Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Why the CVT gearbox???

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    I see the new Corolla Cross have a cvt and no manual.....crazy!

Bostoe
    Jip, ordered one to replace my manual
    1.2T Qashqai, but having second thoughts about that gearbox now…

Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post
    Jip, ordered one to replace my manual
    1.2T Qashqai, but having second thoughts about that gearbox now…
    A 1.2 turbo with CVT should be good, the power to weight ratio should mean not too much clutch slippage is needed to get it accelerating. The 1.5dci should surely be very nice with a CVT, that's a great engine.

But try them both, what's the rated fuel economy/power for either option?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/09/24 at 12:49 AM.

Manual cars in general are dying breed. One of the solutions is CVT. Other include traditional auto and then electric clutch/gear change. Plenty to do cost cutting but also increasing number of drivers are not able to drive manuals

https://www.motor1.com/news/529477/v...anual-gearbox/

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    I see the new Corolla Cross have a cvt and no manual.....crazy!

Bostoe
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    A 1.2 turbo with CVT should be good, the power to weight ratio should mean not too much clutch slippage is needed to get it accelerating. The 1.5dci should surely be very nice with a CVT, that's a great engine.

I need to just take a moment to say it may feel like it is slipping, but it certainly isn't actually slipping. Once a CVT starts actually slipping the box will be dead shortly there after as any slip will in short order lead to more slip and very soon there after to no drive.

Just thought I would mention that as I see the word "slipping" on a number of posts.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

A CVT in anything under a 1.5 NA engine isn't great due to the almost never ending clutch slip feel but over that they seem to work well, even on the freeway. And they do maximise performance, when you floor it they jump straight to the engines sweet spot.

It is something to get used to though, it's a different feel. They cruise effortlessly though, really pleasant for open roads in town or on the freeway.
    I have a 1.5L with the CVT, auto gears as well as manual via paddles.
    I just love the car more than any other gearbox. Just great to see the engine revving 3000 to 3500 and see the speed picking up. On long trips I normally use manual mode.
    Cannot talk about the more powerful cars. So far with 120k on the clock in 14 years this car has been my best car yet in 48 years. A few batteries and sets of front disk pads but have not even put in a drop of water. Water perhaps topped up during services. Japanese original battery also my best lasting 7 years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    I need to just take a moment to say it may feel like it is slipping, but it certainly isn't actually slipping. Once a CVT starts actually slipping the box will be dead shortly there after as any slip will in short order lead to more slip and very soon there after to no drive.

Just thought I would mention that as I see the word "slipping" on a number of posts.
    Thank you.

For those interested in how a CVT works, here is a link to an article that explains it nicely:
    https://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

A typical belt driven CVT does have a forward and a reverse clutch between engine and transmission. The clutch only slips momentarily when starting to drive off, like with a manual transmission.
    Once the vehicle is moving, there isn't any slip, the input and output shafts of the transmission are mechanically linked by a belt.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

True, commander. If there was any slip it would go through those conical bits like a chain saw. I would say that the amount of slip is far less than on a regular auto.

Before I got mine I watched all the YouTube videos I could get and once you understand the principle it makes perfect sense.

If you have any doubt about the CVT box go and drive a 2.0 CVT Corolla, not the 1.8, that is a nice CVT.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

I'm just using the term that people relate to in terms of how it feels, I know it's not an actual clutch slipping. From my experience you get that clutch slipping feeling more on drivetrains with engines that are underpowered relative to the vehicle.

What in a CVT causes the experience of feeling like the clutch is slipping?

The way I understand it it's when the drive belt/cones combination dramatically increases the gear ratio(gears down) under harder acceleration and hence the revs also increase and you get the initial feeling of going nowhere with increasing revs much like a slipping clutch?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/09/24 at 02:18 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Duplicate
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/09/24 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Strange that people find the CVT annoying on the open road because that is exactly where it operates like any other gearbox. It keeps the revs low and constant. I've been driving a 1.8 CVT for a year now between JHB and PTA and open road there is no problem.

The up-market CVTs will mimic an automatic gearbox from low revs whereas entry level CVTs will mimic it once it hits 4500 rpm plus. There is no difference in the feel between an up-market CVT with up to 8 "gear changes" and an average auto box. Toyota has gone one step further and added one physical gear as a first gear and the rest runs on the belt so there is a lot of development happening with CVTs.

CVTs sapp less power than a normal auto, remember that it is a direct drive all the way with no torque converter once on the move. My average for the past year and 30000km is 17,5 km/L and for a petrol auto that is brilliant.
    I agree with you about the open road aspect.

I love the Outlander's cvt. The later model we have 2016 is superior to our 2010 model in that it doesn't raise the revs as quickly when accelerating on the move.

I do agree that driving it hard could be annoying but we drive ours probably the way it was intended for so my wife and I quite enjoy it. I have not driven a small car with a cvt though and so cannot comment there.
    Kevin
    2016 VW Polo Vivo 1.4
    2014 Mitsubishi Outlander (wife's car).
    1969 Series IIa 109 station wagon (Chev 3800 engine) Sold

Quote Originally Posted by veedub View Post
    I really enjoy the CVT box in the X-Trail.

Like with most things, you need to learn how it works and adapt your driving style.

I love the fact that you keep your right foot steady on a flat road and the speed just keeps increasing, with no increase in rpm...

Also makes accelerating uphill so much easier...no downshift and then upshift...just peak torque all the way.

For the 'noise', just turn the radio up

Exactly....know how it works and adapt accordingly.
    Kevin
    2016 VW Polo Vivo 1.4
    2014 Mitsubishi Outlander (wife's car).
    1969 Series IIa 109 station wagon (Chev 3800 engine) Sold

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhodie For This Useful Post:

Meant the Corolla Cross with the 1.8NA CVT. Looking for a similar motor/gearbox combo to go drive before putting down my name on one.

Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post
    Meant the Corolla Cross with the 1.8NA CVT. Looking for a similar motor/gearbox combo to go drive before putting down my name on one.
    The 1.8 Corolla and 1.8 Corolla Quest has exactly the same engine/gearbox combination.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3