Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Plat car tires

Default Re: Plat car tires

I looked on internet who sells Falken. One link said Hi-Q. I missed Hi-Q earlier today. They are just around the corner. "No we do not sell them" But they have those GoodYear on special. About R400 saving PER TIRE. Buy 3 and get one free. Their Mags are also cheaper. I cannot figure out where A-line is importing the Mags. Maybe from China.

What was interesting is that the bloke phoned to get the list of approved mags, e.g. off-set is correct. 17 designs to choose - gave 2021 collection brochure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne P View Post
    I have used Falken in the past without any issue. I am replacing crap soon on our I20 with some Falken

Falken
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I went to many tire places. The following is available:

- No stock
    - Korean made (many brands). Please go and check the text on tire. It is Korean. Please check. Yes Boss. Made in China. Not only Korean brands but some semi premium also.
    - Chines makes having many "brand names"
    - Very expensive premium brands but not many available

- Locally made GoodYear Efficient Grip. Over R1300.00 per tire.

Two places actually did a proper check. Asked what car, what is the original size, used some computer program... Tire&More and Tiger Wheel and Tire. 185/65 R14 is "out of speck". 185/70 R14 is in speck. They actually wanted to sell and had some technical knowledge.

It is wider than the original. Better to buy new rims. (Car has steel now.) Less change of a side wall damage. All inclusive about R10 000.00. Early end of year present for SWAMBO. Better than a vacuum cleaner

Recommendation: Do not trust what these blokes say. Check everything. In one place the sales guy "nearly fell of the chair" because he has been selling Korean tires but they are Chinese. I burned my fingers one time. Not again.

I was told by a person who has had those GoodYears that they are good but 2nd opinion would be nice.

P.S. I always check the speedo. In the past using those blue marker boards on the side of the road plus stop watch. Today we have navigators so I use those and SWAMBO does the same.
    I would get a second opinion regarding the rim being too narrow for 185's, 20mm on the outside of the tire (10mm/side) should be well within margins unless the original rims are marginal to begin with.

Regarding Chinese manufacture even iPhones are made in China, I don't like it much, but seems to be the situation we are in now...

Also try ErrolsTires, they seem to have many options...

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

My platkar tyre buying method is fool proof.
    You walk in to hi-Q and ask for the cheapest of (insert required tyre size).
    They provide you with 5 tyres.
    You negotiate a little discount with some frivolous reasoning, and almost always get one.
    Done.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Old rims should be so so and would work. If SWAMBO finds mags she likes I will get them. Right size and in 20 + years she has had no steel. I have lost tires due to side wall issues. I stopped using Conti, excluding Smart, because of one side wall failure and on heavy car tires were too wobbly. Was really difficult tire on my first Ford Fairmont. Thin side wall. Smart is sensitive for tires. I will only use what it comes with. Learned my lesson.

Far out of topic:
    On the phones one Baltic country is asking people to stop using Chinese phones. Quite a big story within EU. Security service found all kind of stuff that should not be there. Facilities are not activated but small update and censorship etc. clicks in.
    https://www.is.fi/digitoday/tietotur...008283666.html

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I would get a second opinion regarding the rim being too narrow for 185's, 20mm on the outside of the tire (10mm/side) should be well within margins unless the original rims are marginal to begin with.

Regarding Chinese manufacture even iPhones are made in China, I don't like it much, but seems to be the situation we are in now...

Also try ErrolsTires, they seem to have many options...
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Old rims should be so so and would work. If SWAMBO finds mags she likes I will get them. Right size and in 20 + years she has had no steel. I have lost tires due to side wall issues. I stopped using Conti, excluding Smart, because of one side wall failure and on heavy car tires were too wobbly. Was really difficult tire on my first Ford Fairmont. Thin side wall. Smart is sensitive for tires. I will only use what it comes with. Learned my lesson.

Far out of topic:
    On the phones one Baltic country is asking people to stop using Chinese phones. Quite a big story within EU. Security service found all kind of stuff that should not be there. Facilities are not activated but small update and censorship etc. clicks in.
    https://www.is.fi/digitoday/tietotur...008283666.html
    I almost always go wider and have never had a problem, 20mm and up, but if you can get a nice looking alloy wheel and it gives you better options in future it is worth considering.

If you are making the change perhaps consider going up from 14" to a larger rim?

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

SWAMBO did get new set today. GoodYear Efficient grip. R3600.00 for the tires fitted and R4400.00 A Line mags. What I did not know is the 3 year warranty on GoodYear. If the tire is damaged beyond repair (pothole etc.) we pay only tire wear. Apparently you can update that to fully covered.

Tire place said that A Line mags are locally made and that they are precision items, never issues. They just fit perfectly. Nuts are "special".

I took the car in. Those Apollo tires were spinning and ABS was overworked when braking - wet roads. Much better on the new set. I managed to spin a bit one time when trying hard.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2