Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Suspension component Help

Looking for some help please on trying to identify a suspension component on my trailer? Please forgive me if it's a silly question, but does anybody know what the marked part of the suspension is? I've also included a zoomed in picture. It's a 10 leaf spring suspension setup with Gabriel Safari shocks and then there is this component with one end attached to the axle and the other end to the chassis. Is it some kind of adjustable torsion bar? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Suspension component Help

On a coil sprung suspension that would be called a trailing arm. Why anyone would fit something like that on a leaf spring suspension on a non driven axle on a trailer is beyond me!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    On a coil sprung suspension that would be called a trailing arm. Why anyone would fit something like that on a leaf spring suspension on a non driven axle on a trailer is beyond me!
    I do agree Francois. That setup will put a lot of stress and strain on the leaf and those trailing arms.
    If it was my trailer I would remove them.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I can only agree with what has been said so far, only thing I can think is that the builder didn't have confidence in the spring over axle setup in use. A lower control arm/trailing link locates the axle front to back on a vehicle which is a job the leaf spring does very well without any help.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Its a combination trailing arm and adjustable "dampner" used to control the axel movement under varying loads independently per wheel.
    Last edited by Estee; 2021/09/24 at 08:49 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

Adjustable torque rods are the propper name.

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Fortuners have them as well, but they are not adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    Fortuners have them as well, but they are not adjustable.
    Isn't the Fortuner coil sprung?

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

Thanks Estee. I haven't seen another trailer with a setup like this, I bought it second hand and the guy I bought it from didn't seem to know what it was either. Do you agree that this is maybe doing more harm than good, based on some of the previous comments?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ljbezuidenhout For This Useful Post:

Common in the US and Oz.

Personnaly I dont think they will do any harm and will have been engineered, probably for a purpose.

Perhaps research their purpose and use before making a decision. You might fimd some advantages.

I would leave them but ensure they are equally adjusted.

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Common in the US and Oz.
    In conjunction with a leaf spring?
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Its a combination trailing arm and adjustable "dampner" used to control the axel movement under varying loads independently per wheel.
    I don't do this lightly as I very much respect your opinion, but I have to disagree with you on this one. It may be an adjustable torque rod, but it has no place on a leaf sprung undriven axle on a trailer.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ljbezuidenhout View Post
    Thanks Estee. I haven't seen another trailer with a setup like this, I bought it second hand and the guy I bought it from didn't seem to know what it was either. Do you agree that this is maybe doing more harm than good, based on some of the previous comments?
    How much use has this trailer seen? If it didn't cause any problems upto now why worry about it....it might not be the best design decision but is it giving any problems?
    Neil

21. The Following User Says Thank You to neoT For This Useful Post:

Not an engineer but if I recall its more in conjunction with a beam axel as opposed to the means of suspension.

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

After further research it does appear to be fairly common in leaf spring setups. I seem to find them being called traction bars and are intended to reduce/eliminate axle wrap or wheel hop (specifically found in leaf spring setups). Granted almost all examples I found online are for vehicles and not trailers, but it does seem to be installed for that reason.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ljbezuidenhout For This Useful Post:

I agree.

If ain't broken, don't fix it.
    Although there is a lot of experience on this forum, if something happens to the trailer with it removed, no-one is going to help you.

I say this with the most respect possible.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekindē)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by neoT View Post
    How much use has this trailer seen? If it didn't cause any problems upto now why worry about it....it might not be the best design decision but is it giving any problems?
    Good point, the trailer has seen some fairly rough use without any issues. I'm about to change out the shocks, so will be working on the suspension and so was just trying to figure out what these were and their purpose. More from the point of safety whilst working on the suspension, as I wasn't sure if they were under tension or anything, but it appears not.

Not an engineer but if I recall its more in conjunction with a beam axel as opposed to the means of suspension.
    The purpose of a torque rod is to help maintain pinion angle and stop axle wrap. This is primarily used on high torque/power rear beam axles. In that application it also is mounted on a bracket that is spaced from the axle. So as to be in a position to resist the torque. In this case aside from the obvious that the axle is undriven the mounting location is flush with the axle and on the same side as the spring. It would do nothing to resist rotation of the axle. The way it is setup it will only limit front to back movement of the axle, which is something the leaf spring should be doing.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

https://youtu.be/nBUosyrb960

This video does a pretty good job of explaining how it works, you can also see the mounting of the bar to the axle has some distance from the centre line. You will find this more exaggerated on most installations.

The key is also that it is a driven axle...

I am not saying remove it from your trailer, I am just saying I doubt it is doing much good there.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

As mentioned above somewhere, a leaf spring setup by design also acts as the trailing arm/torque rod on an axle. A coils sprung setup has no way of locating the axle in a way to prevent sideways and/ or lateral movement, therefore trailing arms/ torque rods are implemented to locate the axle.

Thus having leaf springs together with trailing arms make very little sense, especially on a non driven axle. On some high performance or high torque DRIVEN axles on leaf springs, a type of torque rod is sometimes used to prevent axle wrap under high torque applications. On a non driven trailer axle clearly there is no such action.

In the photo above, the leaves are fixed at on point and free on the other point, leaving the axle to actually move slightly forwards and backwards during suspension movement as the leaves deform. With the torque rod it can only move up and down in a slightly circular motion. I guess in its current design I think movement is restricted.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast