Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Namibia December 2021 Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    So you want to do between 3 and 5 hours driving (average) per day? That leaves you no time to see the sites at any destination or on the way there.

personally, I wouldn't
    This is what i'm worried about. Missing all the sites due to time spent getting to the next destination.

Will spend the next few days researching the sites and things to do at each of these locations.

Thanks for the advise. Always appreciated.

I've done similar trips in Namibia. I think it is doable

Now ask yourself the question, WHY?

If you want to say you did it, great, as I said I have done this, however, don't do such silly things anymore. Trips are always expensive, in time and money, and I always try get the most for my money. If you did a bit less, maybe even drove slower, stopped for picnic, photos or just because, you actually get more. You traveling with your family, slow down, you shall all be more relaxed and far safer.

On my motorcycle I used to try cover 350Km a day on dirt in Namibia, and even that is often way too much.

But hey, again I did it, so you could, but maybe better if you don't

This is only my experience and my opinion, everyone is different.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the trip and I wish you and your family a safe trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kangelachris View Post
    Glad to answer.

We entered at Nakop border post, which has a LOT of trucks, a long queue of them waiting to be processed. But they were cool and waved us past, so we went straight to the health checks. Coming back we went through Vioolsdrift, which was much quieter and quicker. But even so, the border formalities took an hour at most. But make sure you've got all your documents, most important one is the PCR test, less than 7 days old and vehicle ownership documents or permission to take it across the border if it's financed.

Roads were in excellent condition, I guess because there is so much less traffic using them. If you aren't careful you'll find yourself hitting 130, which is bad if you hit a drift or corrugations, so keep an eye on that speedometer. Google was pretty accurate for the most part, far more so than the Tracks 4 Africa GPS built into my Ford Ranger.
    Thank you Sir, really appreciate the info. Do you perhaps know if Rietfontein will be opened by December as that could make the distance a bit shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    I've done similar trips in Namibia. I think it is doable

Now ask yourself the question, WHY?

If you want to say you did it, great, as I said I have done this, however, don't do such silly things anymore. Trips are always expensive, in time and money, and I always try get the most for my money. If you did a bit less, maybe even drove slower, stopped for picnic, photos or just because, you actually get more. You traveling with your family, slow down, you shall all be more relaxed and far safer.

On my motorcycle I used to try cover 350Km a day on dirt in Namibia, and even that is often way too much.

But hey, again I did it, so you could, but maybe better if you don't

This is only my experience and my opinion, everyone is different.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the trip and I wish you and your family a safe trip.
    Thank you Toni, this is exactly my intention to stop where ever, whenever to soak in the scenery, take pics, have a break see something new.

Safety is of utmost importance as I will be travelling with the wife and kids (10 and 13 years).

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Thank you Sir, really appreciate the info. Do you perhaps know if Rietfontein will be opened by December as that could make the distance a bit shorter.
    We can live in hope I guess.
    I heard that "El Presidenté" may be talking on Sunday, we'll have to see what he has to say.
    Kangela Chris
    www.kangelalife.com
    Kangela:"To look at with curious eyes"

Quote Originally Posted by kangelachris View Post
    We can live in hope I guess.
    I heard that "El Presidenté" may be talking on Sunday, we'll have to see what he has to say.
    Ahh super, that changes the dynamics of the trip for me then if that border opens.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    It will be physically dangerous to try and cover that kind of distance in that short space of time given the treacherous Namibian gravel roads - they lull you into a false sense of security because they are generally excellent... and then you hit that patch of sand, corrugations, washaway or whatever at speed and next thing you're dead or disabled.
    I understand the risks involved.

We did almost a similar trip.

My Jeep is like the Ship of Theseus...

If it's 5500 km we'd take 33 days to do the trip (based on our average over the last decade. We're all different, so it depends what you want. There's a dissonance between wanting to see a lot and driving 3-5 hours a day and just wanting to cover the ground.

I've driven 1835 km in 24 hours many years ago, however that was an "A to B" trip on European roads - very different, and I couldn't do it today.

Just my opinion but if I was planning a trip and Tony gave advice, I would probably strongly consider what he was saying...

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    It will be physically dangerous to try and cover that kind of distance in that short space of time given the treacherous Namibian gravel roads - they lull you into a false sense of security because they are generally excellent... and then you hit that patch of sand, corrugations, washaway or whatever at speed and next thing you're dead or disabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    I understand the risks involved.
    me too.
    day time in namibia is long and if one takes nam vacation as a road trip it can
    cover long distance way below speed limit and visit many places.
    planning is most important especially when time is limited.
    there are more interesting places there then anyone can imagine.pick yours.
    get up with sun,eat,drive for two hours,spend two at interesting place,drive another two,visit different place.....i hope you understand what i'm saying here.
    plan to arrive to place where you sleeping by 7pm,eat,sleep and carry on.

for me rest place is just rest place.when i fall a sleep makes no difference am i in 5 star hotel
    or at back of a bakkie.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    me too.
    day time in namibia is long and if one takes nam vacation as a road trip it can
    cover long distance way below speed limit and visit many places.
    planning is most important especially when time is limited.
    there are more interesting places there then anyone can imagine.pick yours.
    get up with sun,eat,drive for two hours,spend two at interesting place,drive another two,visit different place.....i hope you understand what i'm saying here.
    plan to arrive to place where you sleeping by 7pm,eat,sleep and carry on.

for me rest place is just rest place.when i fall a sleep makes no difference am i in 5 star hotel
    or at back of a bakkie.
    This is my plan in terms of travelling. Not in a hurry and will take many "smoke" breaks in between places.

Can anyone confirm whether or not a Sat phone should be taken along or will I be able to get an MTC sim at Nakop and pop that into a phone with adequate coverage along my journey?

On the route you want to do an MTC sim will be fine. You will have at the very least GSM coverage but 90% of the time 3G.

Sat phone not needed.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Its the Journey! not always the Destination! Enjoy your Journey!!

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advise. It is of immense value.

Be aware that at most Godwana Lodges you are required to park some way from your lodging. Not ideal for overlanders! Having just left Namibia today, I have noticed that at least two Godwana Lodges have started building chalets with direct access parking. They seem to have noted the error of their ways after Covid 19 reality has bitten and overlanding traffic has increased and "coach" traffic has reduced.
    soloafrika.com

"Rise free from care before the dawn and seek adventures.
    Let the noon find you at other lakes, and the night overtake
    you everywhere at home"
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by smcs View Post
    Be aware that at most Godwana Lodges you are required to park some way from your lodging. Not ideal for overlanders! Having just left Namibia today, I have noticed that at least two Godwana Lodges have started building chalets with direct access parking. They seem to have noted the error of their ways after Covid 19 reality has bitten and overlanding traffic has increased and "coach" traffic has reduced.
    Thank you, we're staying at the Gondwana Desert Lodge in the tented room. It does look like you're able to park right next to your room in the pics.

Anyone know of a tour guide for a self drive tour in Swakopmund/Walvis Bay?

I would like to do the Sandwich Harbor tour, dunes, etc... but with a tour guide in their own vehicle. Most of the places I've contacted don't allow the use of your own vehicle.

Also, would I have to book in advance as I'm not yet sure which day i would do this when we're in Swakopmund.

TIA,
    Chino

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Anyone know of a tour guide for a self drive tour in Swakopmund/Walvis Bay?

I would like to do the Sandwich Harbor tour, dunes, etc... but with a tour guide in their own vehicle. Most of the places I've contacted don't allow the use of your own vehicle.

Also, would I have to book in advance as I'm not yet sure which day i would do this when we're in Swakopmund.

TIA,
    Chino
    Contact Walter (AboutAfrica).

I am doing Sandwich again with him next week, in my own vehicle.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Contact Walter (AboutAfrica).

I am doing Sandwich again with him next week, in my own vehicle.
    Thanks Gert, can you please share his contact details?

Found his details. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast