Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    George
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 2

    Default Hilux ABS problem

    Hello

    I was hoping someone here could shed some light on a problem I have.

    Hilux DC 3.0D4D 2012 4x2

    If I drive up or sometimes down a pass, tar road perfect conditions and turn left or right, the opposite side I am turning, the abs would engage briefly. That is if I turn right the left front brakes will engage just for a moment.

    ABS or ESP or both?

    Where do I start? Clean sensors or just replace them?

    TIA
    Last edited by GrobbieB; 2021/09/22 at 06:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    65
    Posts
    374
    Thanked: 232

    Default Re: Hilux ABS problem

    As most of driving these days is tar roads and ABS seldom gets used thus it sometimes acts up due to lack of use. Try taking a good sand road and stomping on the brakes to lock up wheels. ABS should come into play and perform as it should. This will give the system a bit of exercise. M2cw. Good luck

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    44
    Posts
    12,787
    Thanked: 2651

    Default Re: Hilux ABS problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    As most of driving these days is tar roads and ABS seldom gets used thus it sometimes acts up due to lack of use. Try taking a good sand road and stomping on the brakes to lock up wheels. ABS should come into play and perform as it should. This will give the system a bit of exercise. M2cw. Good luck
    I sincerely hope nobody asks you advise about airbags!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

    Then it it a chisel.

    083 399 2046

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    65
    Posts
    374
    Thanked: 232

    Default Re: Hilux ABS problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    I sincerely hope nobody asks you advise about airbags!
    I'm not being sarcastic or anything. Used this myself from time to time. My Prado gets used in DAC mode from time to time going downhill needless to say it exercises the ABS quite a bit. My common 2 ( cents) sense.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    58
    Posts
    429
    Thanked: 666

    Default Re: Hilux ABS problem

    Sounds more like a traction control issue than ABS. Since the outside wheels are travelling through a larger arc than the inner wheels, they would have to be turning faster. To the traction control it may appear that they are losing traction, so the brakes are applied to the faster turning wheels.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2021/09/22 at 08:14 PM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    4,337
    Thanked: 2184

    Default Hilux ABS problem

    Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    Sounds more like a traction control issue than ABS. Since the outside wheels are travelling through a larger arc than the inner wheels, they would have to be turning faster. To the traction control it may appear that they are losing traction, so the brakes are applied to the faster turning wheels.
    Itís a 4x2. OP states the front brake engage. TC wouldnít work on the front axle, itís not a driven axle.

    Sounds like the stability control seems to think the vehicle oversteers. Are there any lights coming on on the dashboard, like ABS or stability control?
    Does this happen when stability control gets deactivated?
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2021/09/22 at 11:46 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    George
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Hilux ABS problem

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Itís a 4x2. OP states the front brake engage. TC wouldnít work on the front axle, itís not a driven axle.

    Sounds like the stability control seems to think the vehicle oversteers. Are there any lights coming on on the dashboard, like ABS or stability control?
    Does this happen when stability control gets deactivated?
    I think you might be on to something.

    No warning lights at all.

    I have switched off the ESP but it switches back on if i go driving speed.

    A member has sent me some info on troubleshooting. Will give it a go and report back.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,312
    Thanked: 646

    Default Re: Hilux ABS problem

    Go into live values with diagnostic and check the steering angle sensor value



  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeBob For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Crosby
    Age
    21
    Posts
    6
    Thanked: 0

    Post Re: Hilux ABS problem

    Hi hope everyone is doing well

    Today I got my steering rack replaced on my 2010 toyota fortuner and after putting everything back together I took the car for a drive the alignment is totally off
    when I drive about 40 to 50 the brakes grind and the traction light comes with that there is a beep noise that also come on
    Just to mention 1 more thing the car looses power after 40 to 50

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Roodekrans
    Posts
    39
    Thanked: 37

    Default Re: Hilux ABS problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Tauhir View Post
    Hi hope everyone is doing well

    Today I got my steering rack replaced on my 2010 toyota fortuner and after putting everything back together I took the car for a drive the alignment is totally off
    when I drive about 40 to 50 the brakes grind and the traction light comes with that there is a beep noise that also come on
    Just to mention 1 more thing the car looses power after 40 to 50
    Cntl+c.....cntrl+v. Clever hey Were you ever in a class at school higher than f?

    Myne: Wildtrak 4x4
    Hare: GV 2.4

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •