Default medical assistance Kgaligadi

Has anyone had a need for Medical help in Kgaligadi. I am an elderly overlander of many years and now no longer have a travelling companion. I am healthy but need to know what assistance I could get should I need medical assistance whilst at Kgaligadi. does the staff provide any assistance on site or to Upington.

Default Re: medical assistance Kgaligadi

Quote Originally Posted by jack swart View Post
    Has anyone had a need for Medical help in Kgaligadi. I am an elderly overlander of many years and now no longer have a travelling companion. I am healthy but need to know what assistance I could get should I need medical assistance whilst at Kgaligadi. does the staff provide any assistance on site or to Upington.
    Most SANPARKS have well established medical protocols with doctors on standby and EVAC procedures in place, I can't see why Kgalagadi would be any different. I am unsure about Botswana's readiness but I do know that in emergency situations that they elicit assistance from SA.

Agree, but whatever protocols they may have, the remoteness may count against you

Contact Tuff Stuff assurance. As fare I know they do have something like that in there policy's.
    They can give good info

As far as I am aware there is no medical assistance in Kgalagadi.
    The nearest hospital is Upington - Mediclinic. I would imagine SANParks would use this facility for emergencies. Consider it is a 3 hour drive! If one was staying at Nossob or Mata it would take an additional 3 hours to reach Upington exiting the Park at Twee Rivieren.

I believe there is a clinic at Askham which is about 70km from Kgalagadi.
    I have never visited the clinic only staffed by a nurse?

Best ask SANParks at Twee Rivieren for advice.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2021/09/24 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Addition

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Satellite phone and Lear Jet.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spliffcat For This Useful Post:

Tweerivieren has a non-commercial landing facility a 1.8km tarred landing strip in good condition that evidently can accommodate aircraft of up to 5,500 kg (Kingair 200 or equivalent).

And Nossob has a landing strip.

I don't think either are in use - maybe only for game counting?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Do the Okavango air rescue guys service that area?

The last time we were at Nossob I saw a light plane landing and being parked in a hangar. I spoke to the pilot who was a game ranger stationed at Nossob.

I guess one could enquire about that plane's availability for an emergency flight to Upington.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

If I needed urgent hospital attention in Kgaligadi I would speak urgently to the senior park staff member on duty and ask him to arrange for an advanced life-support ambulance with paramedics to head our way immediately. I would then immediately, in my own vehicle with my wife driving, head for Upington to meet them on the road. I believe that this would usually lead to a quicker evacuation than trying to organize a mercy air evacuation by air.

Most would be amazed how effectively topline paramedics can institute treatment within an advanced life-support ambulance, whilst rushing on the road back to a definitive hospital.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Make sure you have your medical aid sorted for travel. If I am going to travel across our borders I always inform them of my route ie countries being visited. Tuff Stuff is an option but if you have a Med Aid speak to them first as most cover some Southern African countries and if not offer travel insurance.

Stan’s post will work if traveling with a partner or in a group. But in the OP’s case he will be on his own. SANParks personnel will assist where possible. Consider a Sat phone and have the necessary emergency numbers. Such as Med Aid emergency, TR numbers, family member/friend.

If stuck with a medical issue or any breakdown whilst off the beaten track make calls to inform TR personnel of your predicament. Also call your family member/friend to let them know what’s happening.

It is good practice to have someone on standby “at home” in case of an emergency. Also, whilst on your travels, constantly let them know of your actual progress (as prearranged with them). They should have your itinerary.

PS Have a suitable first-aid kit with you.
    Last edited by TRON; 2021/09/26 at 08:51 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post: