Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why the CVT gearbox???

Good Morning

I am a bit worried about future motoring... almost all new vehicles are equipped with CVT gearboxes. I find these gearboxes extremely awful to drive.

Yes, they are okay if you drive with a gentle approach, but as soon as you give it some stick it revs up to the redline and stays there until you lift your foot of the gas.... I am a spirited driver and do not think I will ever be able to adapt to CVT boxes.

What do other members think?

Cheers
    T

Default Re: Why the CVT gearbox???

I sold a vehicle (Mitsu Outlander) within 3 months after buying purely because of the CVT box. It is an awfull piece of rubbish. Other than that it was a great vehicle. The testdrive did not disclose all the shortcomings of the CVT box.
    Last edited by jaconell; 2021/09/24 at 04:43 AM.
    Jaco Nell

If they can be made to last they are the perfect compromise, literally in the right gear all of the time. No interruption in drive (like when pressing the clutch or changing between ratios) and they can offer best of both worlds, stay in the power band when driving hard or in the economy band when cruising. They make the best engineering sense especially now with stricter and stricter emissions rules.

Also, manufacturers build cars for the majority, and the majority will prefer apple carplay and better economy ahead of driver engagement. They also change cars before 100k km...

CVT's are here to stay until they can be replaced by electric drive in one shape or another.

Oh, and by the way, I hate them too! 🙂

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swiegie1 View Post
    Good Morning

I am a bit worried about future motoring... almost all new vehicles are equipped with CVT gearboxes. I find these gearboxes extremely awful to drive.

Yes, they are okay if you drive with a gentle approach, but as soon as you give it some stick it revs up to the redline and stays there until you lift your foot of the gas.... I am a spirited driver and do not think I will ever be able to adapt to CVT boxes.

What do other members think?

Cheers
    T
    the bit in bold is not the case, plenty of auto's and DSG's but very few CVT's for sale

In theory a CVT will always be in the perfect "gear" - your engine develops peak power at a specific RPM so for maximum performance you should keep the engine at that RPM and change the gear ratio as the speed climbs. Same goes for cruising - engine sits at peak torque which should be its most efficient RPM.

PS I also dont like them, but they do make sense in small cars where you need to use every last kw/nm available to you
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/09/23 at 09:38 AM.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    I sold a vehicle (Mitsu Outlander) within 3 months after buying purely because of the CVT box.
    It's the one and only thing I don't like about SWAMBO's Mitsu Eclipse Cross

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~135000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 35000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

Ive only ever experienced the cvt in small, 'underpowered', city cars. I can see that it will probably work puttering around town, but man, out on the open road, its just awful! Theres a very obvious feeling of it sapping power from the small motors.

Maybe its better on higher powered cars, but, I would never ever ever buy a vehicle with cvt!
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

My son had an Audi A4 3.0 V6 with CVT or Multitronic. It was a beautiful thing to drive. I really enjoyed it, especially when giving it some berries. So it can be good. I also drove a Subaru with CVT and it was similarly good.

The Yaris CVT was a bit more like you describe, yet the Verso was great again. I have not driven any other CVT's. The principle is good, it seems to be the execution is not always up to standard.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

I think 8 or 10 speed auto boxes (with very good electronic control) are much better.
    They keep the engine close to optimum rpm in any case.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB
    2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

The principle is fantastic. As billions of poegies globally will attest.

The metal to metal friction power transfer is what bothers me in heavier vehicles.

In town it is quite nice to drive, can't get used to it on the open road though.

Personal opinion is that a proper dct box is the best of both worlds.
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

I must admit that there are plenty new cars that still comes with DSG and 6/8/10 speed torque converter gearboxes, but they are also priced close to 1 Bar.

Most of the more affordable cars are coming in CVT auto's only, although there are some luxury cars also.

What comes to mind:

New Subaru WRX
    New Lexus IS
    Toyota Corolla, CHR, Yaris, Rav
    Honda

Just to name a few. I was considering looking at a new vehicle that is not to hard on the budget, but the vehicles I liked - look wise - had cvt's

I still prefer the Germans with the DSG or Torque converter boxes. (I will just have to wait a bit longer and buy another BMW)

I am officially a DSG convert.

Especially in sport mode.

A WK and 8J.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    I am officially a DSG convert.

Especially in sport mode.
    DSG is an awesome compromise, just keep up with the oil services and have some mechanical sympathy when crawling on steep inclines and heavy towing.

My Q5 goes like a stabbed rat in sport mode, and with quatto it has the grip to match, puts a smile on my face every time!

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

A CVT in anything under a 1.5 NA engine isn't great due to the almost never ending clutch slip feel but over that they seem to work well, even on the freeway. And they do maximise performance, when you floor it they jump straight to the engines sweet spot.

It is something to get used to though, it's a different feel. They cruise effortlessly though, really pleasant for open roads in town or on the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    DSG is an awesome compromise, just keep up with the oil services and have some mechanical sympathy when crawling on steep inclines and heavy towing.

My Q5 goes like a stabbed rat in sport mode, and with quatto it has the grip to match, puts a smile on my face every time!
    Going to Panic Garage for oil change next week.

The 3.2 and DSG is awesome in a small roadster.

A WK and 8J.

Strange that people find the CVT annoying on the open road because that is exactly where it operates like any other gearbox. It keeps the revs low and constant. I've been driving a 1.8 CVT for a year now between JHB and PTA and open road there is no problem.

The up-market CVTs will mimic an automatic gearbox from low revs whereas entry level CVTs will mimic it once it hits 4500 rpm plus. There is no difference in the feel between an up-market CVT with up to 8 "gear changes" and an average auto box. Toyota has gone one step further and added one physical gear as a first gear and the rest runs on the belt so there is a lot of development happening with CVTs.

CVTs sapp less power than a normal auto, remember that it is a direct drive all the way with no torque converter once on the move. My average for the past year and 30000km is 17,5 km/L and for a petrol auto that is brilliant.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Going to Panic Garage for oil change next week.

The 3.2 and DSG is awesome in a small roadster.
    If you are going to own a DSG you have to stick to the oil changes, nobody better than Stephan to look after it.

I'm ambivalent between a modern DSG and modern autobox with lockup clutches in each gear, they are both super smooth when cruising and make for a very nice drive when you push on a bit. Only when you start towing heavy stuff does the autobox beat out the DSG.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    I sold a vehicle (Mitsu Outlander) within 3 months after buying purely because of the CVT box. It is an awfull piece of rubbish. Other than that it was a great vehicle. The testdrive did not disclose all the shortcomings if the CVT box.
    I thought my outlander cvt was actually very good.Yes they revvy but i could not fault it.especially with the paddle shifters to use when needed

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    If you are going to own a DSG you have to stick to the oil changes, nobody better than Stephan to look after it.

I'm ambivalent between a modern DSG and modern autobox with lockup clutches in each gear, they are both super smooth when cruising and make for a very nice drive when you push on a bit. Only when you start towing heavy stuff does the autobox beat out the DSG.
    Agree 100%, nothing beats that torque converter for heavy towing and crawling on inclines.

On a side note I recently drove a Raptor with the 10 speed box, not sure if it was bad learned behaviour from the lady owner or just something with that specific vehicle, but I found that gearbox intrusive and down right annoying. I really hope they aren't all like that...

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post

I am not going to tow anything. Only have to pack my hairdresser tools.

Name:  TT.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  194.2 KB

A WK and 8J.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

I am not going to tow anything. Only have to pack my hairdresser tools.

I have always liked the TT, I actually toyed with the idea before buying the X3 but decided my mid life crisis car can wait a bit longer
    Anton Muller

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

30. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast