Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for a 4X4 BAKKIE pref Diesel and I have a question

I am a week or 2 from being able to buy a 4X4 bakkie for touring in December AND sleeping in the back because i dont like tents. My budget is R 120k tops but it is cash. Not looking for a every day vehicle but reliability is a must and I will be doing desert sand places and high gravel passes in Lesotho BUT NO 4x4 competitions and places like Koos se Klip etc. Fuel consumption is an issue on my budget. If i buy a 2600i Petrol Mazda for instance will the consumption be much more that a 4x4 KB Diesel bakkie ?

Default Re: Looking for a 4X4 BAKKIE pref Diesel and I have a question

Quote Originally Posted by Spykid View Post
    I am a week or 2 from being able to buy a 4X4 bakkie for touring in December AND sleeping in the back because i dont like tents. My budget is R 120k tops but it is cash. Not looking for a every day vehicle but reliability is a must and I will be doing desert sand places and high gravel passes in Lesotho BUT NO 4x4 competitions and places like Koos se Klip etc. Fuel consumption is an issue on my budget. If i buy a 2600i Petrol Mazda for instance will the consumption be much more that a 4x4 KB Diesel bakkie ?
    Those 2.6's are practically indestructible, just ask all the ESKOM and TELKOM tech back when they were still allowed to drive the company bakkies.
    But, they are heavily on fuel. Similar to the 2.4 NP300 and 2.7 Hilux.
    14-16L/100km normal, unladend tar cruising.
    Expect high 18's in sand and technical/low-range, laden driving.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C - many, many mods.
    '10 Toyota LC150 1GR-FE VX - stock
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré - stock with some farkles
    - Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to swakop_toe For This Useful Post:

'00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C - many, many mods.
    '10 Toyota LC150 1GR-FE VX - stock
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré - stock with some farkles
    - Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. -

On the open road, there is little difference, say 2 l/100k extra. As soon as you go off-road (i.e. slow driving in lower gears), the difference becomes massive.

Example, a friend had a petrol Prado. On the open road he matched fuel consumption with my diesel Defender. For the 4 days in the Kgalagadi, very little other than gravel roads at low speed, he used 7l per 100k more than I did.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Your question is quite broad, but generally speaking a petrol engine will consume more fuel than a similar diesel engine. Diesel engines have more components that can fail, so can sometimes be more costly to maintain. These are very broad and general comment though...

For sand driving a petrol engine is generally considered better due to being able to rev higher and keep in the same gear for longer (like during climbs).

I think your budget would limit you to higher mileage/older bakkies, especially since you need 4x4.

Do you have any specifics in mind as the advice would be more tailored to your exact situation.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Your question is quite broad, but generally speaking a petrol engine will consume more fuel than a similar diesel engine. Diesel engines have more components that can fail, so can sometimes be more costly to maintain. These are very broad and general comment though...

For sand driving a petrol engine is generally considered better due to being able to rev higher and keep in the same gear for longer (like during climbs).

I think your budget would limit you to higher mileage/older bakkies, especially since you need 4x4.

Do you have any specifics in mind as the advice would be more tailored to your exact situation.
    Thank you Commander: Nissan Np 300 Diesel looks awesome but the Mazda may be more in the bracket. And i would prefer 200 000 km approx. I trust the engines but would not want to sit with a diff or gearbox issue with a wife and a small child somewhere on a mountain
    But thanx for all the responses

Quote Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
    Those 2.6's are practically indestructible, just ask all the ESKOM and TELKOM tech back when they were still allowed to drive the company bakkies.
    But, they are heavily on fuel. Similar to the 2.4 NP300 and 2.7 Hilux.
    14-16L/100km normal, unladend tar cruising.
    Expect high 18's in sand and technical/low-range, laden driving.
    Thank you I was not sure about the 2,6 Mazda engine

Thank you Commander: Nissan Np 300 Diesel looks awesome but the Mazda may be more in the bracket. And i would prefer 200 000 km approx. I trust the engines but would not want to sit with a diff or gearbox issue with a wife and a small child somewhere on a mountain
    But thanx for all the responses
    I wouldn't be too worried about the drive line, that should last long unless seriously abused. Clutch is a ware item that could be close to finished at 200k km. I would look carefully at the service history, also run the vin number, although at that mileage you are likely to only get half the story.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to buy, do your homework.

Is this a single cab? If I may ask what is the plan regarding a car seat?

I am sure the Mazda and Nissan experts will be along shortly with specifics on those bakkies.

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

When I look at your expectations, use case and budget, I wonder whether you would be able to find something suitable, 4x4 with that mileage.
    I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but have you considered renting an equipped 4x4 camping bakkie?
    To me it sounds like you won't need a lot of customisation. You would get a relatively recent vehicle with low diesel consumption and good reliability, I would think.
    Reason why I suggest thinking about this is, 2nd hand 4x4 vehicles are very expensive at the moment and by 2022, once the chip crisis has recovered, the availability of new vehicles will lead in turn to the availability to more 2nd hand vehicles and lower prices.
    Might be a better time to buy then.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Petrol tends to be more reliable at high mileage. That being said, an NP300 YD25 is as good as it gets for a simple, strong turbo diesel. You should get a decent single cab 4x4 in your price range.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Been looking at used bakkies a lot at dealers recently, and for R120k you will not find much.

Do you want double cab or single cab?
    Attie

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Been looking at used bakkies a lot at dealers recently, and for R120k you will not find much.

Do you want double cab or single cab?
    Single cab. I will ride the gazebo and other odds in the canopy while on tour and take it out and lock it to vehicle at night and sleep in the back of vehicle. The only "fitment" would be a secure type of fridge

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about the drive line, that should last long unless seriously abused. Clutch is a ware item that could be close to finished at 200k km. I would look carefully at the service history, also run the vin number, although at that mileage you are likely to only get half the story.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to buy, do your homework.

Is this a single cab? If I may ask what is the plan regarding a car seat?

I am sure the Mazda and Nissan experts will be along shortly with specifics on those bakkies.
    Single cab. I will ride the gazebo and other odds in the canopy while on tour and take it out and lock it to vehicle at night and sleep in the back of vehicle. The only "fitment" would be a securely mounted type of fridge in the back. Chairs, spade etc will ride in the back

Thanx for all the responses. Things is I have crossed the country on a motorcycle since 2015. From JHB, LImpopo, Die Hell, baviaans, Cederberg, Transkei and Lesotho. But thing is it gets lonely and Lodge sleepover fees is VERY expensive for our locals with the weak rand. So i would rather invest in a reliable 4x4 and take my girl and kid with. Will fit a secure canopy and take it from there. Thanx guys and have a great weekend

If you are looking at the 2.6 mazda, what about a similar vintage ford/Mazda 2.5 tdi, the WL engines are as bullet proof as they come, and a fair bit less thirsty
    Ranger Wildtrak
    Ex Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamtheman For This Useful Post:

Ok, I will be that guy, but have you considered a SUV?

An SUV has a couple of advantages above a bakkie an if you are planing on fitting a canopy in any case the ability of a bakkie to load building rubble and grass clippings is reduced in any case.

There are plenty of options in your price bracket: Pajero, Pajero Sport (I had to start with those didn't I?), Jeep GC, Haval, RAV4, Fortuner (very high mileage but hey, they don't ever break), x-trail, Tucson, Disco 1 and 2, the list goes on. (Decide on how extreme 4x4 you will be doing and drop the softroaders from the list if you like.)

I very much like the fact that you can fold down half the bench and have extra packing space (as well as probably a 12v plug for your fridge, but you have the option to keep one seat upright for your kid.

And you could conceivably sleep equally well in the back of an SUV as you could in the back of a bakkie.

I am probably biased since I have owned a number of SUV's, but there is M2CW.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210925-233314_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	630909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210925-233254_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	630910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210925-233411_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	630911

This would be my choise.

The bench seat is practical for a kid in the front.
    Kb 280 motor is generally reliable if properly maintained.
    Kb 280 motor is economical on diesel.
    The Kb 280 has a comfortable suspension on the long road.
    Spares are readily available and generally well priced.
    Easy to self service.
    Very capable vehicle.
    You will get your money back when you sell.
    The KB 300 single cab 4x4 is also a great option.
    If you can find a Isuzu Frontier 280 4x4 , that will also be on my list of options.( perhaps the best option for safety for a family of 3 or more).
    I am not sure if the bench seat in the single cab have seatbelts for a 3rd person in the middle ).

Look for the best maintained one of any of the above options or just go for the Frontier.

They also come in 3.2lt petrol variants , but thirsty on fuel according to some owners. You can get the petrol one for a little less money than the diesel.

Just my personal biased opinions. I drive a Isuzu.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rudi Maritz For This Useful Post:

2012 Ford Everest 3.0 TDCi XLT 4x4
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...urban/7605975/

Something like this might be an option if you can negotiate on the price a bit.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi Maritz View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210925-233314_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	630909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210925-233254_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	630910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210925-233411_Samsung Internet.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	630911

This would be my choise.

The bench seat is practical for a kid in the front.
    Kb 280 motor is generally reliable if properly maintained.
    Kb 280 motor is economical on diesel.
    The Kb 280 has a comfortable suspension on the long road.
    Spares are readily available and generally well priced.
    Easy to self service.
    Very capable vehicle.
    You will get your money back when you sell.
    The KB 300 single cab 4x4 is also a great option.
    If you can find a Isuzu Frontier 280 4x4 , that will also be on my list of options.( perhaps the best option for safety for a family of 3 or more).
    I am not sure if the bench seat in the single cab have seatbelts for a 3rd person in the middle ).

Look for the best maintained one of any of the above options or just go for the Frontier.

They also come in 3.2lt petrol variants , but thirsty on fuel according to some owners. You can get the petrol one for a little less money than the diesel.

Just my personal biased opinions. I drive a Isuzu.
    Yes thank you. I am very keen on Isuzu also , and thing is bakkie will stand most of the time because i have bikes and other vehicles for commute

its a pity the 2004-2006 Ranger never came in a single cab 4x4, that would fit right into the budget. the supercabs go for that, but the load bin is smaller than a single cab.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast