Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Looking for a 4X4 BAKKIE pref Diesel and I have a question

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about the drive line, that should last long unless seriously abused. Clutch is a ware item that could be close to finished at 200k km. I would look carefully at the service history, also run the vin number, although at that mileage you are likely to only get half the story.
    I drive a Mazda2.6i and I really enjoy the bakkie. It was an old Telkom truck and obivously saw some serious abuse. Your comment about the drive train is not very accurate. The Mazda like the older Fords used a drive chain in the 4x4 gearbox. These do have the habit of stretching and is very expensive to replace. Like most cars at around 250k on the clock it will need some preventative maintance such as CV Joints, clutch and probably components of the front suspension. I chose to do significant preventative maintenance at 260k including top, rings, bearings, ball joints, upper control arm and CV joints. In all it cost me around R40k. The bakkie feels as good as new and on top of all the fuel consumption improved a bit. It will be with me for a good number of years still. I do consider it one of my better buys.

Quote Originally Posted by omkeerpunt View Post
    I drive a Mazda2.6i and I really enjoy the bakkie. It was an old Telkom truck and obivously saw some serious abuse. Your comment about the drive train is not very accurate. The Mazda like the older Fords used a drive chain in the 4x4 gearbox. These do have the habit of stretching and is very expensive to replace. Like most cars at around 250k on the clock it will need some preventative maintance such as CV Joints, clutch and probably components of the front suspension. I chose to do significant preventative maintenance at 260k including top, rings, bearings, ball joints, upper control arm and CV joints. In all it cost me around R40k. The bakkie feels as good as new and on top of all the fuel consumption improved a bit. It will be with me for a good number of years still. I do consider it one of my better buys.
    Well I did say "unless seriously abused", but fair point if there is slop in the drive line and the CV's are shot then it would need some work, and if it is a TC chain replacement it won't be cheap.

Adding another R40k to an already tight budget would make this a no longer viable option in my opinion.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

"It was an old Telkom truck"

Abuse is then not even speculated, it is a given................
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2