Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Namibia December 2021 Trip

Hi Peeps,

So we're planning a trip for this December to Namib. We intend on doing the "lots of driving" trip starting out from JHB. I'm looking to break up the trip to Luderitz from Jozi and would much rather prefer to cross the Nakop border in the same day and book 1 night somewhere near Fish River Canyon. Gondwana super expensive. Any advice on breaking this trip between Jozi and Luderitz for 1 night?

Advice always appreciated.

PS, entire trip will be Jozi, Fish River Canyon/Luderitz, Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Etosha, Windhoek, Jozi, KZN North Coast. Leaving Jozi on 11th and returning on 23rd.

Default Re: Namibia December 2021 Trip

I hate to be the killjoy here, but that is an horrendous amount of driving in the very limited time you have - and away from the coast, temperatures of over 40degC are common in Namibia in December.
    Re the Gondwana lodges, you can get a Gondwana Card which gives SADC citizens a 40% discount on lodges and campsites, Klein Aus Vista excluded. Each member of your party needs their own card, and they have to be applied for before entering Namibia - you can't get them on arrival.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2021/09/28 at 01:30 PM.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Hi Peeps,

So we're planning a trip for this December to Namib. We intend on doing the "lots of driving" trip starting out from JHB. I'm looking to break up the trip to Luderitz from Jozi and would much rather prefer to cross the Nakop border in the same day and book 1 night somewhere near Fish River Canyon. Gondwana super expensive. Any advice on breaking this trip between Jozi and Luderitz for 1 night?

Advice always appreciated.

PS, entire trip will be Jozi, Fish River Canyon/Luderitz, Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Etosha, Windhoek, Jozi, KZN North Coast. Leaving Jozi on 11th and returning on 23rd.
    Have fun, I call it Amazing Race Vacation Travel.

Once did 8000km in 11 days in the USA, the look on the rental car agent's face was priceless when I returned the car.

My Jeep is like the Ship of Theseus...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

..PS, entire trip will be Jozi, Fish River Canyon/Luderitz, Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Etosha, Windhoek, Jozi, KZN North Coast. Leaving Jozi on 11th and returning on 23rd.
    Nope not realistic.

Turn back home at Sossusvlei at the furthest with the amount of time you have.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I hate to be the killjoy here, but that is an horrendous amount of driving in the very limited time you have - and away from the coast, temperatures of over 40degC are common in Namibia in December.
    Re the Gondwana lodges, you can get a Gondwana Card which gives SADC citizens a 40% discount on lodges and campsites, Klein Aus Vista excluded. Each member of your party needs their own card, and they have to be applied for before entering Namibia - you can't get them on arrival.
    Lokl, I know its a lot of driving and we've been pondering these distances for a while now but i'm thinking "why not" and then suffer later.

Thanks, will go and check out the Gonwana Card option.

Lokl, I know its a lot of driving and we've been pondering these distances for a while now but i'm thinking "why not" and then suffer later.

Do not listen to the naysayers.

Just do it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post

Just do it.
    5500km

That might be tough...

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post

Just do it.
    It will be physically dangerous to try and cover that kind of distance in that short space of time given the treacherous Namibian gravel roads - they lull you into a false sense of security because they are generally excellent... and then you hit that patch of sand, corrugations, washaway or whatever at speed and next thing you're dead or disabled.
    Tony Weaver
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

So the plan is not to drive like a maniac, def not. If tired, Swambo will take over.

So looking at spending the first night in Grunau.
    Then drive to Fish River Canyon the next day and spend 2-3 hours there and then drive to Luderitz.
    Drive to Luderitz and stay there for 1 night.
    Drive to Sossusvlei and stay there for 2 nights
    Drive to Swakopmund and stay there for 4 nights
    Drive to Etosha and stay there for 3 nights
    Drive to Keetmanshoop and stay over for the night there.
    Drive home to Jozi and stay the night.
    Drive to Kzn the next day and spend a week in kzn.

Is this unrealistic? What would you suggest I do from a route perspective instead?

Is this unrealistic? What would you suggest I do from a route perspective instead?
    My advice would be not to over-plan. Anywhere away from the coast in December is likely to be almost empty because of the heat. Four days is too long in Swakop, two to three nights max. I would overnight camping at Spitskoppe en route to Etosha. I would also drop the side trip to the Fish River Canyon - you can only access the view site, and in that heat, you won't spend long there.
    You can make your Etosha bookings in Swakop once you've got a better feel for the roads and distances - anything over 400km a day is a challenge in Namibia if you are on the dirt roads.
    Essential to book Swakop accommodation in advance.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2021/09/28 at 02:58 PM.
    Tony Weaver
    Previously
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

card was NAM $ 500 p/p last time i renewed it.
    i did similar trip in 8 days using mostly D roads.
    enjoy.

I'm with you, we had planned a similar trip in July, and decided to change it to only the south, aiming to go back to do the north in September. Life got in the way and we haven't been able to return yet. Although hopefully we will do so early next year, maybe April.

I agree JUST DO IT! You simply can't bank on being able to do so again.

I have published a series of videos of our journey which might help you with your planning, first one is here:

Kangela Chris
    www.kangelalife.com
    Kangela:"To look at with curious eyes"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    My advice would be not to over-plan. Anywhere away from the coast in December is likely to be almost empty because of the heat. Four days is too long in Swakop, two to three nights max. I would overnight camping at Spitskoppe en route to Etosha. I would also drop the side trip to the Fish River Canyon - you can only access the view site, and in that heat, you won't spend long there.
    You can make your Etosha bookings in Swakop once you've got a better feel for the roads and distances - anything over 400km a day is a challenge in Namibia if you are on the dirt roads.
    Essential to book Swakop accommodation in advance.
    Thanks Tony, the reason for the longer stay in Swakop is to visit up to cape cross and those surrounds and get in some fishing aswell. Unfortunately the fam don't do the camping thing which is a downfall so we're booking into B&B's, Chalets and Hotels. The thing with the itinerary is also that the chances of going back is probably slim to none, as we generally choose a country where we have not been before. However I guess if this is overkill then we need to rejig this to a more suitable/comfortable trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kangelachris View Post
    I'm with you, we had planned a similar trip in July, and decided to change it to only the south, aiming to go back to do the north in September. Life got in the way and we haven't been able to return yet. Although hopefully we will do so early next year, maybe April.

I agree JUST DO IT! You simply can't bank on being able to do so again.

I have published a series of videos of our journey which might help you with your planning, first one is here:

Super thanks on the Vid. A few questions if I may?

How much time did you spend at the border?
    How were the roads that you drove during your trip? I'm trying to gauge the accuracy of google maps and their timing to understand more around the travelling between the places we want to visit.

I must say that I have never been to Namib before, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect in terms of roads/driving.

I did a similar trip in 2016, except took a detour through Lesotho too. If I remember correctly it was 3 weeks total of which about 2 weeks in Nam.

Definitely do-able... Would've loved to spend more time there though.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 453
Size:  897.0 KB
    Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Land Rover Freelander II SD4
    Jaguar XJS V12

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bvandyk For This Useful Post:

In 2015 we did a similar trip, except we didn't do Etosha, in 9 days. 2 adults, 1x 7 year old, 1 x 5 year old. Took the Discovery 4 V8 - it was an awesome trip.

Slept in Bots
    Slept just across the border in Nam
    2 or 3 days in Swakop
    1 night in Sosusvlei
    1 night in Luderitz
    1 night in Ai-Ais
    1 night in Upington

Lots of driving, you won't have days on end exploring an area.
    Current: LC200 4.7P - Back in the Toyota stable
    Ex: Touareg V6 TDi - Sold at 145 000 km. More breakdowns in 2 years than all other vehicles combined in 20.
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - Sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - Sold at 330 000 km.

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    card was NAM $ 500 p/p last time i renewed it.
    i did similar trip in 8 days using mostly D roads.
    enjoy.
    Thanks, I see its NAD $ 250 now for new purchases.

So you want to do between 3 and 5 hours driving (average) per day? That leaves you no time to see the sites at any destination or on the way there.

personally, I wouldn't
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Although the distances are feasible, I would not do that trip as you outlined.

At the rate you are going to be travelling, you will see nothing. You will only be checking locations off a list. There is no way you will be able to do any place justice.

Just my 2c, but I feel you are going to miss a very large chunk of the things that make those locations awesome.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Super thanks on the Vid. A few questions if I may?

How much time did you spend at the border?
    How were the roads that you drove during your trip? I'm trying to gauge the accuracy of google maps and their timing to understand more around the travelling between the places we want to visit.

I must say that I have never been to Namib before, so I have absolutely no idea what to expect in terms of roads/driving.
    Glad to answer.

We entered at Nakop border post, which has a LOT of trucks, a long queue of them waiting to be processed. But they were cool and waved us past, so we went straight to the health checks. Coming back we went through Vioolsdrift, which was much quieter and quicker. But even so, the border formalities took an hour at most. But make sure you've got all your documents, most important one is the PCR test, less than 7 days old and vehicle ownership documents or permission to take it across the border if it's financed.

Roads were in excellent condition, I guess because there is so much less traffic using them. If you aren't careful you'll find yourself hitting 130, which is bad if you hit a drift or corrugations, so keep an eye on that speedometer. Google was pretty accurate for the most part, far more so than the Tracks 4 Africa GPS built into my Ford Ranger.
    Kangela Chris
    www.kangelalife.com
    Kangela:"To look at with curious eyes"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast