Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trip Update, we are in Botswana

I’ll say first off that I don’t really know the best place to start, what to cover (i.e what's of interest to others on the forum), how much detail and how much to cram into a post.

Fair warning upfront is that internet access for my laptop just got sorted, but requires of course cell connectivity which looks to be limited in most of the botswana areas we will be traveling in. After that, who knows. So I may not be able to reply quickly to any feedback or questions etc.

Upon leaving Cape Town we made our way to Kruger on a route along the garden coast and the Transkei, before heading north. I had some concerns in advance of driving the N1 through the towns in the Transkei, but found them interesting and had no incidents of any kind. We were fortunate to be able to meet up with three forum members and their families at various points along the way and greatly enjoyed camping with one of the families in Kruger. Twelve days in Kruger ( Letaba, Tzendie, Shingwedzi and Punda Maria) were like wow, so much wildlife. As a first time visitor to Africa parks it was overwhelming in its diversity. Our favorite activity in retrospect was observing the elephants. We found the actual camping to be on the tame side as the fenced camps allow normal camping behavior as there is in the states (except for accommodation for the monkeys).

Following Kruger we needed what we thought were a few days in JHB to get some more fitment items done, and a few odds and ends. We were graciously accommodated by a forum member and his family that was a real lifeline at that time. We were not really ready for Botswana and the list for the vehicle, gear, medical, financial, etc was more than a page long, It ended up being 8 days and everything we needed got done while we had such a good time in conversation with our hosts.

So here we are now in Francistown, dealing with a serious injury to Mary's eye. It merits sharing but not at this time. Plans made back 9-10 months ago changed in short notice. We are hopeful but not certain it will resolve completely well, but that certainty will be 1-2 months away. We did spend 2 nights at Khama Rhino Sanctuary and 5 nights in the CKGR in the last 2 weeks and for sure that is the highlight of our Africa travels so far. In CKGR we travelled the northern loop in a counter clockwise direction ( i.e west in the Passarge Valley and then East through the Letiahau Valley. The western portion “feels” very remote and we only saw 2 other parties in 2 1/2 days in the western side It feels like hardly anyone else is there and looking at the entrance log book I wasn't surprised either that we saw perhaps 8 other groups ( mostly just 1 vehicle) all together in the 5 days. Our reservations were not ideal and conducive for doing the loop but the ranger at the gate said that we can travel as we wish and should have no problem getting a site. I think I will need to do a followup post re the CKGR.

Going forward in Botswana we intend to depart Francistown in 1-2 days and head to Maun. We have missed reservations for Kubu Island and Makgadikgadi, and are moving upcoming plans for Nxai Pan. We have delayed plans also to canoe the lower Zambezi in late October due to the closed border between Zam and Zim and also leery of being too far away from medical support for Mary. I’ll add some more info to this post or new posts in other threads, there are many aspects of overlanding that I ought to talk about.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bud3 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Trip Update, we are in Botswana

Keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy and complete recovery for your wife

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne_W For This Useful Post:

Our accommodations in Francistown are worthy of mention. We are at Cresta Marang Gardens, a facility that has townhouses, detached bungalows, restaurant , etc, plus room for campers and overlanders. THe setting is idyllic and we have the camping area mostly to ourselves. The abulation block is great, best I have seen, and of course I am the only one using it. The cost is less than it should be considering what we paid elsewhere, 100 Pula pppd. 5 nights here over the past 2 weeks, hard to get going again. They also were so helpful when I approached the reception at 10 pm one night and needed to know the best private hospital and how to get there. The manager got in her car and led the way. She had been working all day and headed back to work after seeing to our needs to get entry into the hospital grounds. That's customer service at its finest IMHO. Though we are in the city, there is green space around the perimter and traffic noise is not bothersome. Good security, wifi, etc,

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bud3 For This Useful Post:

Very sorry to hear, Bud, that Mary has sustained a serious eye injury. I wish you both all the very best.

Oh no! I am sorry to hear about Mary's eye injury, fingers crossed for her smooth recovery.

Thanks for the update, it sounds like (other than the eye injury) you are having some good adventures. I think on a long trip it is unavoidable to rework some bookings and plans, so hopefully one silver lining is that with low tourist numbers due to covid reorganizing your itinerary won't be too disruptive? Or at least I hope not.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of overlanding, the vehicle, bush, etc. It's those little details and new perspectives that I think many will find interesting. We are less than three weeks from departure ourselves, I'll post an update on the forum sometime soon.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

Greetings and thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about Mary's eye injury and hope it is under control. You noted that you are not sure what the forum is interested in.
    Judging by 14 077 views of the "Pajero bleeping sound" the 20 000 views of the "Sourdough Starter", the 11 776 views of "A mountain bike-what makes it so expensive" etc, clearly interests are diverse and eclectic.
    Mentioning Covid will generate reviews and response- learned or otherwise, although I note that "Covid and Romance" was more widely viewed (3578 views) than "Lastest Covid restrictions from the MOH" (Ministry of Health) 3414 views and there were only 277 views for CVOVID Border tests.
    Stan's Vaccination thread had 114 881 views but his Covid passport thread only had 991 views and the "Ivermectin. In the absence of an available vaccine why ban it" got 2373 views.

Bird identification (281727 views), "What have you done with your Defender" (844657), the "IT are Time", interesting pictures, Where am I, Tool drool, and are extremely popular.
    Threads that have more than 1 000 000 views include "So who is going camping this weekend (1.3m) and what may be the most viewed include "The give it away before I toss it thread" (3.40m views) and the "Interesting Pictures" (3.24m) threads.
    The "Posting a photo of your Ford/Mazda" got 256 views but no replies whereas "Photos of yours Nissans !" has had 521919 views and 1617 replies.
    So there is an audience for you and we can all think of someone who is guaranteed to respond what ever the subject as they always know better ( Anyone wish to start a thread with their suggestions as to who this description fits?)

So to assist answering your question: I would suggest that you focus on what interests you and especially those topics/locations/routes that you sought advise on from the forum.
    I would be interested to hear about and see photos of:
    Your new Vehicle
    How you sorted out the storage/kitchen
    How you sorted all the kitchen implements that you were keen on taking and what you chose not to take
    What you are please that you have packed
    What you regret taking
    What were the niggling problems that developed and how you sorted them out (I understand you had problems with the inverter- I see there were about 10882 views of one of the many inverter posts on the forum but only 47 posts in that thread. There are many Inverter/Invertor threads)
    Your experience of border crossings in these Covid times
    Positive and negative accommodation/campsite experiences
    Memorable animal sighting/encounters

A day by day trip report such as WW and Stan and Ortius/Caldriver and many others are most entertaining to read and will be a record for you and your family so please consider creating these and posting chapters when you have internet access. The women in Aartvark posted highlights of their week on their blog: Best food, Best drink, Best experience etc which was fun. There may have been lowlights as well.
    Trip Reports (or regular updates) are instructive to those of us that do not know everything, and allow us to vicariously travel. Details of distances/times travelled and fuel consumption are useful.
    I look forward to learning of your challenges and how you overcame them, sharing what gives you joy and despairing with you in times of trouble.
    The trip reports/updates enrich our lives, and provide us with ideas for future exploration.
    Wishing you both all the best

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SANZ For This Useful Post:

Bud, if you need any assistance or even just some company while Mary is being treated, give me a shout and or post on the forum.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

[QUOTE=SANZ;4739862]Greetings and thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about Mary's eye injury and hope it is under control. You noted that you are not sure what the forum is interested in.
    Judging by 14 077 views of the "Pajero bleeping sound" the 20 000 views of the "Sourdough Starter", the 11 776 views of "A mountain bike-what makes it so expensive" etc, clearly interests are diverse and eclectic.
    Mentioning Covid will generate reviews and response- learned or otherwise, although I note that "Covid and Romance" was more widely viewed (3578 views) than "Lastest Covid restrictions from the MOH" (Ministry of Health) 3414 views and there were only 277 views for CVOVID Border tests.
    Stan's Vaccination thread had 114 881 views but his Covid passport thread only had 991 views and the "Ivermectin. In the absence of an available vaccine why ban it" got 2373 views.

Bird identification (281727 views), "What have you done with your Defender" (844657), the "IT are Time", interesting pictures, Where am I, Tool drool, and are extremely popular.
    Threads that have more than 1 000 000 views include "So who is going camping this weekend (1.3m) and what may be the most viewed include "The give it away before I toss it thread" (3.40m views) and the "Interesting Pictures" (3.24m) threads.
    The "Posting a photo of your Ford/Mazda" got 256 views but no replies whereas "Photos of yours Nissans !" has had 521919 views and 1617 replies.
    So there is an audience for you and we can all think of someone who is guaranteed to respond what ever the subject as they always know better ( Anyone wish to start a thread with their suggestions as to who this description fits?)

So to assist answering your question: I would suggest that you focus on what interests you and especially those topics/locations/routes that you sought advise on from the forum.
    I would be interested to hear about and see photos of:
    Your new Vehicle
    How you sorted out the storage/kitchen
    How you sorted all the kitchen implements that you were keen on taking and what you chose not to take
    What you are please that you have packed
    What you regret taking
    What were the niggling problems that developed and how you sorted them out (I understand you had problems with the inverter- I see there were about 10882 views of one of the many inverter posts on the forum but only 47 posts in that thread. There are many Inverter/Invertor threads)
    Your experience of border crossings in these Covid times
    Positive and negative accommodation/campsite experiences
    Memorable animal sighting/encounters

A day by day trip report such as WW and Stan and Ortius/Caldriver and many others are most entertaining to read and will be a record for you and your family so please consider creating these and posting chapters when you have internet access. The women in Aartvark posted highlights of their week on their blog: Best food, Best drink, Best experience etc which was fun. There may have been lowlights as well.
    Trip Reports (or regular updates) are instructive to those of us that do not know everything, and allow us to vicariously travel. Details of distances/times travelled and fuel consumption are useful.
    I look forward to learning of your challenges and how you overcame them, sharing what gives you joy and despairing with you in times of trouble.
    The trip reports/updates enrich our lives, and provide us with ideas for future exploration.
    Wishing you both all the best[/QUOTE

Thanks Sanz, ok, ok..I see your point.! re the many views on such diverse threads. I mostly think you all have heard it all before and theres nothing new under the sun so to speak. What we Mary and I have been through mean little to most others on the forum cause we feel like we know little c0mpared to the vast majority. And of course that little niggling detail about where does the time come from to write...but I really do want to but this adventure has been so hetic and times. But I do want to tend to, reflect on, and write on everyhting you mention and more.

We do have a private Facebook Group we started when we were still in the states and months away from departure. Since we have been here traveling it has grown to include Africans and other travelers ( increases by the week it seems and already has handful of forum members). We welcome forum members that would like to join. It gets updated at least 2-3 times per month so another source of info. If anyone on the forum is interested; from FB groups go seach for to Mary & Buds Journey of Discovery and ask to join and Mary well accept. If your forum name is radically different from FB name, send me a private message in forum what the FB name is . We get random requests from people that we don't know to join and we decline. There is a you youtube page with the same name, some content is public and some only availablke through FB. Video creation is a whole nother can of worms at the moment so the few videos i have posted are related to FB posts

Ok, so will get to it...documenting our experiences

Thanks to all for the well wishes on Marys recovery!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bud3 For This Useful Post:

Hi Bud, thanks for updating us on your travels, all the best to Mary, hope her eye heals soonest. Regards John
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/09/27 at 02:48 PM.
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Ratel" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Best wishes for Mary's fast and complete recovery.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Heres a video of how our camp is set up when we arrive to a new site. We do it often and it takes 5-10 minutes typically.

https://youtu.be/52_V-cW7eGc

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bud3 For This Useful Post:

That looks great Bud, well done
    John 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8 (in Australia) and 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D (in Africa)
    Badger 4i BL1677 "Ratel" (in Australia) and Baobab BL1715 "Kamba" (in Africa)
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for this,
    The set up looks looks great. I especially like your custom made L shaped table on the side. Reinforced beer crates are very useful! Beware of light fingers other than monkeys. You look comfortably settled into the overlanding way of life.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SANZ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SANZ View Post
    Thanks for this,
    The set up looks looks great. I especially like your custom made L shaped table on the side. Reinforced beer crates are very useful! Beware of light fingers other than monkeys. You look comfortably settled into the overlanding way of life.
    Thanks Sanz...
    I think we feel that we have not settled ointo this way of life! WE have not internalized very well yet that this is not a long vacation, but a indefinite journey now. And the number of issues we have experienced both external and internal (our own doing), is long already. Like living in a house, stuff goes wrong. I thought I was ready for what Africa may bring mentally but wasn't ready for my own stupidity/inattention causing issues. Here is a list perhaps helpful to others. In no particualr order.

1. Two inverter failures. Last one occurred when I connected into shore power. It's a mystery and not sorted a relacement and preventative action.
    2. Marys eye injury casued by a bungie cord. Preventable and there was some detail about how items get stowed that I had not gone over with Mary before this happened. SAfety needs top of mind always
    3. Hatch on alucab popped open while driving tracks in CKGR ( or did I drive away with it open?). Not sure how it happened, and the edge /seal on the hatch took a minor beating. Lost a power cord ( had repalcement). Thinking through how to prevent a recorrance or sooner detection if it does reoccur.
    4. Some locks on the alucab hacthes not able to lock, havent figured out a remediation yet.
    5. A water bag stored inside the camper leaked about 5-10 liters of water and undetected for a while. Think I know how to prevent this.
    6. Two Botswana speeding tickets due to lack of attention. Learned how to pay less than list price however on the fine however.
    7. Broken weld on the gobi-x wheel swing arm for the hi lift jack. Need to get rewelded. Think this was poor workmanship.
    8. Missing many paid reservations in Kruger and Botswana. Hoping to recover/reschedule some missed in Botswana already. After just this short time I see the problems with reservations and will be leary of making any.
    As I look at list now in retrospect maybe not toooo bad, some is preventable the first time and that what gets me down sometimes.

On the good side it would be a much longer list and the headline and most important is
    Mary and I are getting through issues together, not just the problems listed but the day to day living together hip to hip so to speak. Not perfect, as I am far from the perfect spouse, but stiving to do better. We appreciate this experience and feel fortunate to do it, meeting many who also have this goal for freedom to travel as they wish ( within the constraints of overlanding I should add). Each day brings it own rewards and challanges and most days are quite different from each other. We need to get better and settle into this rhythm of camping and travel, living outside except when driving and sleeping. It's amazing the sounds of Africa when your outside all of the time ( and at night while in the tent) whether in Francistown or CKGR. The second item on the good side is the people...so many kind, interesting, helpful and just nice to talk with. A widedly diverse list of folks. Expect to meet so many more too. We have just joined a whatsapp group that is for active, ongoing overlanders around the world, though most are in Africa presently..folks that do it full time as oppossed to vacations/sabaticals. They have a different mindset based on the few we have met up with. Well pushing off now from Planet Baobab to Maun.

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bud3 For This Useful Post:

Ah, two more that I must add..

Ruined a new sony camera at the ocean in Cape Town ( my fault again lack of attentoin to the surf) ..insured and replaced with some out of pocket costs
    Ruined a older drone...again my fault lack of attention. Replaced, and though insured our Insurance company says rthat they will cancel the insurance on personal articles if we file a claim, so we have held off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud3 View Post
    Thanks Sanz...
    I think we feel that we have not settled ointo this way of life! WE have not internalized very well yet that this is not a long vacation, but a indefinite journey now. And the number of issues we have experienced both external and internal (our own doing), is long already. Like living in a house, stuff goes wrong. I thought I was ready for what Africa may bring mentally but wasn't ready for my own stupidity/inattention causing issues. Here is a list perhaps helpful to others. In no particualr order.

1. Two inverter failures. Last one occurred when I connected into shore power. It's a mystery and not sorted a relacement and preventative action.
    2. Marys eye injury casued by a bungie cord. Preventable and there was some detail about how items get stowed that I had not gone over with Mary before this happened. SAfety needs top of mind always
    3. Hatch on alucab popped open while driving tracks in CKGR ( or did I drive away with it open?). Not sure how it happened, and the edge /seal on the hatch took a minor beating. Lost a power cord ( had repalcement). Thinking through how to prevent a recorrance or sooner detection if it does reoccur.
    4. Some locks on the alucab hacthes not able to lock, havent figured out a remediation yet.
    5. A water bag stored inside the camper leaked about 5-10 liters of water and undetected for a while. Think I know how to prevent this.
    6. Two Botswana speeding tickets due to lack of attention. Learned how to pay less than list price however on the fine however.
    7. Broken weld on the gobi-x wheel swing arm for the hi lift jack. Need to get rewelded. Think this was poor workmanship.
    8. Missing many paid reservations in Kruger and Botswana. Hoping to recover/reschedule some missed in Botswana already. After just this short time I see the problems with reservations and will be leary of making any.
    As I look at list now in retrospect maybe not toooo bad, some is preventable the first time and that what gets me down sometimes.

On the good side it would be a much longer list and the headline and most important is
    Mary and I are getting through issues together, not just the problems listed but the day to day living together hip to hip so to speak. Not perfect, as I am far from the perfect spouse, but stiving to do better. We appreciate this experience and feel fortunate to do it, meeting many who also have this goal for freedom to travel as they wish ( within the constraints of overlanding I should add). Each day brings it own rewards and challanges and most days are quite different from each other. We need to get better and settle into this rhythm of camping and travel, living outside except when driving and sleeping. It's amazing the sounds of Africa when your outside all of the time ( and at night while in the tent) whether in Francistown or CKGR. The second item on the good side is the people...so many kind, interesting, helpful and just nice to talk with. A widedly diverse list of folks. Expect to meet so many more too. We have just joined a whatsapp group that is for active, ongoing overlanders around the world, though most are in Africa presently..folks that do it full time as oppossed to vacations/sabaticals. They have a different mindset based on the few we have met up with. Well pushing off now from Planet Baobab to Maun.
    Thank you for your candid thoughts Bud. Some of what you describe sounds like the regular stuff of life, though perhaps magnified in Africa and while away from home?

In our first couple weeks we drove the cruiser into a parking garage that was too short, resulting in a near tragic damage to the roof/roof rack. Funny (now) that we were traumatized not by lions, elephants or snakes but by something as innocuous as a parking garage. What seemed like a complete tragedy on that day was resolved a or two day later. Such are the ups and downs of travel. That particular event allowed us to meet several kind and helpful people, including Kasane's only aluminum welder.

I also love the sounds, an under appreciated aspect of traveling in Africa I think. Re: the locks - we brought some graphite lube, but it sort of just mixes with the dust and ours are always fiddly. Good luck and thanks for the update.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    ....... Re: the locks - we brought some graphite lube, but it sort of just mixes with the dust and ours are always fiddly. Good luck and thanks for the update.
    Hi Bud and Mary. You can buy graphite powder in puffer bottles for the locks. Lubricates very well without gumming up with dust. Can get it from most locksmiths. We even lubricate our camping zips with this to prevent jamming or can use a little candle wax.

Bud, speeding and falling foul of traffic police will only become worse through Africa. Slow down to 50/60 km/hr or less, through even the smallest village. You do get fined for speeding even with no speed limit signs. To get trapped on the open road is a bad mistake. Even on seemingly good condition roads you should not be exceeding the speed. One needs to travel fairly slowly to allow for the unexpected vagaries of fellow drivers, unsafe vehicles, and then plenty of large domestic animals animals and wild animals including elephants. These are black and can be difficult to see against the tarmac. Driving after dark is just too dangerous to contemplate. The speed humps before villages are difficult to see beforehand and are often un-signposted. Ramping these at speed can badly damage your suspension and spare wheel carriers.

You are already getting mechanical failures. The vehicle is already heavily loaded, the roads are rough and the vehicle takes periods of prolonged hammering. Have mercy on the vehicle by travelling as slowly as needed. Having consideration and respect for your vehicle and the conditions, will save you a lot of heartache. Plan to travel reasonable daily distances and never rush.

When fined, pay the fine and tell them you want a receipt. It is often the case of paying as lesser amount if a receipt is not required. The official then pockets this cash for himself, this corruption and bribery just perpetuates the problem and results in many spurious fines by traffic officials just to increase their income. Please don't do it!

You need eyes in the back of your head to watch fellow road users, both drivers, animals and pedestrians. Expect them to do the most ridiculous things at the most unexpected times. Driving is the biggest single hazard of your trip.

You are already learning very quickly. Your most important and possibly difficult task, is to keep your wife happy, involved, interested and make her feel like an important part of the team. The original idea of this sort of travel was often primarily the man's. At regular intervals eat out or upgrade for a couple of nights in a smart lodge, just to keep the home fires burning. Take up some of the chores such as cooking and washing up and generally spoil your wife and help her to live your dream.

If you continue to play this African travel game wisely, you have a wonderful time ahead of you. There is no coaching, training or advice to prepare for such a trip. Again, spoil the wife and work hard on the public relations between the two of you.

Enjoy, take your time, try the local food, take an interest in local customs and make friends. Most of us envy you deeply.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bud3 View Post
    ........... 6. Two Botswana speeding tickets due to lack of attention. Learned how to pay less than list price however on the fine however............
    Bud, people vary, but most sensible people would advise avoiding any shenanigans to pay lesser fines. This is simple bribery and corruption in many cases and is not the way people would behave back home. Any practice that corrupts the system and rewards crooks, whether travelers or officials, should be condemned. Insist on a receipt and pay the full fine. The greed of paying less will possibly come back to bite in the months to come should you have a fall-out with a corrupt official and I really do not want any talk of time locked up behind bars. You should not be embarking on such a trip if you cannot pay your honest way.

I don't know how we can expect officials to regard us with any respect when we are in fact the perpetuators of the major African sin of bribery and corruption. I am afraid you are just making matters worse for yourselves and future travelers by stooping to these lows. Place yourselves above such practices please. I am confident that these were very isolated instances and in fact you will be behaving exactly as I "preach".
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2021/10/01 at 04:06 AM.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Like Stan we are envious of your current travel. There is great value in scheduling some rest breaks on the sort of trip you are doing. These give you the chance relax if everything going as schedulue or to catch up to planned itinerary in the even of breakdowns of other challenges. A break can give you the opportunity be apart for a change which can be refreshing.
    Bungie injuries to the eye are not uncommon esp if S shaped end. Strongly recommend changing to tie-downs with cam buckles (such as Thule sell but many brands) Has the additional advantage of not stretching back and forward on bumpy roads so reduces wear and rubbing. Most outdoor shops and some fuel stations sell them. Useful for many things: tying down firewood, hanging hammock, that water container etc Sold in packs
    Enjoy the travelling.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to SANZ For This Useful Post:

Nice Bud, I like the 'grass roots' type of updates your are giving and including your setbacks as well. We all have them, every single one of us, but they don't always make it into sunny trip reports. However, these hickups need to be mentioned to learn from .

Stan makes good remarks, especially about speeding and traffic fines: always, always pay the full fine and ask for a receipt. There is no other way. And slow down when you see any form of settlement even if there are no speed restrictions posted. Other drivers may zoom past you, but stay at 60 kmph at the most. This is to not only avoid a speed fine, but a bigger tragedy like hitting a child, pedestrian, cyclist or livestock. I can speak for Botswana only and they value their livestock highly. Hitting a cow or goat is going to make a dent in your wallet and time.

I have a healthy fear of bungee cords and we don't use them anymore. I hope Mary's eye heals quickly. If you need a second opinion in Francistown, do let me know as I know a local doctor there personally. Have known him for 25 years and he is excellent.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/10/01 at 06:48 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast