Default Amarok Rear Brake Drum Removal Guidance/Help Needed

Hi All,

Today I decided to do some maintenance work on my Amarok.

Part of my todo list was to remove, inspect and clean rear brake drums.

Easy part was to get car up in the air and wheels removed, but now I am struggling for few hours to get the drums removed.

I removed lock spindle screw and got the drums loosen, but it just will not come off.

Seems the brake shoes are catching the ridge.

I believe there is some sort adjuster I need to release and can not for the hell of it find it or figure it out.

There are 2x service slots on inner side of drum, but I cannot see anything obvious.

I have spent some time googling but cannot find anything constructive, perhaps I am just bit impatient.

After few hours of struggling I decided to get some dirt on my keyboard and ask if somebody here on forums can advise on procedure.

Any help/advice will be very much appreciated, many thanks.

Cheers,
    Dave
    2011 VW Amarok 2.0 BiTDI (I my AmaTROKKIE)
    2012 Audi A5 2.0 TDi (Previous)
    2005 VW Touareg R5 TDi (Previous)

Default Re: Amarok Rear Brake Drum Removal Guidance/Help Needed

Dave, I will assume that all of these bakkies have a similar rear brake drum set-up where the clearance between the drum and the side shaft stub is very small. It is usually at this point where some corrosion occurs between the surfaces and causes the drum to stick. I had the same problem on my Isuzu and also battled to get the rear brake drums off.
    Once I managed to get the drums off, using a hammer and screwdrivers, I cleaned the surface up and applied a thin film off copper-slip prior to reassembly.
    Good luck, I hope that you come right. You can also spray some WD40 or similar on the side stub and drum to help get things going.

https://youtu.be/1SNW4spczrI

This video helped me.
    2012 132kw Amarok D/C highline 4x2.(Sold)
    2016 132kw Amarok D/C highline 4x2 Auto 8)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hleroux For This Useful Post:

Red face Re: Amarok Rear Brake Drum Removal Guidance/Help Needed

Hi,

Many thanks for the feedback and video.

My bakkie's rear wheels and drums came loose much-much easier than the one in the video.

My problem is that the brake shoes are catching on the ridge on outer edge of the drum.

I have pulled with quite some force, but it just does not want to budge.

I know that I need to release the adjuster or something so that the brake shoes can retract more in order to clear the ridge.

I was struggling the whole time time trying to adjust the adjuster spindle or what you call it.

But from video one can see that it can only turn in one direction to adjust brakes upwards....

Looks like loosening e-brake cable might be the trick, can it be so simple....

I will have a look again tomorrow and see.

Once again many thanks...
    Last edited by Romzotwa; 2021/09/25 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romzotwa View Post
    Hi,

Many thanks for the feedback and video.

My bakkie's rear wheels and drums came loose much-much easier than the one in the video.

My problem is that the brake shoes are catching on the ridge on outer edge of the drum.

I have pulled with quite some force, but it just does not want to budge.

I know that I need to release the adjuster or something so that the brake shoes can retract more in order to clear the ridge.

I was struggling the whole time time trying to adjust the adjuster spindle or what you call it.

But from video one can see that it can only turn in one direction to adjust brakes upwards....

Looks like loosening e-brake cable might be the trick, can it be so simple....

I will have a look again tomorrow and see.

Once again many thanks...
    Actually did this a while ago. The adjuster can turn both ways, and you can loosen the handbrake adjuster near the center of the diff as well. You need to insert a flat screwdriver into the slot on the inside of the drum, and adjust upwards or downwards depending on which side.

Groetnis

Koos

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

There should be a thread or perhaps two in the drum itself. It should be around m6-m8. Take a bolt that fits, insert it into the hole and just start to screw it in.

I would also give the drums a good klap with a rubber mallet from the front and rear. That will often be enough to push the brakes in enough to clear the brakes. Then just screw in the bolt, wiggle the drum from time to time and remove. It should come out pretty easily.

I found clear instructions below on another thread on this forum: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/229900-Amarok-PDF-files-and-recalls?p=3611658#post3611658

BrakeSystems.pdf -> 2.4 Resetting drum brakes (Page 31).

Kudos to @WillemT for sharing these resources.

The procedure on second image is what I just could not figure out on my own.

I guess I will try again tomorrow and see if I can get the drums removed....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	632282
    Last edited by Romzotwa; 2021/10/08 at 11:40 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Romzotwa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    There should be a thread or perhaps two in the drum itself. It should be around m6-m8. Take a bolt that fits, insert it into the hole and just start to screw it in.

I would also give the drums a good klap with a rubber mallet from the front and rear. That will often be enough to push the brakes in enough to clear the brakes. Then just screw in the bolt, wiggle the drum from time to time and remove. It should come out pretty easily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture01.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	632285