Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    34
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Thanks for all the info. I will wait till I get my new license disk from Spar, and then I will drop AARTO a mail to say that I took my disk out of the car on the day of the fine to renew it at the post office. You need the disk to write the register number and VIN number on the application form at the post office, so it is a valid reason for removing the disk when renewing your license disk. (At Spar they wanted the actual license disk when I renewed).

    Hopefully they don't pick up somehow that I renewed it on Monday already, but I will attach the old license disk and the new license disk.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Not displaying a disk is an offence. Pay the fine.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,605
    Thanked: 4705

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Slightly OT - for years I've been driving with my trailer's (valid) disc in my car and not displayed in the holder on the car. Started doing this after twice having the disc stolen out of the holder. Have never had a problem with any official after explaining.

    Unfortunately doesn't help the OP. Whoever issued the fine was being a richard cranium, but was in the right.
    Ettienne de Kock

    "ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith


    2000 Disco Td5
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    40
    Posts
    245
    Thanked: 520

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Quote Originally Posted by RasMan View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I will wait till I get my new license disk from Spar, and then I will drop AARTO a mail to say that I took my disk out of the car on the day of the fine to renew it at the post office. You need the disk to write the register number and VIN number on the application form at the post office, so it is a valid reason for removing the disk when renewing your license disk. (At Spar they wanted the actual license disk when I renewed).

    Hopefully they don't pick up somehow that I renewed it on Monday already, but I will attach the old license disk and the new license disk.
    If this is true, based on what the law says, Spar needs to pay the fine as they required you to remove the disk causing you to break the law.
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    65
    Posts
    20,126
    Thanked: 10290

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Good o'l SA. The law applies to everybody else but me.

    It's an open and shut case. Pay the fine and move on, there are more important things in life to get your knickers in a knot about.

    If you are just in the mood, then visit the Biden and Covid threads.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

    If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:


  7. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanked: 2028

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    How has this even gone onto 2 pages?? Ridiculous
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:


  9. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,965
    Thanked: 2512

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Quote Originally Posted by RasMan View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I will wait till I get my new license disk from Spar, and then I will drop AARTO a mail to say that I took my disk out of the car on the day of the fine to renew it at the post office. You need the disk to write the register number and VIN number on the application form at the post office, so it is a valid reason for removing the disk when renewing your license disk. (At Spar they wanted the actual license disk when I renewed).

    Hopefully they don't pick up somehow that I renewed it on Monday already, but I will attach the old license disk and the new license disk.
    I renewed my license on 12 August (license expires on 31 August)

    Here in Port Elizabeth we received an sms with a reference number to renew your license. You show the sms and quite your number plate details, then give your ID. You pay the R586 (for my vehicle) and they print out the new license document with disc.

    I am not sure if the sms thing is only for PE, but our colleague in CPT gave his license plate number and ID and he got his renewed at the post office. This could be a WC thing.

    Let us know what the outcome is of your attempt to squash the fine.
    Sent from my iPhone


  10. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,467
    Thanked: 5988

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    I will just ignore it. There is no proof that your licence was not displayed and you never had an expired licence either. I bet the officer won't even be able to decipher the reg number him/herself.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  12. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    51
    Posts
    145
    Thanked: 1827

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Finally got our company vehicles disks done, expired 21 days yesterday, but done on the 7th.
    Did not get a stickie advertising thing, to affix to to windscreen. After reading this post, got those holders at robot. Sorted.

  13. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,965
    Thanked: 2512

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I will just ignore it. There is no proof that your licence was not displayed and you never had an expired licence either. I bet the officer won't even be able to decipher the reg number him/herself.
    Unfortunately law enforcement don’t need to prove a violation. You will see under section B of the document (fine), you will see that there is a ‘tick’ - witness (yes) (no).

    If that is ticked, it is considered ’proof’. Similar to a cop seeing you drive without a seatbelt and giving you a fine.
    Sent from my iPhone


  14. #31
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Jozi
    Posts
    182
    Thanked: 65

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Quote Originally Posted by RasMan View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I will wait till I get my new license disk from Spar, and then I will drop AARTO a mail to say that I took my disk out of the car on the day of the fine to renew it at the post office. You need the disk to write the register number and VIN number on the application form at the post office, so it is a valid reason for removing the disk when renewing your license disk. (At Spar they wanted the actual license disk when I renewed).

    Hopefully they don't pick up somehow that I renewed it on Monday already, but I will attach the old license disk and the new license disk.
    So you are looking for a loop in the system whilst being dishonest? And then we wonder why that guy wants his "day in court", yet finds all possible avenues not to be in court.

    Please do write a good lie to AARTO.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hloni For This Useful Post:


  16. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WC
    Posts
    141
    Thanked: 23

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Deleted
    Last edited by Wolfx; 2021/09/24 at 03:15 AM.

  17. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,910
    Thanked: 561

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    I was an angel but I fell down from heaven because I was too heavy.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

  18. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    34
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 10

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    I am looking for a loop in the system in order to save R500. Having to pay R500 for not having a piece of paper in my windscreen when it was in the car with me is completely unnecessary. My license is valid, and the only reason that it was not in the disk holder is because I renewed it.

    The purpose, in my opinion, of having your license disk in the disk holder in the windscreen is so that traffic officials can easily verify your license to make sure it is valid. They could just not verify it, but it was still valid. If I was driving without the license disk, then I would happily accept fault as that is the same as driving without a license.

    I'll pay a fine if I know that I'm wrong, in this case I do not agree with the fine. Just my opinion, but I'm biased since I want to save R500

  19. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Durban or Centurion
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanked: 1371

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Quote Originally Posted by RasMan View Post
    I am looking for a loop in the system in order to save R500. Having to pay R500 for not having a piece of paper in my windscreen when it was in the car with me is completely unnecessary. My license is valid, and the only reason that it was not in the disk holder is because I renewed it.

    The purpose, in my opinion, of having your license disk in the disk holder in the windscreen is so that traffic officials can easily verify your license to make sure it is valid. They could just not verify it, but it was still valid. If I was driving without the license disk, then I would happily accept fault as that is the same as driving without a license.

    I'll pay a fine if I know that I'm wrong, in this case I do not agree with the fine. Just my opinion, but I'm biased since I want to save R500
    As you stated, the reason for it being displayed is so that it could be verified. You did not do this. Whether you had a valid disk or not is irrelevant - With your argument you may as well leave the valid disk at home.

    Whether you agree with the fine or not is irrelevant.

    You state that you’ll pay the fine if (you know) you are wrong, which you clearly are. Now you want to come up with some elaborate lie to try and show that you are not wrong, so clearly you recognise that you are at fault.

  20. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    265
    Thanked: 79

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Aarto will ask for proof (receipt) that you renewed the disc when the fine was issued. Pay up and move on.

  21. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    4,376
    Thanked: 2230

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Quote Originally Posted by RasMan View Post
    I am looking for a loop in the system in order to save R500. Having to pay R500 for not having a piece of paper in my windscreen when it was in the car with me is completely unnecessary. My license is valid, and the only reason that it was not in the disk holder is because I renewed it.

    The purpose, in my opinion, of having your license disk in the disk holder in the windscreen is so that traffic officials can easily verify your license to make sure it is valid. They could just not verify it, but it was still valid. If I was driving without the license disk, then I would happily accept fault as that is the same as driving without a license.

    I'll pay a fine if I know that I'm wrong, in this case I do not agree with the fine. Just my opinion, but I'm biased since I want to save R500
    But you removed it days earlier, as you said and drove around while not displaying it. In other words you did drive around on public roads while not displaying the disk. You got fined for it. Why argue about it?

    You surely don't need the original disk to renew a licence when the paper you cut the disk out from originally displays all the required information.
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

  22. #38
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    513
    Thanked: 620

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    Quote Originally Posted by Howie-WP View Post
    LoL at OP .....
    I seem to be quoting myself as it appears to be applicable (still.....)

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Howie-WP For This Useful Post:


  24. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Skelmbos
    Posts
    368
    Thanked: 220

    Default Re: Fine for no disk while disk is on seat

    This is taking semantics, for argument sake, to a stupid level.

    Even if you return from Spar, your first action would be to put it back on the windshield where it belongs.
    To leave it on the seat does not make any sense at all, given the fact that you had to drive as well.

    Just man up and pay. Seriously. It is not that a big issue. Law was very clear (pun intended).
    If you don't have the money, say so, and I will gladly donate R500 for you
    Last edited by GroenHoender; 2021/09/24 at 07:51 PM.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GroenHoender For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •