Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Accident damage - Insurers Policy

My wife was involved in a accident a week ago. A young guy lost control of his vehicle around a corner and hits her vehicle on its left front bumper. She luckily saw him coming and was at standstill during impact. therefore minor damage to our vehicle. His are a write-off since he ended up in someone front yard - after flattening the border wall!

My vehicle's front bumper (Plastic), front headlight and fog lamp needs to be replaced. No bodywork except repainting of bumper (white) and fitting new parts.

My insurer informed me it is its policy to replace parts with "alternative parts" once vehicle is out of warranty!

Surely this is unacceptable? Why should I accept "inferior" parts.

All this is when I am forced to use a Panel beater appointed by them! For a mere R 2 000 more another Panel beater quoted original parts!

Do I accept or fight?

Default Re: Accident damage - Insurers Policy

Definitely fight. Ask them if they are willing to loose a client over R2000.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

I have just had this same argument with my insurer. My broker told me this is "normal" with all insurers. My car is just short of 5 years old and in immaculate condition. My vehicle was hit in the rear by someone not following road rules.

Fortunately the panel beater I am using is on my side and has told the insurance the parts supplied do not fit properly and sent them back. As he says he has to abide by his company's policy of fixing things under their warranty period and wants proper parts fitted. It has obviously taken longer to repair because he keeps arguing with them but as I said to him I would rather wait and get it repaired properly.

I was also shocked to find out this is how the insurance companies work.

So speak with your panel beater and see what he can do.
    Kevin
    2016 VW Polo Vivo 1.4
    2014 Mitsubishi Outlander (wife's car).
    1969 Series IIa 109 station wagon (Chev 3800 engine) Sold

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhodie For This Useful Post:

Iím in the same boat. Some oke with an old Corolla jumped a stop street and my bakkie hit him on the drivers door.

Damaged to my vehicle R67k using genuine parts. The Toyota, I think, is totalled. Assessor cut the quote from R67k to R29k using ďalternative partsĒ. After a huge fight, they agreed to use a genuine bonnet and bonnet hinges.

Iíll be having a meeting with my broker soon. I want my vehicles insured with the understanding that I only accept genuine parts. Even if it means a higher monthly premium.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44EFCA45-545A-4DBE-B76B-05C09D77B7CC.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	631081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C5E96B5-A6E1-4502-B6D7-E665B4064BCE.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	631082  
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

My first argument would be how can they guarantee the parts which are not genuine will be of same quality as original, also that when selling yoir vehicles one day with alternate brand parts it will affect the value of the car as it is no longer all original parts.
    The other thing is that their policy usually states to repair to original state in some form or other and you should be able to argue it had oem parts so it must get oem parts back on again.

Current: Pajero 3500 V6 24v LWB M/T Gen 2.5
    Previous: Pajero 3.2 Did LWB A/T
    Previous: Colt 2.8tdi D/C 4x4 Extreme

One Heart: Land Rover Defender Puma 110, 2 x TD5 110
    http://oneheartint.weebly.com/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to allandell For This Useful Post:

I've been in the industry for 13 years now. Panelbeating side.

If a car is out of warranty, alternative parts are sourced. It is normal procedure, go and read your policy it will be in there. Guaranteed.

Some insurers don't allow "life and limb" safety parts like headlights, but alternative headlights these days (even LED and Xenon) have improved so much that they allow them too.

Unless it is not in your policy, I think you are in for a helluva fight.

That's why I drive "scarce" vehicles (Volvo's) for which there are no alternative parts. I even got an OEM windscreen for my XC60 the other day.

Your only defence will be if the alt part doesn't fit properly, then you need to moan to the high heavens about every gap and spacing. The repairer needs to have a reason to request OEM. The alt part not fitting properly is basically the only way around it.
    Last edited by Kix; 2021/09/27 at 07:18 PM.
    Current: 2012 Volvo V40 D3 Elite Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2016 Volvo XC60 D4 Inscription Geartronic

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kix For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    I've been in the industry for 13 years now. Panelbeating side.

If a car is out of warranty, alternative parts are sourced. It is normal procedure, go and read your policy it will be in there. Guaranteed.

Some insurers don't allow "life and limb" safety parts like headlights, but alternative headlights these days (even LED and Xenon) have improved so much that they allow them too.

Unless it is not in your policy, I think you are in for a helluva fight.

That's why I drive "scarce" vehicles (Volvo's) for which there are no alternative parts. I even got an OEM windscreen for my XC60 the other day.

Your only defence will be if the alt part doesn't fit properly, then you need to moan to the high heavens about every gap and spacing. The repairer needs to have a reason to request OEM. The alt part not fitting properly is basically the only way around it.
    I tend to disagree. Is the purpose not to restore your vehicle to its pre-collision condition?

I see no reason why you cannot have original parts fitted. If it is the case that he agreed to alternative parts being fitted, surely he is entitled then to claim the difference in price between the alternative part and original part from the other driver and insist that the insurer have the original parts fitted? The Insurer is in any case going to sue in his name by way of subrogation.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

The Ford driving Bi.......turbo ricoffy drinkin' man.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

I haven't read all responses yet, so apologies if I repeat anything.

You don't have to have the car fixed, you are entitled to receive cash payout to the value of the damage. Just tell your broker this is what you want. Take the cash and pay in the R2k and have it fixed properly.

Alternatively, you don't have to go to the panelbeaters appointed by the Insurer. You can choose any panelbeaters, as long as they are on the insurer's panel and authorised by the vehicle manufacturers.

After all is said and done, refer a complaint to the Ombudsman for Short Term Insurance. State that this important aspect was never disclosed at time of policy inception. State it's a barrier to claiming, and thus not in line with TCF outcome 5, and information was not provided clearly at inception in line with TCF Outcome 3.

Who's the insurance?
    Last edited by Groenman; 2021/09/27 at 08:00 PM.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=MANDREAS;4740576]I tend to disagree. Is the purpose not to restore your vehicle to its pre-collision condition?
    Last edited by hein100; 2021/09/27 at 08:14 PM.

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

What does your policy schedule say?
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

A panelbeater approved by the vehicle manufacturer, but pirate parts allowed?

[QUOTE=hein100;4740607]
    Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    I tend to disagree. Is the purpose not to restore your vehicle to its pre-collision condition?
    edit
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2021/09/27 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    Agreed, this is old news. As long as fit and finish is OK, that is all that matters. Else end up paying extra for "OEM" only replacement parts.

Does body putty not also means repaired and in working condition. I am OT here, but the point being they may as well fit any rubbish, even used, rust repaired parts. How would you know?

[QUOTE=hein100;4740607]
    Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Appollogies for my cynical comments, just had an almost run-in with daughters car. In the end 45 years of being a client swayed it, but why is that even neccesary?

Policy only states - "To be repaired".

No "fine print" I could find.

But we are all covered under the same umbrella!

How old is the car?

Also the insurance will be responsible for the repair, and I am pretty sure they will not allow inferior parts.

I personally like to manage my claims, or rather cost of claims where possible, if I can fit alternative parts and it cuts the cost I will definitely do it, but, for R2000 it does not sound to be worth the effort.

We recently needed repairs to my wife's BMW's boot, new boot lid came in at R25k or something, the question about alternative or used parts were raised by myself to reduce the cost, and a perfectly fine boot lid was sourced for R11k, that to me is a good saving.

Vehicle 10 Years old and in a very good condition.
    The replacement parts in question is the lights. I was warned that "alternative parts" = lights sometimes give lots of problems to properly be aligned and also intents to change to yellow color within a year.

SWAMBO's very new (2year, ~20k km on the ODO) car was rear ended with a resulting crack in the rear bumper. Assesor wanted to repair the bumper.

I said F that. I want a replacement OEM bumper. Told the panel beater to make it happen. He did.

But seriously, an almost brand new car and the assesor wanted to fix a plastic part instead of replacing it? That's seriously BS!

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~135000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 35000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    How old is the car?

Also the insurance will be responsible for the repair, and I am pretty sure they will not allow inferior parts.

I personally like to manage my claims, or rather cost of claims where possible, if I can fit alternative parts and it cuts the cost I will definitely do it, but, for R2000 it does not sound to be worth the effort.

We recently needed repairs to my wife's BMW's boot, new boot lid came in at R25k or something, the question about alternative or used parts were raised by myself to reduce the cost, and a perfectly fine boot lid was sourced for R11k, that to me is a good saving.
    Agree it is std practise when a vehicle is older than 5 years when most warranties expire anyway. If its in perfect condition and fit perfect ure been put in the same position before the accident.

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast