Default VX 200 Cruisers for Sale

In the months leading up to the launch of the new 300 Cruiser - it seems there was a feeding frenzy for the outgoing VX 200 models. They were offered for sale in some instances way above list price and I know of a chap that bought 2 because "it is the last V8 Cruisers".

However, driving around Pretoria it is obvious that there are still 200's available with pricing having returned to normal.

I have a feeling a few fella's got their pockets shaken...........
    Jaco Nell

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Default Re: VX 200 Cruisers for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    In the months leading up to the launch of the new 300 Cruiser - it seems there was a feeding frenzy for the outgoing VX 200 models. They were offered for sale in some instances way above list price and I know of a chap that bought 2 because "it is the last V8 Cruisers".

However, driving around Pretoria it is obvious that there are still 200's available with pricing having returned to normal.

Oh yes, more than a few have lost out a lot. There is a 200 series that has come down 250k in its price from two months back and it is still not sold.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

Before the launch of the 300 I took a couple of screenshots of the ten most expensive 200s on Autotrader. Most of them are still for sale although the prices have dropped substantially.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Good example of how speculators drive a bubble market, I remember something similar when the old defender when out of production

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Lot of people thought that the 300 would be a disappointment, with its little 3.3/3.5 engines.
    Turned out it wasnt the case and people actually want the 300. So much that there is a long, long waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    Lot of people thought that the 300 would be a disappointment, with its little 3.3/3.5 engines.
    Turned out it wasnt the case and people actually want the 300. So much that there is a long, long waiting list.
    Exactly. Now one could argue that if you can afford a SUV north of a bar, 200 grand or so this way or that way is immaterial.......

If it was me, heck, I would be throwing a temper-tantrum every 5 minutes for a long time to come.
    Jaco Nell

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Good example of how speculators drive a bubble market, I remember something similar when the old defender when out of production
    the defender market is still the case though. Crazy prices for those old things still
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Exactly. Now one could argue that if you can afford a SUV north of a bar, 200 grand or so this way or that way is immaterial.......

If it was me, heck, I would be throwing a temper-tantrum every 5 minutes for a long time to come.
    The long waiting list is due to lack of stock, not too many buyers. I have spoken to 7 dealers in the past week whilst looking for a Prado for a friend. Some only getting one 300 and some have 2 until Feb next year. 3 of the dealers have 5 people on list and the other 4 have 6-7 whereas Prado lists are 20plus. By the time the 300 lands the price increase in 1 Jan will be in effect. I have only seen 1 on the road so far. New cars are scarce due to shortage of imported stock.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    The long waiting list is due to lack of stock, not too many buyers. I have spoken to 7 dealers in the past week whilst looking for a Prado for a friend. Some only getting one 300 and some have 2 until Feb next year. 3 of the dealers have 5 people on list and the other 4 have 6-7 whereas Prado lists are 20plus. By the time the 300 lands the price increase in 1 Jan will be in effect. I have only seen 1 on the road so far. New cars are scarce due to shortage of imported stock.
    I have already seen a handfull of 300's on the road. Agreed that stock shortages drives waiting lists at the moment.

However, the argument was just that demand for the 200 went through the roof and then through the floor. Because of price manipulation.
    Jaco Nell

Even though the price of the 200 came down most are still above the original new model prices for the specific year.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Even though the price of the 200 came down most are still above the original new model prices for the specific year.
    100%, still priced very high, but they still not selling. Well that's the 2019,2020,2021 models.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    Oh yes, more than a few have lost out a lot. There is a 200 series that has come down 250k in its price from two months back and it is still not sold.
    I bought my VX-R in January, did 2000km and in April traded it in on a Hilux (for various reasons and no making money was not one of them, that was just a by product).

I made R120K and the dealer that ended up with my vehicle advertised it for R2m. Over a 4 month period they gradually dropped the price to where it now is still on autotrader for R1.695, only 9.5k more than what I sold it for.

There was some money to be made on the V8 VX-R but some sellers got greedy (yes R250K over the R120k I already made I think is a tad greedy) and if you invested that amount of money and have not moved it in 4 months you have lost money. The 300 release came a tad early maybe for some venture capitalist and then also turned out to be better than anticipated with the “small” V6, as already mentioned....sometimes you win and other times you learn.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AB1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AB1 View Post
    The 300 release came a tad early maybe for some venture capitalist and then also turned out to be better than anticipated with the “small” V6, as already mentioned....sometimes you win and other times you learn.
    goes to prove that bigger is not always better

I have seen the same happen in the Middle East, truth is there are 200s gathering dust everywhere and the 300 are flying off the shelves faster than they can be replaced. I was an early adopter, the price of mine has gone up £5000 since purchase and people are paying it.
    This 300 is such a significantly improved beast I can’t think why anybody would want a less powerful, thirstier, slower, smaller, less comfortable model any more.
    I am still grinning driving mine, the engine grunt it satisfying and it is so much smoother through the gears.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smiler1 For This Useful Post:

Perfect storm driven mainly by the global chip crisis. The dealers have huge backlogs to try and satisfy but supply is very slow of all premium models. I have had my name on a new Prado since March and there is no sight or sound of one-can get the odd TX, but nothing else. Here comes the next problem-that the Prado delay has resulted in Toyota to bring the new post 150 model forwards to 2022. That is going to result in baulking on the 150's when they do arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiler1 View Post
    I have seen the same happen in the Middle East, truth is there are 200s gathering dust everywhere and the 300 are flying off the shelves faster than they can be replaced. I was an early adopter, the price of mine has gone up £5000 since purchase and people are paying it.
    This 300 is such a significantly improved beast I can’t think why anybody would want a less powerful, thirstier, slower, smaller, less comfortable model any more.
    I am still grinning driving mine, the engine grunt it satisfying and it is so much smoother through the gears.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    You need to get out more.

Seriously though, I have seen a lot of new cruisers, but then quite a few of those were on the road from Dbn driving up to JHB. Probably going to those few dealers that have an allocation?

Driving around midrand, not nearly as many like you say. Saw one of the moms in one at the kids school, and a few on the way back from the weekend mountain biking, but you are right, they are not exactly out in droves right now. I am not in the market for one, but I am sure they are awesome vehicles and I am sure the prospective new owners will enjoy them.

I am also sure that Toyota will manage their manufacturing better and start to ramp volumes to meet the available demand. I am sure they will not want to loose those potential sales to competitors.

I saw one on the road in Centurion the other day and then also one on the dealer floor, but couldn't get close as it was waiting for its new owner. The salesman commented that anyone who hasn't got their name on a list yet will be very lucky to still get one this year, that they can't make them fast enough but chips is also a huge problem as with many things these days.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    I saw one on the road in Centurion the other day and then also one on the dealer floor, but couldn't get close as it was waiting for its new owner. The salesman commented that anyone who hasn't got their name on a list yet will be very lucky to still get one this year, that they can't make them fast enough but chips is also a huge problem as with many things these days.
    Or they can just buy the overpriced ones on Autotrader. There are always around 10 300's for sale.

I see at least one or two per day on my daily travels in Pretoria and Johannesburg.