Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Why do Springboks kick so much posession away?

I am curious to know why our Boks kick posession away when in my uninformed view I see running opportunities.

My guess is that this involves Pollard and de Klerk playing under strict instructions, or if not so and they do have the freedom of choice, they are not the appropriate choices for those positions.

I feel this way because with a different approach to kicking we could easily have won against the All Blacks today.

Am I missing something?
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Why do Springboks kick so much posession away?

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    I am curious to know why our Boks kick posession away when in my uninformed view I see running opportunities.

My guess is that this involves Pollard and de Klerk playing under strict instructions, or if not so and they do have the freedom of choice, they are not the appropriate choices for those positions.

I feel this way because with a different approach to kicking we could easily have won against the All Blacks today.

Am I missing something?
    The bomb squad has also been something that has been over utilized in recent games.

Time for a new approach, something other teams have not been used to.
    Sent from my iPhone

Totally agree Poen. Very frustrating!

We had the game. I am a big Pollard fan and know him personally since shool days but something is off there.

Good to see Kolisi and Kwagga Smit perform big time. Many facets working well and then we kick it away.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

I'm not as much against the kicking game as many others, it will always be 50-50 kicks and if they work, they work big time. Today many of them actually worked in the sense that it put the AB's under pressure and we won back the ball on many occasions only to make a secondary mistake.

With that being said I hate the fact that it's practically the only thing in Faf's arsenal, everyone knows that he will just kick and kick each and every time. There was a stage in today's game in the second half when we were on the front foot big time after a turnover, a bit of loose play and by just keeping ball in hand we could have easily scored, but then rather than just distributing to the next guy Faf kicked it away. This tells me that he is not allowed or he can't read the game and make a decision in the moment, based on what's happening at the time.

Kolisi had a very good game and so did Kwagga, Marco also had a cracker off the bench. I believe the idea with bringing on Steyn was for long kicks, maybe a drop goal, but they should have put him on earlier IMHO.

A great game of rugby all and all and even though we had it, even though we made stupid mistakes, I don't mind losing to the AB's that much in such a fashion.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Om teen die AB te verloor met 2 punte is vir my erger as om met 20 punte teen hulle te verloor.

Toe Jantjies daai up n' under skop (2min oor) op die AB se 10 tree lyn, toe k.ak ek 'n otter. Hulle moes net die bal in hand hou en die strafskop afdwing. Een skop pale toe (dis hoekom Steyn opgebring was) en ons het gewen.

Ek het nie issue as die springbokke die skop game wil speel nie, maar soms moet hulle weet wanneer om te skop en wanneer om die bal te hou.

Ek is bly Kwagga het 'n goeie game gehad.
    Last edited by MANDREAS; 2021/09/25 at 01:01 PM.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

The Ford driving Bi.......turbo ricoffy drinkin' man.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

With 5 mins to go and in the lead I would have thought possession is everything and all need to win.

But they go kick it away. Boggles my mind....
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

I was screaming at the TV please don't kick... And then Faf kicks while we in their half! Possession lost, pressure back on us. I understand there are times to kick but this game, I feel we literally kicked the game away.

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Om teen die AB te verloor met 2 punte is vir my erger as om met 20 punte teen hulle te verloor.

Toe Jantjies daai up n' under skop (2min oor) op die AB se 10 tree lyn, toe k.ak ek 'n otter. Hulle moes net die bal in hand hou en die strafskop afdwing. Een skop pale toe (dis hoekom Steyn opgebring was) en ons het gewen.

Ek het nie issue as die springbokke die skop game wil speel nie, maar soms moet hulle weet wanneer om te skop en wanneer om die bal te hou.

Ek is bly Kwagga het 'n goeie game gehad.

Jip "the move" soos wat hulle in die WC gebruik het sou daar perfek gewerk het om 'n strafskop af te dwing.
    Ek hou van Kwagga as 'n fetcher, ek sal bly wees as hy homself kan vestig as nommer 1 keuse in die span.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

There was a spell of the game in the last quarter that we didn’t kick and in was lots running to our 22 the the AB 22. High tempo

I think we would have lost by a bigger margin if we did not kick them into there half every chance we got in order stop them playing in our half.

also, our try came from one of those faf kicks and a mistake from an AB.

I hope Kolbe is fit for next weekend

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Frustrating is the word….look at when Faf and Pollie play for their EU clubs, not nearly as much kicking as when they play for the Boks.

Maybe it’s just me but since Mapimpi went to play Japanese rugby the only thing he’s doing good lately is shrugging his shoulders and pointing - obviously learnt that from Willie.

My humble opinion, Faf, Pollie, Mapimpi and Willie need to “work themselves” into the starting lineup. Willie again couldn’t cut a line even if he was the only player on the park….

I think the current touring squad is too big and there is a sense of entitlement at the moment….guys will only carry bags for so long.
    Jack

2005 Discovery 3 V8 HSE - 🤩
    2004 Discovery 2 TD5 GS - sold
    1996 Discovery 1 5.7lt Chevrolet 🤤 - sold
    1994 Defender 110 Hardtop 3.9 Auto Conversion - sold 🤑

Faf and Willie were utter garbage today, they have been crap for a while though.

That last kick with like two minutes left pretty much sums it up, there's no attacking intent or confidence. Pollard is an attacking FH so I'm sure it's instructions from the coach.

On second thoughts, it is said that statistically with an up and under you have at best a 50% chance of winning the ball back whilst risking a penalty or yellow card for playing the opponent whilst he has both his feet off the ground.

Why would one kick the ball away having only a 50% chance of winning it back when you have 100% garuanteed posession thereof before the kick? Testing the opponent under a high ball once in a while is understood, but persistence with it once you know they will catch it time and again is something I do not understand.

Apparently we won only 36% of those balls back against the AB. If Nienaber does not understand what percentages tells one then someone should enlighten him.
    Last edited by Poen; 2021/09/26 at 11:19 AM.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

I cannot claim to be a big rugby strategist, but if I were the captain with 6mins to go and you are 1 point ahead, and on the AB 22, I would have kept the ball amongst the forwards and tried to play the clock out.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    On second thoughts, it is said that statistically with an up and under you have at best a 50% chance of winning the ball back whilst risking a penalty or yellow card for playing the opponent whilst he has both his feet off the ground.

Why would one kick the ball away having only a 50% chance of winning it back when you have 100% guaranteed possession thereof before the kick? Testing the opponent under a high ball once in a while is understood, but persistence with it once you know they will catch it time and again is something I do not understand.
    100%....I made this exact point during the build-up to the 2019 world cup...they then changed to keeping the ball in the final and romped home to win the cup...catching England off guard.

I was honestly expecting the same again today...but no....
    2006 Defender 90 CSW Td 5
    Nissan Patrol 3 lt V-6 d/c - sold

Nothing is ever what it seems.....:

The ''Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the Sweetness of Low Price.....''

I am wondering if this is the end of the Springbok era as we know it.
    They had a great run, but although they beat the Lions, they didnt have it that easy, and against the Wallabies and All blacks, its game over.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    I am wondering if this is the end of the Springbok era as we know it.
    They had a great run, but although they beat the Lions, they didnt have it that easy, and against the Wallabies and All blacks, its game over.
    I think SA rugby held out for a long time but is now turning into a real south african team.
    Just look at the arrogance of faf when he said he will do it again.Soon we will battle to qualify for a world cup if nothing gets done.

Have we ever had any planned backline moves. Scissors here , dummy there.
    Practise during the week, give it a number. Maybe 3 a game ?
    Worked in my school days.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybritz View Post
    I think SA rugby held out for a long time but is now turning into a real south african team.
    Just look at the arrogance of faf when he said he will do it again.Soon we will battle to qualify for a world cup if nothing gets done.
    Come on! I am extremely disappointed but you don't hold off the AB's and nearly win without being good. A lot of people say the AB's played badly yesterday, but it is because the Boks disrupted them. The AB's are not as good as the hype would suggest. We have some very good players, we just need a different approach. Nothing a decent coach can't solve. The AB's were completely rattled for the most part yesterday.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

I don't know if I saw it here or on FB:

'N "box kick" in Afrikaans is 'n "doosskop". Maar as Faf dit doen, word dit twee woorde!

Anyways, we beat the Lions. But if we are brutally honest, they were not a great Lions side.

If we are even more honest, we have to admit that the current AB side is probably the worst since 2003. They have not gotten better since 2015.

The Wobblies are all over the show, and they gave us a proper hiding.

We are there or there about, but not brilliant.

I honestly don't believe there's much to choose between yeams 1-5 in the rankings, purely because none are really that good?

But I hope for the Boks and Nienaber we can bounce back next week and grab a consolation win. We're going to need it for the year end tour, if there is one.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Come on! I am extremely disappointed but you don't hold off the AB's and nearly win without being good. A lot of people say the AB's played badly yesterday, but it is because the Boks disrupted them. The AB's are not as good as the hype would suggest. We have some very good players, we just need a different approach. Nothing a decent coach can't solve. The AB's were completely rattled for the most part yesterday.
    I agree with you but after we rattled them we never attacked them we just kept on kicking.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast