Default Crossing Lesotho

Hi all

I'm going to be in Richmond KZN over New Years and then I will be driving back to Johannesburg.
    I was thinking of maybe extending it into a bit of roadtrip and going through Lestho rather than just sticking to the N3 back to Gauteng.

My idea is to start at Sani Pass as I've always wanted to drive it and from there make my way across Lesthoto, preferably via more scenic roads and Katse Dam, to Caledonspoort and then head back up to Joburg via Fouriesberg etc.

I'll be leaving Richmond on the 2nd of December and can realistically afford to spend 3 days in Lesotho.

I was hoping people might be able to suggest a route to me so that I can take in some of the scenery and off the beaten tracks roads of Lesotho rather than just sticking to the A1.
    I would also really love suggestions on where to stay over along the way. I'll have just come from 5 days camping over New Years, so ideally I'd rather something self catering or at the least a backpackers vibe, although I will have camping gear with me.
    I would also like to know what the current covid regulations are regarding the boarder crossings

The drive will be a solo trip using a 2019 Ranger XLT 3.2 Auto on AT tyres, so I don't mind gravel etc but not looking for any serious off roading.

Any suggestions or advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Crossing Lesotho

I did this route earlier this year on my motorcycle. Covid tests going in and coming back into SA. Lots of roadworks, but absolutely stunning scenery. Had planned to stay at Kate’s Lodge, but it was closed for renovations, so had to move on…..long day on the bike! I think you may be able to, without to much hassle, wild camp along the way if needs be.

Riding across the backroads from Sani to Katse, you will pass many villages, so be on the lookout for kids, beggars and cattle.

You welcome to PM me with your email address and I will send you the gps route.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post: