Default Land Cruiser 200VX 4.7 V8 Petrol comments and opinions

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking at a 2008 model Land Cruiser 200 series 4.7 V8 petrol with 165 000km on the clock.

It's not the "preferred" Cruiser engine, but considering the low km's and reasonable (in Land Cruiser terms) asking price of just over R500k, it might be good deal...?

Are there any petrol 200 series owners who can swing my opinion either way? What am I realistically looking at in terms of fuel economy, running costs and driving experience - considering it develops the same torque as a 2.4L 4 cylinder Hilux..?

Thanks

JG

Default Re: Land Cruiser 200VX 4.7 V8 Petrol comments and opinions

JG the 4.7 is a transfer from the 100 series so they have been around for many years.
    In 2012 they changed to the newer 4.6 engine
    For open road cruising you can look at more or less 6 km/l, the 4.6 is slightly better
    Running cost is basically oil, filters, etc. they just don't have any real issues
    It is an amazing vehicle
    Cobus
    Land Cruiser 200 4.6
    Imagine Comfortvan

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saskia For This Useful Post:

As per Cobus Post above. The 100 and 200 V8 Petrols differm but lets leave it at that.

VERY low service costs. Like in ridicilously low servicing.

Engine is quiet, torquey and powerful.

Wonderful gearbox, a match made in heaven with that V8 engine.

Around 6km/litre.

You wont be sorry - believe me. One of my (personal) all time favourite cars.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

I bought a mint 4.7 about a month ago, much the same price as you're looking at.

In town fuel consumption is around 4.5 to 5km/l, open road 6.5 to 7.

I installed a long range tank, filling up every 340km is a bit too frequent for me.
    Current: LC200 - Back in the Toyota stable
    Ex: Touareg V6 TDi - Sold at 145 000 km. More breakdowns in 2 years than all other vehicles combined in 20.
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - Sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - Sold at 330 000 km.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4xhilux For This Useful Post:

I agree with all the comments above. I specifically chose the petrol due to lower service costs. My 200 costs less to service than my daughter's Aygo!

Long range tank is a must.
    Last edited by DiscoDuck; 2021/09/30 at 11:29 AM.
    2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 VX 4.6L

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoDuck For This Useful Post:

Consensus seams to be not to wonder about fuel consumption and to just fit a second tank.

On a serious note you don't buy a petrol V8 Cruiser or for that matter even a V6 for its fuel consumption, you buy it for other reasons and learn to lie about its fuel consumption. Ok maybe not such a serious note.

Nothing pulls like that V8 petrol in the 200, enjoy.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    You wont be sorry - believe me. One of my personal) all time favourite cars.
    Personal favourite, as in the 4.7 or even the 4.6? Or either?

Quote Originally Posted by 4xhilux View Post
    I bought a mint 4.7 about a month ago, much the same price as you're looking at.

In town fuel consumption is around 4.5 to 5km/l, open road 6.5 to 7.

I installed a long range tank, filling up every 340km is a bit too frequent for me.
    something is wrong with your consumption figures (which I cannot hold you on, as you are a proud owner of a V8)

340km / 90 liters is around 3.8km per liter on average

Quote Originally Posted by rnieckau View Post
    something is wrong with your consumption figures (which I cannot hold you on, as you are a proud owner of a V8)

Well, if it's city traffic consumption, that's about accurate. The D4 V8 gives about 4km/l (yes, not the LC200, but reasonably comparable).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JG Bergenthuin View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking at a 2008 model Land Cruiser 200 series 4.7 V8 petrol with 165 000km on the clock.

It's not the "preferred" Cruiser engine, but considering the low km's and reasonable (in Land Cruiser terms) asking price of just over R500k, it might be good deal...?

Are there any petrol 200 series owners who can swing my opinion either way? What am I realistically looking at in terms of fuel economy, running costs and driving experience - considering it develops the same torque as a 2.4L 4 cylinder Hilux..?

Thanks

JG
    the most comfortable vehicle I ever had the pleasure to own- the best ride and the biggest smile
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Consensus seams to be not to wonder about fuel consumption and to just fit a second tank.

On a serious note you don't buy a petrol V8 Cruiser or for that matter even a V6 for its fuel consumption, you buy it for other reasons and learn to lie about its fuel consumption. Ok maybe not such a serious note.

Nothing pulls like that V8 petrol in the 200, enjoy.
    Apart from the 5.7 litre petrol V8!!

Quote Originally Posted by JG Bergenthuin View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks

JG
    Yes they dont develop a lot of power/Torque thats the reason they are cheap to maintain , but one pays at the pump
    Modern turbo engines are far more efficient but complex which does add to service costs
    However there is a big problem with these modern wonder turbos , mine Alfa is the 1.4 multi air with 125kw and 250 Nm Torque which sound great but not at low RPM , only from 2000 so therefore terrible for off road ( I believe its in a few lower speck jeeps) , our Volvo is much better but its 2.5 l 5 cylinder and the fuel usage is not great , the Pajero is a diesel so not fair to compare
    End of the day if fuel starts going up to around R30/l then I would not like to have this car , its sort of 50-50 at the moment
    You have not stated what you want to use it for , as a daily drive NO
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Only have joy with my 4.6 petrol - absolutely zero issues since 2014.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fleetgro For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetgro View Post
    Only have joy with my 4.6 petrol - absolutely zero issues since 2014.
    Somehow those driving the 4.6 petrol swear by it over the 4.5 diesel, and likewise

Quote Originally Posted by rnieckau View Post

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Well, if it's city traffic consumption, that's about accurate. The D4 V8 gives about 4km/l (yes, not the LC200, but reasonably comparable).
    No, the 340km mark comes up when the low fuel light comes on. Then you have to put about 75 l. Average fuel consumption when you do only town driving is between 4.5 and 5 km/l. This is calculated tank to tank at the pump, not seen on the on board computer.

With my Discovery 4 V8 I had to put foot often to get less than 5 km/l in town, normal driving gave about 5.5 km/l.

With my 4.7 Cruiser this weekend I got 7.2 km/l on the open road Pretoria to Upington with 4 people and holiday luggage. Calculated tank to tank. Very happy with that.
    Current: LC200 - Back in the Toyota stable
    Ex: Touareg V6 TDi - Sold at 145 000 km. More breakdowns in 2 years than all other vehicles combined in 20.
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - Sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - Sold at 330 000 km.