will not go back to diesel.

If you want to cruise at 140km/h low rpm on road and even while towing it has to be the diesel, the Petrol will annoy you. It will annoy you even more on the dunes when it drives right past you to the top

Jors I agree. NO way I will change my super smooth powerful V6 for a noisy 4 pot diesel.

2020 FJ Cruiser "CementGrey&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"Sold
    2012 FJ Cruiser Sport "Black&White" RiceBowl" Sold
    Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Agteros For This Useful Post:

Bex

I could not stand the V6 petrol Prado , I managed four months and was very happy to see it gone. A very sturdy vehicle in every respect but the engine and gearbox combination is totally wrong .
    Off road its great but as an on road cruiser the V6 will drive you scatty
    Last edited by rodneykdc; 2021/10/18 at 07:52 AM.
    Life consists of two dates and a dash , make the most of the dash

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rodneykdc For This Useful Post: