Thread: Caprivi strip

Default Caprivi strip

Hi everyone,

Next November I am going to cross the Hi everyone,

Next November I am going to cross the Caprivi strip from Katima mulilo to go to Etosha. I would like you to recommend me which route is better, more picturesque or more beautiful to do if you take the C49, although there is a bit more detour but I don't care if the route is more beautiful than the B8.

I do not care how fast to do it, I prefer to drive through more beautiful places.

I would also appreciate the recommendation of some capsites in this area, Kwuando area, etc.

I appreciate your help.

Default Re: Caprivi strip

When I HF radio system for Namibian Police I travelled it numerous times via main road and back roads. Had arid times and rainy times. Seen a lot of it will do it again some

We've only driven western part of C49, and honestly, I wasn't too impressed. IMHO, nothing wrong with taking main B8 all the way to Rundu.

Plenty of very attractive camps in Caprivi. My all time favourite are Nkatwa campsites in Mudumu NP. For visit to Nkasa Rupara NP, we used Rupara Restcamp, at the outskirts of the park. For Susuwe Triangle, the Nambwa Comunity Camp can be recommended. In the western part of Caprivi, there is plenty of nice campsites around Divundu. We used Shametu Rivet Lodge and Nunda Lodge campsites.

Our blog entries from two visits to Caprivi:
    https://safaribug.wordpress.com/2018...caprivi-strip/
    https://safaribug.wordpress.com/2019...-2019-caprivi/
    Last edited by ortelius; 2021/10/02 at 06:15 PM.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your answer, I really liked reading your travel diaries on your website.

I was planning to go from Katima to Etosha without spending too much time in the Caprivi national parks, but after reading you I have doubts.

The truth is that before we are going to spend a week in Moremi, Savuti and Chobe, and later 4 days in Etosha, so I must optimize the time.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Fertoyo; 2021/10/02 at 07:20 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fertoyo For This Useful Post:

I would not leave Etosha as the last NP if you plan Moremi, Chobe and Caprivi strip NPs first. You would be disappointed to leave the worst for the last. Rather rewrite your itinerary and begin with Etosha. It is not bad as a starter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to schwott For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    I would not leave Etosha as the last NP if you plan Moremi, Chobe and Caprivi strip NPs first. You would be disappointed to leave the worst for the last. Rather rewrite your itinerary and begin with Etosha. It is not bad as a starter.
    Thanks for your advice Schwott,
    But in 2008, 2011 and 2014 I visited Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Mozambique. I know that the Chobe and Moremi national parks surpass Etosha, but Namibia also has a lot to offer and in planning it is much more comfortable for me to start with Botswana first.

Quote Originally Posted by Fertoyo View Post
    Thanks for your advice Schwott,
    But in 2008, 2011 and 2014 I visited Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Mozambique. I know that the Chobe and Moremi national parks surpass Etosha, but Namibia also has a lot to offer and in planning it is much more comfortable for me to start with Botswana first.
    Namibia is certainly excellent. Even Etosha has also something special to deliver. There are night-litted waterholes and good pool in Halali. Hopefully the All-You-Can Eat buffet in Okaukuejo will be back soon. No wonder some people do not even leave campsites for game drives.
    Enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Fertoyo View Post
    Hi everyone,

Next November I am going to cross the Hi everyone,

Next November I am going to cross the Caprivi strip from Katima mulilo to go to Etosha. I would like you to recommend me which route is better, more picturesque or more beautiful to do if you take the C49, although there is a bit more detour but I don't care if the route is more beautiful than the B8.

I do not care how fast to do it, I prefer to drive through more beautiful places.

I would also appreciate the recommendation of some campsites in this area, Kwuando area, etc.

/I appreciate your help.

You can do a combination of these two roads. In 2019 we went along the B8 before turning south to visit Nkasa Rupara national park (not a lot of large mammals- lots of warthog, good birds, nice scenery). Stayed in the Community Camp which overlooks a channel which may have water in it. Reasonable campsite with donkey geyser and reasonable ablution set up.
    Then traveled NW along C49 to Kongola. Regretted not stopping at Mudumu National park where larger river and more game options. Enjoyed Nambwa campsite and horseshoe bend on the West side of Kwando river. Great game viewing, nice river but heavy sand on the way in. See https://blog.tracks4africa.co.za/fav...on-aka-caprivi
    Let us know what you do and provide a trip report

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SANZ For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your advice, the truth is that I am going to spend almost two weeks of my trip in Namibia and I would like to make good use of the time.

I am an experienced traveler and have a hilux gd6 2.4 with which I have traveled much of North Africa.

I will do this trip with my partner who does not know Botswana or Namibia. I have been here several times, but the last one more than 10 years ago.

My intention is to make you enjoy this wonder of countries to the fullest. In Namibia From Katima I go to Etosha, I had thought 3 nights, one in Namutoni, another in Oukaukuejo and the last in Olifantsrus.

-After Opuwo and Epupa Falls

-Later on the D3703 and D3707 to go to Puros and Sesfontein.

-Springbokwasser Gate (Skeleton Coast National Park)

-Torra bay- Cape Cross- Swakopmund (rest for a couple of days)

-Walvis Bay-Gobabeb-solitaire-Sessriem and Sossusvlei

-Aus-Luderitz- Fish river Canyon

-Exit Namibia by Noordoewer -Vioolsdrif

I know it is an ambitious route but we like to make good use of the days.

We planned to come with another couple of friends and make the journey in two vehicles. We both really like driving in sand and dunes and we have a lot of experience. So we were going to try to explore some visited area of the Namib. But since we are now alone in a car, I don't think it's possible. I do not know if there will be a way to join a group that is going to drive dunes, or that is not something usual here.

Thanks for everything again

Epupa falls will be dry in November, but it is still nice part of Namibia. I would drive from Etosha Galton Gate to Ruacana and then take the scenic D3700 along Kunene River. I would swap Namutoni for Halali because of the night waterhole.
    I heard the Skeleton Coast is rather boring if you do not fish. I have never been there myself but I would probably explore Damaraland more instead. If you are experienced driver Klein Serengeti 4x4 track and Twyfelfontein through Doros crater to Ugab River Rhino camp are must.
    Last edited by schwott; 2021/10/08 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    Epupa falls will be dry in November, but it is still nice part of Namibia. I would drive from Etosha Galton Gate to Ruacana and then take the scenic D3700 along Kunene River. I would swap Namutoni for Halali because of the night waterhole.
    I heard the Skeleton Coast is rather boring if you do not fish. I have never been there myself but I would probably explore Damaraland more instead. If you are experienced driver Klein Serengeti 4x4 track and Twyfelfontein through Doros crater to Ugab River Rhino camp are must.
    Thank you for your contribution, I will try to shape the itinerary according to what you tell me.

When I was in 2011 on the skeleton coast, I loved driving there, it seemed like a place with a unique character.

Thanks